CoolCoco
I wouldn't mind being under Andy Burnham
You could start a whole new thread here. Which MP wouldn't you mind being under?
You have brightened my day. 4th week of the school summer hols and I'm starting to flag. 
Why has Andy Burnham said that older pensioners, those born before April 1950, will get a lower triple lock deal than those born after that date?
Older pensioners pay the same for a supermarket shop as younger pensioners so why the reduction?
I'm beginning to go right off him!
CoolCoco
I wouldn't mind being under Andy Burnham
You could start a whole new thread here. Which MP wouldn't you mind being under?
You have brightened my day. 4th week of the school summer hols and I'm starting to flag. 
Ewwwe CoolCoco - no thank you!
😱
I wouldn't mind being under Andy Burnham
eazybee
^I'm beginning to go right off him!^ ??
I have been off him since he forced his way into being Prime Minister.
His aims are deliberately divisive: North against South, old against young, working against middle class, feckless against responsible.
A true Marxist.
I dont agree!
Thank you Graphite!
eazybee
Maybe you should be less worried about Burnham being a "True Marxist" and more concerned that the rookie 'journalist' in the Daily Express regards the state pension as a "handout" - presumably with editorial approval?
Thanks, Graphite
So, to make it absolutely clear? Burnham was stating a fact, not a future policy.
Except of, course, a number of pensioners born after 1950 still get the 'old' pension rate because the 'new ' rate applied to men born after April 1951 and women born after April 1953. Was it the journalist or Burnham who got this wrong?
These kinds of threads keep coming up.
I checked the Daily Express article. It describes the state pension as a handout which rather sets the tone.
But it does clearly say:
For older state pensioners, the increase would be the same 4.1% rise, but on a smaller starting amount, as the older state pension pays a smaller total, currently £184.90 per week. *However, older state pensioners can also get now-defunct schemes such as the Second State Pension or SERPs, which younger state pensioners can't access.*
Sloppy reporting from a young journalist, Alex Evans whose background is in local news for regional papers and who is clearly not a pensions expert
For someone whose NIC record covers years before and after April 2016, their SERPS/SSP is taken into account in the pension calculation and part of it paid as a “protected payment” so they are no worse off under the new state pension system.
I and others have explained many times in great detail how the the old and new state pension systems work.
As DD said upthread, everyone’s pension will differ depending on how many years NIC they paid, how much they paid in graduation contributions, how much they paid into SERPS/SSP, whether they were in a works pension scheme that was contracted out, whether they inherited pension from a late spouse or civil partner and whether they deferred receipt of their pension.
The government provides statistical data through Statxplore.
This is the latest based on November 2025 published in May 2026. The next update is due next month.
As you can see from the chart there is not much difference overall in the average pension paid to different age groups. The average pension paid last year to someone age 89 was £218.34 so about the same as the average pension paid to someone 69 which was £217.87.
In May 2025, 758,363 people on old state pension and 64,603 on new state pension had weekly pension above £300. By contrast, 636,311 old and 173,164 new got only £100 or less. 9030 people had a state pension more than £400 and 160 over £500. (Statxplore).
Percentage increases will always mean those with a lower staarting point receive a proportionately smaller increase. It's exactly the same for wages. If you only earned a pension (or wage) of £100 pw you are going to receive a smaller increase than someone who earned a pension (or wage) of £180 pw even if you are paid under the same system.
Daily Express!
Whitewavemark2
Could you point the way to a reference for this please.
Only I’m have difficulty in finding this.
The CPSA at end of July indicated that Burnham gave full support to the triple lock, and I’ve read the same in other publications.
Yesterday's Daily Express and on-line.
love0c
Chocolatelovinggran I remembered reading about it somewhere, but didn't really bother as it does not affect me. Why some people feel the ned to be so rude is beyond me.
Quite love0c. I asked older pensioners a question and how it might affect them but the rudeness is beyond me as well.
petra
Someone’s been reading the shite pumped out on FB.
Ignore.
Thank you petra for your assumption on where I read about the triple lock reduction for older pensioners. It was in yesterday's Daily Express. Hope your mood improves during the day.
Whitewavemark2
MaizieD
Whitewavemark2
eazybee
I'm beginning to go right off him! ??
I have been off him since he forced his way into being Prime Minister.
His aims are deliberately divisive: North against South, old against young, working against middle class, feckless against responsible.
A true Marxist.😄😄😄
It’s comedy gold on N & P this morning.
An H & M thread in full swing and a Marxist PM!We just need a thread about those “immigrants” and we will have a hat trick.
Well, according to the Daily Telegraph this morning Farage has condemned Burnham’s plans for rough sleepers on the grounds that it will attract even more ‘illegal immigrants’ to the UK for the freebies…🤔
Surprised no-one’s picked that up yet…
It is like being visited by Jacob Rees Mogg on a regular basis.
petra
MaizieD
love0c
Chocolatelovinggran I remembered reading about it somewhere, but didn't really bother as it does not affect me. Why some people feel the ned to be so rude is beyond me.
Who was being rude?
Probably me 😂
You were just adding to the general gaiety 😂
MaizieD
Whitewavemark2
eazybee
I'm beginning to go right off him! ??
I have been off him since he forced his way into being Prime Minister.
His aims are deliberately divisive: North against South, old against young, working against middle class, feckless against responsible.
A true Marxist.😄😄😄
It’s comedy gold on N & P this morning.
An H & M thread in full swing and a Marxist PM!
We just need a thread about those “immigrants” and we will have a hat trick.
Correction. This isn’t an N & P thread. Change it to ‘Gnet’…
MaizieD
love0c
Chocolatelovinggran I remembered reading about it somewhere, but didn't really bother as it does not affect me. Why some people feel the ned to be so rude is beyond me.
Who was being rude?
Probably me 😂
Whitewavemark2
eazybee
I'm beginning to go right off him! ??
I have been off him since he forced his way into being Prime Minister.
His aims are deliberately divisive: North against South, old against young, working against middle class, feckless against responsible.
A true Marxist.😄😄😄
It’s comedy gold on N & P this morning.
An H & M thread in full swing and a Marxist PM!
love0c
Chocolatelovinggran I remembered reading about it somewhere, but didn't really bother as it does not affect me. Why some people feel the ned to be so rude is beyond me.
Who was being rude?
eazybee
^I'm beginning to go right off him!^ ??
I have been off him since he forced his way into being Prime Minister.
His aims are deliberately divisive: North against South, old against young, working against middle class, feckless against responsible.
A true Marxist.
😄😄😄
love0c
Pensioners born before 1950 (who fall under the old basic State Pension system) receive a lower cash-terms annual increase under the triple lock than those on the new State Pension. This happens because the percentage increase is applied to a smaller base rate (£184.90 a week versus £241.30 a week), even though the triple lock percentage itself is identical for both.
That’s my understanding too,
I'm beginning to go right off him! ??
I have been off him since he forced his way into being Prime Minister.
His aims are deliberately divisive: North against South, old against young, working against middle class, feckless against responsible.
A true Marxist.
Chocolatelovinggran I remembered reading about it somewhere, but didn't really bother as it does not affect me. Why some people feel the ned to be so rude is beyond me.
I think this is what this is referring to, love0c.
Just a small correction - I was born in 1952, and am on the lower , older rate of State Pension.
Pensioners born before 1950 (who fall under the old basic State Pension system) receive a lower cash-terms annual increase under the triple lock than those on the new State Pension. This happens because the percentage increase is applied to a smaller base rate (£184.90 a week versus £241.30 a week), even though the triple lock percentage itself is identical for both.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.