Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

"Picnic Bag" for Hospital

(44 Posts)
SheepyIzzy Sun 28-Jan-24 14:22:36

Well!

On Thursday, after several hours at minor injuries, I was told to take mum to A&E, "she is expected!"

Never been to A&E before, we took a bag with clean undies for mum "just in case". (I also wake around 5.15am each morning!)

We got home, both shattered on Friday around midday (out of A&E at 7.30am!) as xrays had been booked at Minor Injuries and she got a good telling off by the nurse (long story!!)

Anyhow, my sister said to me "Next time, take a picnic! That's what we did when we took Luke" meaning her son!

Hence Picnic Bag!

Budget price please, max around £25 (prefer cheaper), something that could hold a couple of 500ml flasks (i have a Thermos direct drink and a 450ml Thermos king) and some containers (think cart'dor Ice cream tubs, perfect for butties, we keep good stuff like that, even good for plant pots).

Nothing too bulky or heavy but that could stand up as a bag I have is heavy to start with and by the time you start adding clobber, blimey!

Blossoming Mon 29-Jan-24 23:57:43

Bottled water and flapjack are good for emergency rations, but if the person you’re accompanying needs blood tests or the like then eating may not be a good idea.

OldFrill Tue 30-Jan-24 00:08:37

I'd use a supermarket bag for life, or just a regular carrier bag depending how much l was taking. Hospitals with A&E generally have shops/drinks machines so doubt I'd bother taking a 'picnic', there are usually water stations too, at most I'd take a bottle of water and a packet of biscuits.

Marydoll Tue 30-Jan-24 00:48:19

Blossoming

Bottled water and flapjack are good for emergency rations, but if the person you’re accompanying needs blood tests or the like then eating may not be a good idea.

I agree with Blossoming.

Eating while waiting to be seen is not a good idea for the patient. You never know what might need to be done. I speak from experience, after many hospital admissions.
I have never taken, nor needed a picnic bag.

NotAGran55 Tue 30-Jan-24 06:25:38

If I had an accident or emergency I don’t think I would stop to pack a picnic bag. I’d be keen to get myself or the patient there as soon as possible.

But to answer your question, Waitrose has a large selection of reusable bags. Other supermarkets are available.

www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/kitchen_dining_and_home/newsagents/reusable_bags

HelterSkelter1 Tue 30-Jan-24 06:41:07

I use a Waitrose 6 bottle bag and cut the dividers out. It makes a very useful light bag which stands up and holds lots. And folds up. They used to be under £1.00 but now are £3.00!!! Still good value I suppose.

Cadenza123 Tue 30-Jan-24 07:41:32

I have a grab bag on standby for my DH. Contains his meds, wipes, phone charger tissues and a bottle of water. Our hospital has a shop and Costa, plus restaurant for longer stays.

RosiesMaw Tue 30-Jan-24 07:45:41

Don’t forget though that a patient may need to be NBM in the event of a procedure. I would always check before encouraging food and drink other than water.

Aveline Tue 30-Jan-24 07:48:40

That's just what I was going to say.

Marydoll Tue 30-Jan-24 08:16:57

If you need to go to A&E, time is of the essence, Why would you stop to pack a picnic bag? You normally don't have time to think?

I have a bag ready packed with essentials, which has saved DH unnecessary stress on a number of occasions. especially during the pandemic, when he wasn't allowed to accompany me to hospital.
One of the questions always asked by paramedics has been, Do you have a bag packed for hospital admissions?
Mine has a red ribbon tied to the handle and my children know exactly where it is.

Knitandnatter Tue 30-Jan-24 08:31:51

Personally, I would just take a small bottle of water and some cereal bars.
In the event of an emergency there simply wouldn't be time to start packing sandwiches and making a flask of tea/coffee and an ambulance crew might not welcome large bags of refreshments in addition to the patients medication and personal effects.
Potentially being NBM is another consideration so best not to sit in the ED waiting room with high tea spread around you whilst waiting to see a doctor.

Bonnybanko Tue 30-Jan-24 08:44:58

Soup in a flask a buttered cold meat roll if its a visit to a&e during the night the same flask can hold tinned rice and some tinned fruit, I had a special flask not the tea nor coffee ones they’re a little God send look on Amazon they even hold icecream or choc ices for warm days -good luck

Bonnybanko Tue 30-Jan-24 08:49:00

Food flasks from Morrisons £8.40

RosiesMaw Tue 30-Jan-24 09:00:54

TBH given the state of A&E waiting rooms I have seen and the potential condition of patients around me, I think it would be horrendous to have somebody tucking into soup/stew/a picnic beside me - especially if feeling really poorly.
I also think waiting areas need to be restricted to the patient and one person accompanying them not, as I have seen, what seems like whole (extended) families including young children.
Factor a “picnic” with food smells, packaging and litter or spillage into that and it would be unbearable.
People seem to need to eat everywhere - buses, trains, cinemas, theatres and now waiting rooms. There are usually machines for drinks and small snacks, but your own bottle of water is always a good idea.

