Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Parking notices

(38 Posts)
HowVeryDareYou2 Wed 02-Sept-26 17:32:49

Has anyone ever had a parking notice - NOT the council or police, but a retail park? If so, did you pay it/liaise with the company/ignore it?

HowVeryDareYou2 Thu 03-Sept-26 14:42:23

25Avalon

Debt collecting agencies cannot send bailiffs in as Martyn Lewis rightly says. They would need to get a court order. They have basically bought up your “debt” if I may phrase it thus to the parking company which you can prove is invalid. What they will do is send you umpteen threatening letters to frighten you into paying.. Do not pay and do not have any prolonged correspondence. Either contact POPLA or talk to Citizens Advice Bureau.

Thanks. I don't intend to pay. I haven't corresponded with the debt company or the parking company. No telephone calls, emails or anything. Stuff them all grin.

Boadicea Thu 03-Sept-26 16:50:01

Several of our local car parks give you 2 hours free if you put your reg in.
One time I did this and it wouldn't issue a free ticket saying I could only park there for free once in a day. I hadn't even taken the car out until then!

Ukelady1 Thu 03-Sept-26 16:56:46

We had one at Costco once. They give you 3 hours but we didn’t realise that. We took friends with us who had never been before and they were fascinated by everything. The place is huge so it took us a long time! Then we had something to eat and finally got petrol on the way out. We were so annoyed as we were spending money in their shop for the whole time! Stupidly we paid but wouldn’t do now that we are wiser!

4allweknow Thu 03-Sept-26 21:29:25

In Scotland most folk ignore these. You may get letters threatening action but again they are ignored. Many use a defence if "sorry I may own the car, but I wasn't the driver" and it's the driver at fault. I have never had a parking notice but know plenty of folk who have and all been ignored.

Milest0ne Fri 04-Sept-26 10:16:48

Then there are the bus lanes. Poorly marked / worn out. Only a few yards long. Just used as a money making excercise for the local council.

eddiecat78 Fri 04-Sept-26 12:30:49

Perhaps I'm being thick but I don't understand. If the fines are not enforceable how are companies meant to limit the time people can park for?

Lindylou23 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:10:19

I had one few years ago which I ignored. I did get a solicitors letter with names of Wright Hassall, I figured they can't be serious with those names. Lol 😆

Graphite Fri 04-Sept-26 13:51:59

eddiecat78

Perhaps I'm being thick but I don't understand. If the fines are not enforceable how are companies meant to limit the time people can park for?

The notices are enforceable through the civil courts.

As I wrote above, I ignored one thinking it wasn't enforceable and ended up with court papers. Though I lodged an appeal and it was accepted, the process was so slow I ended up with a CCJ. Once that happens you have to pay hundreds of pounds in admin charges to have the judgement removed.

Don't ignore them.

ferry23 Fri 04-Sept-26 14:19:05

As graphite says, they most definitely are enforceable.

Anyone who tells you they're not, or tells you to ignore, is a fool quite frankly, with no knowledge or understanding of the law.

There's swathes of evidence and precedents available on line to show what can happen if people choose to ignore these charges.

Parking Eye for example have issued in excess of 10000 claims against drivers.

Silvertwigs Sat 05-Sept-26 11:52:38

HowVeryDareYou2 I’m a volunteer at a local theatre and often I’ve no access to the building to validate my registration, as there is an ANRP device there (I now know 🤬) I got 4, yes fucking 4 tickets! I appealed them and they were reduced. The company Civil Enforcement Ltd also has a debt collection agency (how do they live with themselves 😡) I always paid the reduced amount. Until one one PCNs was double charged. All the evidence in the world, bank statement etc and they wouldn’t have it, I was losing sleep over it so paid. But complained to MP and You & Yours on Radio 4. The industry is worth over 70 million a year. I would mind if it went to good causes rather than line dodgy arseholes pockets! 🤬🤬

25Avalon Sat 05-Sept-26 14:23:21

Parking Eye are the worst. According to stats (I read somewhere) only 10% of the cases referred to court find in their favour. Civil Enforcement are not the parking company but act on behalf of parking companies to issue charges.

Lollin Sat 05-Sept-26 14:37:33

These and the dubious paying online systems push you into not going to the theatre nor the shops etc etc where I live. Then they talk about the benefits of going out!