Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Door mat slipping on carpet

(20 Posts)
OldFrill Wed 16-Sept-26 13:40:03

Online there are dozens of potential solutions, but for each solution there are dozens saying it doesn't work.

I've a medium pile synthetic carpet in my hall and I need a doormat on top of it at the door. Currently the carpet sweeps it to one side like it's sneering at me, gradually pushing it up the skirting board.

Before l cut a piece out of the carpet and glue the doormat to the hard flooring, does anyone have a tried and tested solution?

I've tried a runner too - that takes off like Eddie Eagle.

Thank you.

Llamedos13 Wed 16-Sept-26 14:08:24

How about a mat with a heavy duty rubber backing?

Farmor15 Wed 16-Sept-26 14:13:26

There's a product called Nano gel tape which I've found useful for sticking down rugs. It says it's easy to remove, but I haven't tried. I got it in one of those garden centre/lifestyle shops where there was a video screen with demo.

PamelaJ1 Wed 16-Sept-26 14:23:34

If anyone finds a solution please let us all know. My rug by the front door is so annoying. I’ve put all sorts of non slip things underneath it but nothing works.

OldFrill Wed 16-Sept-26 15:53:22

Thanks everyone

The mat is quite heavy duty, it slips as much as the very thin runner (which l don't need).

I did read silicone sealant dabbed onto the back of the doormat might help (let it dry obviously). I might try that as we have some.

If that fails I'll try the tape.

I'll report back but it might be a while!

Witzend Wed 16-Sept-26 15:56:33

I’ve got a Turtle Mat just inside the front door - it’s machine washable and doesn’t slip on the carpet.

MT62 Sat 19-Sept-26 11:13:38

Just put that rubber netting down underneath, I promise it won’t budge.
We have garden cushions that end up half way across a rattan base. I have now bought a roll off amazon, used full roll underneath, they have stay put.

welbeck Sat 19-Sept-26 11:16:43

I would just tape all the edges to keep it down

karmalady Sat 19-Sept-26 11:20:49

Beware the glues and backing to prevent slippage of rug on carpet. Dsil spent a very long-time removing staining from the backing

I would get a carpet fitter in to do a professional job of inserting a good doormat into a sunken rectangle. It will need edges

I use turtle mats on quickstep flooring and they don`t budge

4allweknow Sat 19-Sept-26 14:25:19

There is a material on a roll, it's like the shelf protection stuff. Frustrated I can't recall the name. I have a large section of it under a carpet on a laminate floor. Having just had laminate laid in my hall I only this week laid a non slip mat at the door. Went with this specific company, FLODI, as wanted a size not readily availsble on other sites. Been down since Tuesday and hasn't moved. Be careful any mat yoh buy is compatible with laminate, some backings can affect the colour.

Azalea99 Sat 19-Sept-26 16:22:49

Mine is now set inside the carpet, but prior to that I ended up screwing it at each corner. Not ideal - I had to unscrew it every now and then to vac beneath it but nothing else was as effective. Also, of course, mine’s a wooden floor.

Azalea99 Sat 19-Sept-26 16:25:29

Sorry OldFrill - you said you have hard flooring. I can’t see how to delete my post.

Norah Sat 19-Sept-26 16:36:05

We use 'Gorilla Grip' rug gripper pads. Work very well.

..Dual-Sided Grip: Holds firmly onto both your rug and hard floors without using sticky adhesives.Floor Protection: Open-grid weave design lets air circulate to prevent moisture damage on hardwood floors.Customizable: Easy to cut down to your preferred size and shape using ordinary household scissors.Low Maintenance
... Gorilla GripEASY TO TRIM AND CUSTOMIZABLE: rug gripper for hardwood floors easily trims with household scissors to fit any rug size or shape;

...Amazon

OldFrill Sat 19-Sept-26 18:03:00

Thank you everyone.

I found a heavy old doormat in the garage so am trying that. Seems not to move as much as the lighter one. It's hardly the right aesthetic with a lovely new carpet so would have to find a similar new one.

I've applied silicone to the original doormat but worried the white silicone might rub off into the carpet, so not taken that any further yet.

It is quite thick carpet, not hard flooring.

MT62 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:20:47

This is the stuff you need. Non slip, no sticky marks.
I throw mine in the washer. £3.99 tks

AskAlice Sat 19-Sept-26 18:39:18

Glueing Velcro strips (the sides with the harder pointy bits) around the edge of the mat might work. I did that with my sewing machine control foot and it worked a treat on the carpet in the sewing room!

CarrotTop Sat 19-Sept-26 19:05:42

I think whether a mat slips or not may be due to the carpet it's sitting on. We never had a problem with mats until we moved to this house, which had just been re-carpeted throughout with very high-quality synthetic carpet. In every room, any rugs we put down have walked. Sticky backing, rug grippers, double-sided tape invented for the purpose - nothing has worked. We even bought a VERY heavy coffee table (takes us both to move it, in two separate pieces) but guess what? The rug underneath the table still walks, while the table stays where it is! Short of re-carpeting every room in the house, we can't cure the problem. So every day we go round pulling the mats straight. Sigh...

BrandyGran Sun 20-Sept-26 10:24:02

How about putting a large coir mat outside your front door for wiping feet.
We are plagued in our living room with rugs on our cosy synthetic carpet wrinkling up and moving. I’m thinking it might be safer to just remove them altogether now that we are in our 80s.

OldFrill Sun 20-Sept-26 15:24:44

BrandyGran

How about putting a large coir mat outside your front door for wiping feet.
We are plagued in our living room with rugs on our cosy synthetic carpet wrinkling up and moving. I’m thinking it might be safer to just remove them altogether now that we are in our 80s.

Thanks Brandygran, my doorstep/porch gets too wet for a coir mat. I've a rubber mat outside but need something just inside the door too.

Squiffy Sun 20-Sept-26 16:03:47

We are using Foxi carpet gripper fabric. It’s brilliant!