Marmight Tue 30-Jan-24 09:01:37

Try an insulated backpack which leaves arms free for other paraphernalia?

Ive had 3 hospital stays in the last few weeks. After the first, I prepared a ‘just in case’ bag with all the essentials not realising how soon I would have to use it. Food is not on the list - top is a large cosy velour throw, much needed after spending the first night shivering under a thin cotton blanket whilst wearing my coat. 🥶 On the upside free sandwiches & hot drinks were available in A&E.

Marydoll Tue 30-Jan-24 09:11:38

I think it would be horrendous to have somebody tucking into soup/stew/a picnic beside me.

This!

SheepyIzzy Tue 30-Jan-24 11:49:25

Knitandnatter

Personally, I would just take a small bottle of water and some cereal bars.
In the event of an emergency there simply wouldn't be time to start packing sandwiches and making a flask of tea/coffee and an ambulance crew might not welcome large bags of refreshments in addition to the patients medication and personal effects.
Potentially being NBM is another consideration so best not to sit in the ED waiting room with high tea spread around you whilst waiting to see a doctor.

It appears that the word "Picnic" has been the wrong word to use, going by the replies.

I wasn't suggesting that we took picnic type food, I was suggesting a bag that could stand up by itself, a bag that could hold a few tubs.

I have NEVER been to A&E before and apart from pre-med for myself when I took enough grub to last a day (pre-med in morning then physio in afternoon so I spent the whole day at hospital) mums appointments have always been consultations, that's all. We were told to go to A&E because she fell down, at 81 and decrepit she bruises pretty bad and between Minor Injuries telling us to go and a phone call from Medical Team telling us to come was 3 hours, but we had to be seen in A&E BEFORE the medical team took mum.

Mum also has pills 3 times a day, lots of pills ALL to be taken with or after food, because she had NO food she didn't have her pills so she is now, stiffer than ever trying to get the pain pills to catch up.

You lot may be more out and about, mum isnt, anywhere we go is controlled by bowel and bladder issues, have been for decades and as she has got more fragile, even more so. Even a bit of liquid at wrong time or wrong type can put everything out..Don't give me 'see your GP' as she has, this isn't new, this is all ongoing!

My question was only meant to be as I had stated, a bag that could stand up on its own.

Oh, and the reason I asked was that whilst I was there, 4 other patients in the same area had bags with flasks in them, they'd already emptied them, they were waiting for a bed!

Baggs Tue 30-Jan-24 12:00:07

The bottle bag idea sounds good, perhaps with only some of the divisions cut out, so that a couple of bottles/flasks would stay upright and there still be room for your ice-cream tubs.

Theexwife Tue 30-Jan-24 12:30:30

There is always food and drink available in an A&E. If there is time and inclination to pack a bag with food and drink then I would question the reason for going to an A&E.

OldFrill Tue 30-Jan-24 13:28:13

Theexwife

There is always food and drink available in an A&E. If there is time and inclination to pack a bag with food and drink then I would question the reason for going to an A&E.

Not every A&E visit is an emergency. My GP referred me to A&E and advised me to go home and pack an overnight bag before going.

Blossoming Tue 30-Jan-24 13:58:32

You lot may be more out and about

Actually SheepIzzy many of us are not “out and about”, myself included, and also have complex drug routines.

You asked a question, I answered with what I thought was helpful information.

Marydoll Tue 30-Jan-24 15:26:40

Blossoming

^You lot may be more out and about^

Actually SheepIzzy many of us are not “out and about”, myself included, and also have complex drug routines.

You asked a question, I answered with what I thought was helpful information.

Same here Blossoming. Many of us have our life controlled by a drug regime and have considerable experience of being A&E There are nineteen drugs on my repeat (not boasting of course. 😉)
Therefore I always have a snack in my bag for emergencies.

Vintagegirl Fri 02-Feb-24 11:19:52

My 'go bag' would have some clothes/nightwear/slipper, toiletries and some gluten free snacks and some sweets especially throat lozengers.

sandelf Fri 02-Feb-24 11:26:00

Some ideas for us all here. www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/13-hospital-waiting-room-care-package-ideas/

Ali08 Fri 02-Feb-24 11:27:03

You'll be wanting special seats and a season ticket next!

Haha, sorry, I couldn't resist!