Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hip replacement.

(34 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:15:09

I have a date for my op and am wondering how long I will need help at home. My daughter is willing to stay a few days. Will that be enough or should I try to get more help?

tanith Fri 23-Feb-24 14:33:32

It really depends on how able you are before surgery, if you have stairs to negotiate, and how well you’ve prepared i.e. ready made meals, easy on clothes etc.
I’m a long way from getting a date for my revision (I’ve already had both done previously) but I know what to expect and plan on my daughter stay for 3/4 days then my other daughter popping in every day. I know there are those who manage alone from day one. Everyone is different. I wish you good luck.

Liz46 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:33:54

Kircubbin, I will follow this as the private physio I was going to said I need a replacement. I had an appointment with an advanced physio at the hospital but it was cancelled at the last minute.
I know this is not the point of your thread but would you mind telling me how long you waited?
I would guess that you may need more help.
Maybe food deliveries, a cleaner etc. for a few weeks.

Mizuna Fri 23-Feb-24 14:41:34

I had both hips replaced four months apart. I like to be left to myself so I had no help at home but did order in nice quality ready meals ahead of the operations. I was out and about in a week or so. I'm having a knee replacement in June and plan to do the same. I do have the confidence of knowing I have two sons and daughters-in-law nearby plus lots of friends plus a neighbour who shares a landing with me and would call on them if I felt the need but would hate to have someone waiting on me. But then I'm not conventional, I realise!

kircubbin2000 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:44:23

I have been in pain for 2 years and my GP dismissed it as minor wear and tear so I am going private.

silverlining48 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:51:07

Kircubbin have a look on the long running and very informative hip and knee thread which you w ill find under the health forum . Look fir the Dancing girls 👯‍♀️ to help spot where we are. For some reason we rarely get into to the Active list. Despite complaints to gnet but there is lots of advice and support there.
As for a how many days you might need help there are many on the hip thread who were on their own from the start and coped, so a few days at the start will definitely help. Though it would be nice to have someone longer if you have anyone else who can pop in, or keep you company.
I will just say this is generally a very successful procedure and you will be so pleased 😀 when it’s all done.

silverlining48 Fri 23-Feb-24 14:55:37

Mizuna it’s my understanding that knee replacement is more complicated surgery with a slightly longer recovery time.
No doubt you know this already but wanted to mention just in case.
Hope all goes well.

Imarocker Fri 23-Feb-24 15:16:28

You will only want to go up and downstairs once a day. At first you will be walking with crutches so you can’t carry a cup of tea into the lounge. When DH was on crutches we put the kettle and microwave on the dining room table!
Most importantly, you cannot bend or twist for 6 weeks. Ie you can’t pick anything up off the floor even if you are sitting down. So you need to buy a pair of ‘grabbers’ for picking things up.. You won’t be able to change your compression stockings by yourself.
If you live on your own you need to make sure you have pre-cooked meals in the freezer or order ready meals from a supermarket.
Where you live needs to be assessed by an occupational therapist who will give you whatever aids you need, including a higher chair if necessary.
On the bright side, I had no pain after the op and was out after three days.

Aveline Fri 23-Feb-24 15:25:49

I never had crutches. Two sticks then rapidly down to just one then none in the house. Recovery from hip replacement is amazingly quick compared to knee replacement.
My DD opened the front door to us the day she was d/c from hospital and never used sticks at all.

silverlining48 Fri 23-Feb-24 17:04:59

Imarocker. Highly unlikely that an OT will visit and provide equipment so best not to rely on that.
I was given two sticks and a raised toilet seat and after 36 hours discharged. In the loft in case my other hip needs replacing.
There’s lots of helpful advice about useful equipment to pick up on the hip and knee thread. Don’t forget to look for the 👯‍♀️
I love my long handled shoe horns, the picker uppers are good too.

Mizuna Fri 23-Feb-24 17:08:53

silverlining48

Mizuna it’s my understanding that knee replacement is more complicated surgery with a slightly longer recovery time.
No doubt you know this already but wanted to mention just in case.
Hope all goes well.

Thank you, yes it's a more complicated operation and, I found, more painful. I had my other knee done seven years ago. I went out to a café after a week but as I'm a bit older now I'll take it day by day!

Mizuna Fri 23-Feb-24 17:11:38

I love the grabbers I was given and still use them, as do my grandchildren. Ended up with two of them so one is hanging up at my allotment where it's been invaluable.

