Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I’m so annoyed!

(7 Posts)
Sasta Sat 10-Feb-24 15:17:07

Driving home at 8pm in the rain this week, somebody came out of a junction and hit our car which was on the main road. We pulled over and by the time we were out of the car the car was in the distance driving away. They knew full well it was their fault, they couldn’t miss the awful crunching sound of our rear door being bashed in yet chose to just duck out of the responsibility. Just that really, very annoyed that people can be so damn rotten. Insurance will cover the cost (new door and wheel arch plus damaged paint work) but there’s a £450 excess which really grates 🤬.

midgey Sat 10-Feb-24 15:20:09

You must be furious! I would be too. flowers

Visgir1 Sat 10-Feb-24 15:21:41

Sorry to hear this.. I reckon that car wasn't insured.

Aveline Sat 10-Feb-24 15:22:13

Oh no. How infuriating. At times like these I really hope for Karma!

Grammaretto Sat 10-Feb-24 15:29:06

When that happened to me my DS managed to get the number and the police tracked them down. The culprits were uninsured and it didn't really help because my car was a write off.
Could your incident have been caught on CCTV or dash cam?
I hope you reported it?

Sasta Sat 10-Feb-24 15:49:45

Thank you, sympathy very well received. We didn’t report to the police, but spoke to our insurers right away once we got home and that side is all sorted. Although, I do think the insurers might look into the CCTV directly themselves. They have a marvellous team of what I’d call ‘chasers’ who will take ages tracking drivers down. We were hit at a roundabout three years ago by huge lorry cutting us up, from another country, the drivers didn’t speak English, I got photos of their car details but once they returned to their country, they couldn’t be found. 18 months later our insurers sent us a cheque for the excess charge as they had managed to track them down. Incredible. I think now though, I might pop into our local police station to ask about the CCTV, thank you for the suggestion.

ElaineI Sat 10-Feb-24 15:58:30

So frustrating but agree you should report it. Could have been stolen or involved in robbery or caught on CCTV in side road.