Moths have chewed great chunks out of our largely wool carpets, and ruined a few expensive wool, cashmere, and alpaca knits.*
We have tried everything, including twice lighting supposedly moth-lethal ‘candles’ in every room, with wardrobe etc. doors open, before leaving the house for several hours.
*I now keep any such thing in a plastic bag, with a squirt of moth killer spray inside, every time I put them away. So far, it seems to have worked with an expensive pure wool jumper I bought a couple of years ago.
I’m pretty sure the infestation came from some stuff of his parents’, that dh and his brothers had kept in storage for a few years after they died. There was a small woollen rug that was literally in shreds - of course that went straight in the bin but evidently some invaders were successful.
We’re definitely going to have wooden floors next time, which will be fairly soon. I do like carpet, less noisy! but needs must…