Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Confidence to Travel alone

(16 Posts)
Carmen54 Thu 10-Sept-26 19:21:23

Hi everyone. as everyone here is my age or around my age and possibly a lot of people in my position where six years ago I lost my husband and I felt as if it was the end of the world

I felt lost I made stupid mistakes the good news is I've come through it 🙏

I really would like to go away for a break for a few days .. I've been looking on line and I quiet like Devon but then when I look at the hotels I get this horrible feeling in my stomach it's a kind of fear of being alone it's like in my head I feel like I am a little girl that needs someone to take care of

I'm scared to take the chance to go away on my own in case when I get there I don't like it

Has anybody experienced this at all

Rocketstop2 Thu 10-Sept-26 19:29:38

Hi, I haven't experienced it through loss but I have had to go away on my own at times and go to events etc alone.
The only advice I would give is just book yourself one night away, somewhere not far from where you live, perhaps the nearest coast, or place of interest. That way you can test out how you feel about being away on your own.Once you have done it, you do feel rather proud of yourself.Lots of people in the same boat as well.
I think you just need to sort of do bite sized trips before you go for the few days in Devon. Good Luck, you can do it !

Patsy70 Thu 10-Sept-26 20:16:30

My sister lives in Sidbury, a village only a few miles from Sidmouth. She lives alone now and no longer drives, and also has mobility issues. She’s booked herself into the Riviera Hotel, a room with a sea view. Sidmouth has lots to offer.

NotSpaghetti Thu 10-Sept-26 20:22:52

I travelled for my work alone (obviously younger then) and packed a good book.
The first time was odd.
It will get easier as you do it.

My lovely friend booked on a tiny tour for her first trip alone - I think it was 3 days.
She said there was always someone to have dinner with which was what worried her.

Carmen54 Thu 10-Sept-26 20:25:59

That is such a good idea.. It makes it feel alot less heavier Thank you

Carmen54 Thu 10-Sept-26 20:32:45

Thank you all for your kind words it has made a difference I think I will definitely follow rocketstop's advice that made so much sense

everybody has made me feel braver and for that I think

wintersday Thu 10-Sept-26 22:53:54

I have bit the bullet and go away to Weymouth on 19 Sept for 5 days. I dont feel confident to drive and only drive locally so the only way to go for me is on a coach holiday. I know what you mean about being on your own, I shall take a few magazines to read - just going to go with the flow. I did go to Torquay on my own some years ago and when we pulled up at the hotel the 2 ladies sat in front of me turned round and suggested I could sit with them for my meal as they knew what it was like to be on your own. People are kind and I thought it was really nice of them to say that. As it was all the seating arrangements were in place so after the meals, I joined them in the evening for a drink. There are some lovely kind people out there.

NotSpaghetti Fri 11-Sept-26 13:01:14

Ooh. Lovely!
I hope the weather is kind and your "bravery" is invigorating!

Cabbie21 Fri 11-Sept-26 14:05:38

I have done a few coach trips and found everyone very friendly. I have also done airbnb self catering as I don’t like going out to eat in the evening on my own. Then I took the plunge and booked a smallish family-run hotel with evening meals. I felt very comfortable and on the second evening people at neighbouring tables chatted to me.
Enjoy your trip, Carmen54.

genie10 Fri 11-Sept-26 14:20:36

Try a coach trip with solo rooms. I have done a couple and found the other travellers friendly. They seat singles together so you don't feel you stand out. In the evenings I put on a smile and a brave face and went to see the entertainment and I found people were more than willing to invite me to join their tables.

Gran22boys Fri 11-Sept-26 17:37:20

Patsy70

My sister lives in Sidbury, a village only a few miles from Sidmouth. She lives alone now and no longer drives, and also has mobility issues. She’s booked herself into the Riviera Hotel, a room with a sea view. Sidmouth has lots to offer.

Definitely. The Sidmouth hotels really do look after older people. It’s a small, safe, smart resort. I agree that The Riviera is a wonderful hotel as are The Belmont and The Victoria. All to be recommended. All on the seafront.