LadyGracie Fri 23-Feb-24 17:28:45

DH had his hip replaced on Tuesday and came home yesterday with crutches and a zimmer (he prefers the zimmer) and is walking about regularly. He has some oozing in the dressing (blood) which we're assured is normal.
Apart from discomfort you'd expect in the hip area (totally different to the pain before the op) he's doing well even with his arthritic knees.

silverlining48 Fri 23-Feb-24 18:04:35

It’s usually life changing, the pain goes away almost instantly. Glad all going well with your dh LadyGracie

LadyGracie Fri 23-Feb-24 18:09:43

Thank you silverlining48
I've been reading the old threads, reassuring to read that recovery is different for everyone.
I shall go with the flow as far as DH's recovery is concerned.

Liz46 Fri 23-Feb-24 19:38:50

kircubbin2000

I have been in pain for 2 years and my GP dismissed it as minor wear and tear so I am going private.

My GP said minor wear and tear. The NHS physio wasn’t very good so I went private and she couldn’t quite understand what was going on so asked me to get a copy of the x-ray report. It was NOT minor wear and tear.
There is a website called Bonesmart which is about knee and hip replacements.

kircubbin2000 Fri 23-Feb-24 20:23:12

I wonder if the NHS is discouraging older people from going on the waiting list.

Katie59 Fri 23-Feb-24 22:08:18

How much help you need depends on how mobile you are now, if you’re fairly able now you will be OK after a few days, a bed downstairs will make it easier and safer. Carrying drinks and plates will be hard with 2 crutches so a chair in the kitchen is a help.
OH had a hip done and was using one crutch after 1 week able to carry a mug or a plate and fully mobile in 3 weeks.

Summysoom Fri 23-Feb-24 22:32:40

I had my hip replaced three weeks ago and was discharged the day after surgery. I’ve found that I’m rehabbing much more quickly than my first hip op - about 3 years ago.
My husband was going skiing a week after my surgery so my sister moved in to help me and I was grateful as she helped with things like the rubbish and recycling. I could have managed on my own but it did really help to have her around. Having mugs of tea delivered was a bonus!
Sleep has been more elusive this time as I’ve found sleeping on my back much more difficult. I’ve recently taken delivery of a ‘Slumber Support’ from Cambridge Futon Company. Best purchase as it means my operated leg is fully supported which enables me to sleep on my side. Brilliant!
The other useful purchase was a cheap tabard (£5) with a big front pocket. I can carry my iPad, my book etc up and down stairs, leaving my hands free for the banister.
My advice is to start the physio/rehab exercises before your surgery to build up your muscles.

Gwyllt Fri 23-Feb-24 23:27:05

kircubbin2000 don’t think it’s age. Think waiting lists in NHS just getting longer the various strikes not helping All sorts of ops seem to be getting cancelled

Grannytomany Sat 24-Feb-24 00:09:59

Imarocker

You will only want to go up and downstairs once a day. At first you will be walking with crutches so you can’t carry a cup of tea into the lounge. When DH was on crutches we put the kettle and microwave on the dining room table!
Most importantly, you cannot bend or twist for 6 weeks. Ie you can’t pick anything up off the floor even if you are sitting down. So you need to buy a pair of ‘grabbers’ for picking things up.. You won’t be able to change your compression stockings by yourself.
If you live on your own you need to make sure you have pre-cooked meals in the freezer or order ready meals from a supermarket.
Where you live needs to be assessed by an occupational therapist who will give you whatever aids you need, including a higher chair if necessary.

I had no assessment of any kind and the only equipment I was provided with was the crutches I came out of hospital with and a walking stick. Anything else I needed I had to buy.

The main things I would have found it very difficult to manage without without were two litterpickets and a high toilet seat (I got the one with a frame which fit round the toilet).

Grannytomany Sat 24-Feb-24 00:15:07

Imarocker

The advice you’re giving about bending down won’t apply to everyone. It depends on what method has been used to replace the joint. I had no movement restrictions other than those my own body applied - it was weeks before I get to my feet!

Best to check with the surgeon before discharge.

downtoearth Sat 24-Feb-24 08:15:35

I had THR at the end of April last year,discharged next day,I live alone and managed really well,walking without support, week after,crutches more of a hindrance than a help.
Grabber,raised toilet seat,and bath board for iver bath shower all invaluable,but bought myself,and a sockaid is brilliant for tights as well.
Recovered really quickly, would also recommend having epidural rather than GA, as you feel better straight after op.

Charleygirl5 Sat 24-Feb-24 17:57:41

A friend of mine, an ex orthopaedic ward sister was told by a physio at the age of 80 she is too old for a THR as it would be a waste of resources.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Feb-24 19:08:53

That’s dreadful Charleygirl. Am sure that’s not right. Many 80 year olds are still very active.