Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

New zip or not new zip?

(10 Posts)
Grandma600 Thu 10-Sept-26 16:55:49

I have a pair of leather ankle boots that I absolutely love. They are over ten years old but still in good condition. I have looked after them well so far.
Having dug them out in anticipation of needing them again soon, I became aware that the zip on one boot was slipping to half-mast within a few minutes of putting them on.
I had something similar with a pair of trousers many years ago, replaced the zip, and got a few more years of wear out of the trousers.
So, thinking the same thing would apply for boots, I went to my local Timpsons, only to be told that a new zip wouldn't work, and that I'd be wasting my money.
Dear clever Gransnetters, what do I do? I need a second opinion. Is there really no solution to fix a stretched zip?
Thank you so much in advance thanks

Gwyllt Thu 10-Sept-26 17:06:26

Have you got an independent cobbler near by for a second opinion. The one in town will have a go at fixing anything and usually makes a good job at not inflated prices

karmalady Thu 10-Sept-26 17:16:32

A new zip on a boot would involve an awful lot of work and is not worth it for the cost per hours spent via a third party

Have a go yourself, its the sort of thing me and my sister would tackle. You would need a very strong zip and waxed thread, probably a strong curved needle and an awl to prod the holes. You work two threads at a time on leather, one from each side

Sago Thu 10-Sept-26 17:26:41

Hairspray is your answer!

Spray the zip and allow to dry.

You may need to top up occasionally.

I promise it works.

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:44:13

Sago

Hairspray is your answer!

Spray the zip and allow to dry.

You may need to top up occasionally.

I promise it works.

Oh I have a bike jacket with a dodgy zip. I was going to get rid of it. Will give that a go. Just need a money off voucher for the hairspray 😂

MT62 Thu 10-Sept-26 17:45:43

I haven’t seen an independent cobbler for donkeys years.
What about an upholsterer?

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Sept-26 17:48:30

The trouble with putting a new zip in leather is that ideally you need to use the same holes.

My mother replaced a zip for me in some (tight!) leather trousers many years ago. I'm nearly certain she used a triangular leather needle.

She did it by hand.

Gwyllt Thu 10-Sept-26 17:51:12

MYT62 guess it depends where you live we also have an independent chandler who always seems to have the items you can’t get elsewhere.

25Avalon Thu 10-Sept-26 21:49:53

I read to squeeze the bottom of the zip with pincers. Then slid the zipper in. Idk if it works or not.

Grandma600 Thu 10-Sept-26 23:33:00

Wow, thank you all, I wasn't expecting so many and varied replies.
There is an independent cobbler about half an hour's drive away, and I must admit I hadn't thought of him, even though I used his services in the past!
I must start with hairspray, that's such a random suggestion, it has to be worth a go!!
Sadly I am useless with needle and thread - the memory of needle craft lessons at school gives me the heebie jeebies - and I dread to think of the damage I could inflict on my boots and/or myself if I attempted anything in that way at my advanced age...and sadly I don't have a sister to sit beside me to spur me on.
I am willing to have a go at squeezing the existing zip. Will pliers be acceptable?
Ooh, so many things to try - thank you so much, you clever people smile