Sarnia Fri 11-Sept-26 17:47:05

Have you looked at coach holidays in the UK? Some offer an almost door to door service so you don't have to drive or use public transport, lugging a suitcase.
If you feel safer and more confident in company they may be for you. Do your research and look at the hotel reviews of where they are staying. Many offer excursions which are optional and evening entertainment such as quizzes, again optional. Many single people go on these trips so not everyone is paired off.
If you can afford it go for the more expensive ones. You get what you pay for.
Whatever you do, I hope you have a lovely break that not only refreshes you but boosts your confidence to go again.

Roseyposy Sat 12-Sept-26 17:21:17

It is a daunting feeling the first time you do a trip on your own but when you get there it's all fine. It's the fear of the unknown. I think Saga holiday company do UK breaks and might possibly go to Devon. If you went in a group you would be with like minded people of similar age and experiences and may enjoy it more. Otherwise just do a bite size taster visit as others have suggested.

madeleine45 Sat 12-Sept-26 17:46:36

My suggestion is to maybe look for something you enjoy, and already do, or have missed doing since you were alone. So for example, you might be a card player and there will be bridge weekends or whist weekends . Or you may like to visit gardens, where you might find a trip that goes to a RHS garden that you havent visited before, or which may have been a bit too far to drive to . Another possibility at this time of year is to look to see things like courses being held, such as a musical one, where there is chance to learn a particular piece , either singing or with an instrument, Folkworks used to do weekend courses which were brilliant, as they had different classes for beginners, or intermediate or people who were good players but didnt have the opportunity to play in an orchestra or band. What they did was to have very good teachers who were musicians themselves, and each group would learn appropriate music for their level and then on the last day everyone would play together, obviously simple parts for the beginners and more difficult for the more advanced but you all shared playing music together. A weekend like that can also lead to meeting other musicians in your area, with a chance to continue meeting at a later date.

Doing anything like this can give you confidence in that you know something of the subject, and already speak the language , so to speak, so you already can relax a bit as you are not jumping into a total new situation. This will mean that you will find mutual places or interests to share with people. This can be a stand alone time , or it can lead on to further times where you will already know some of the people who go to the next one.

Another idea could be if you are interested in any genealagy or want to find out more about your ancestors, you could choose to go to somewhere that has meaning for you, so that you already have a reason to be there, which can help you to venture out and about. I would tend to look for something that was your interest rather than both you and your husband, as you may find that there is something you never really followed before, and having no connection to your husband can be a help.

When you look at your options, however hard it is , if you dont take the plunge, are you just going to stay in your home, never going anywhere new, and getting more worried about trying it? So if you try to go to anything, even if you dont like what you do, that doesnt matter really, as the main point is to try something. Either way you will be the winner. You may find something that you are excited about and want to keep on with it, or you think that was rubbish and I wont do that again, but even that means you will now turn in other directions and look for something else. Just have a think. Was there anywhere that you always wanted to visit, and never managed to get there? Well perhaps you have a friend who also wants to see that too, and you can try it out, In the worse scenario, you get there and dont think much to it, but then it could be lovely and you can then go on to further trips.
Good luck

Olivia51 Sat 12-Sept-26 18:49:12

There are a few companies which organise holidays/trips just for people on their own. They’re not singles holidays, aimed at people looking for a partner, just trips where everyone is travelling alone, which means you have your own room at no extra cost and everyone will eat as a group. I’ve just booked a 4 day trip abroad with a company called Solos Holidays for next Spring. I believe you meet the group at the airport before the flight and there’s also a pre-trip WhatsApp group, if you wish to join. Having gone on a few holidays with a needy friend or a grumpy husband I find travelling alone quite refreshing!

Gmax3 Wed 16-Sept-26 15:05:35

Olivia51

There are a few companies which organise holidays/trips just for people on their own. They’re not singles holidays, aimed at people looking for a partner, just trips where everyone is travelling alone, which means you have your own room at no extra cost and everyone will eat as a group. I’ve just booked a 4 day trip abroad with a company called Solos Holidays for next Spring. I believe you meet the group at the airport before the flight and there’s also a pre-trip WhatsApp group, if you wish to join. Having gone on a few holidays with a needy friend or a grumpy husband I find travelling alone quite refreshing!

I love your reply so much!