Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you do if this was your cat?

(9 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 24-Oct-26 16:28:11

Love Milo and respect him, then you’ll know what to do. There is no dignity in pain and suffering.

My very kindest regards to you.

Cossy Sat 24-Oct-26 15:54:20

When our beautiful working cocker started to go this way at 14, then developed “doggy dementia”, we sadly make the decision to have him pts.

As with all our dogs, it was heartbreaking and I still miss his handsome face and excited greeting when entering our home, but it was the right thing to do. I was with him, on the floor, on his blanket, in the vets. I cried all the way home! 🐾🐾 No one can make this decision but you flowers

Sadly our aged show cocker is going downhill quite rapidly and is only 12.5 years old ☹️😢

Magenta8 Sat 24-Oct-26 15:39:07

Georgesgran I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote. I have been in a similar position several times with the cats I have shared my life with.

As one vet put it "You show your love for them by knowing when it is time to say goodbye in the kindest possible way."

Writing this has just made me cry. It is a grim time for you and I really feel for you.

I think you had pretty much made your mind up what to do for the best when you posted this thread. Of course it is still very much your call.

Ilovecheese Sat 24-Oct-26 15:38:57

No one can make the decision for you but it it were my cat I would let him go at home with painkillers, rather than let him face another scan and more shaving. So sorry.

Greenfinch Sat 24-Oct-26 15:33:37

This is a terrible dilemma but I would tend to agree with your OH especially if the vet can prescribe pain killers. I have been in this situation a couple of times and each time made a different decision. He probably would prefer not to be on the vet’s table yet again for another scan. In view of his age I would let him go peacefully. I am sorry you have to face this but at least you have time to say goodbye which isn’t always possible.Thinking of youZ

Georgesgran Sat 24-Oct-26 15:24:21

I’m so sorry you are facing this dreadful decision LLFL you’ve often written and posted pictures of your beloved Milo here. However, I don’t agree with your OH saying to just let him slip away - as you say he could be in pain and animals are designed to conceal pain - a sign of weakness to a predator. It could take days without any intervention.
He deserves a worthy and dignified end, held in your arms, one last time - the type of end we all pray for ourselves and our loved ones.
Personally, I’d phone the practice and change the appointment, but for a different outcome.

A day too soon, is better than an hour too late. 💔

Fallingstar Sat 24-Oct-26 15:22:44

Oh am so sorry you have this decision to make. We have had cats and dogs and it never gets easier. If your cat is pain palliative care will help with this, but at some point you will have to brace yourselves to face the prospect of euthanising your pet. Is it better to do this later rather than sooner??
I cannot say and obviously is your call.
😢💐

Wyllow3 Sat 24-Oct-26 15:20:16

He's not mine, and no one can speak for you, but I think I'd let him go gently with max painkillers, at home, where you can cuddle him. flowers

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 24-Oct-26 15:15:15

Our cat Milo is 16 years old and going downhill fast. Just in the last two or three weeks his fur has started falling out and he's off his food. We took him to the Vet this week who took some blood and got the nurse to trim some of his matted fur. We were shocked when they brought him back to the waiting room with one side of his fur gone. They said they would have to sedate him to trim more.

Yesterday the Vet telephoned us with his test results. He has any number of ailments including problems with his white blood cells, anaemia and possibly cancer. She said she wouldn't recommend treatment because of his age. Rather she would prescribe something to keep him comfortable - palliative care. However, she suggested a scan to confirm the various ailments.

This morning we rang the Vet to make an appointment for Milo's scan. We asked if he would need more fur being shaved off - Yes! He would also need to be sedated. Well, we made the appointment but are having second thoughts.

Milo is obviously on his last legs. Each day he is quieter than the last and spends most of his time sleeping.

What would you do? OH thinks we should cancel the scan and simply let Milo fade away. But I don't know if he's in pain. We need to make a decision by Monday.