Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What are these orange stains that have appeared on my hands overnight?

(387 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 11:00:12

This happened first about 3 weeks ago and I thought it was because I had handled a Satsuma. It wouldn't wash off but disappeared over 24 hours. Then I woke up this morning to find dark iodine coloured stains down my index finger and light orange blotches on both palms and on the back of my thumb. I have googled this and nobody seems to know what it is so I am wondering if anyone on gn has come across this?

Fiachna50 Thu 13-Feb-20 11:16:46

No, sorry but would advise you to go to doctor if worried. I have no idea what it is.

GrannyLaine Thu 13-Feb-20 11:26:53

Firstly, does it scrub off with bleach or similar? Any altered sensation or itching? I don't think I'd be contacting a doctor at this stage but wait and see. Sounds like something your hands have been in contact with.

Missfoodlove Thu 13-Feb-20 11:56:34

Google tinea nigiris palmea.
It’s a fungal skin infection.

25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 12:23:30

No Grannylaine it won't come off much as I've tried. It's not tinea nigris palmea Missfood love. What it is is a puzzle!
When I've googled I've seen images which are exactly the same and no one seems to know what it is. Some have seen the doctor who wasn't worried by it so can't see point in going especially as by the time I get an appointment it will be gone (hopefully) anyway It doesn't itch or hurt in anyway. It's fading a bit now. Looks just as if I have spilt iodine. Very strange. Curious to find another "sufferer"

rosenoir Thu 13-Feb-20 12:23:31

Is it in the same place as last time? , do you mean it is on or under the skin.

Similar happened to me but purple, I had used a hair dye that was purple in unused form,somehow a blob was under the bathroom door handle. Every time I touched the handle it stained my hand, took ages to realise it was nothing to do with washing my hands which was the last thing I did before leaving the bathroom.

endlessstrife Thu 13-Feb-20 12:35:15

Are you handling something unconsciously, a food item perhaps? Or cleaning, hair products etc. Sounds very mysterious.

JackyB Thu 13-Feb-20 12:45:38

Do you use rubber gloves? Have you turned them inside out to see if the matching stain is on the inside?

Saxifrage Thu 13-Feb-20 12:50:25

Sounds like the pollen from lilies?

25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 12:50:35

When I went to bed there were no stains. They were there when I got up. I have racked my brains and can think of absolutely nothing I have touched that would cause it. I was awake in the middle of the night and held the newspaper cross word in my hand but I can't think it was that.

curvygran950 Thu 13-Feb-20 12:55:02

Turmeric is very staining........curry last night?

Cabbie21 Thu 13-Feb-20 12:55:32

Ink from the print?

GrannyLaine Thu 13-Feb-20 12:59:13

I do love a good mystery. I was intrigued by the suggestion of the tinea tigris palmea, but it wouldn't have resolved spontaneously as it did previously and would develop gradually. Hmmmm.....

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 13:58:15

Do you eat a lot of carrots or other orange vegetables or have you peeled a lot to freeze?

Otherwise check with the GP as you could have an underlying medical condition eg undiagnosed diabetes.

Yehbutnobut Thu 13-Feb-20 13:59:17

Do you sleep alone?

MissAdventure Thu 13-Feb-20 14:02:40

Have you been eating 'Wotsits' in your sleep?

25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 14:18:16

Don't like wotsits. Since my husband's open heart surgery he has moved into spare room and I have big king size bed to myself. Don't eat huge quantities of carrots and didn't have any last night apart from small amount of coleslaw. Did have small quantity of Romano sweet peppers in a salad but it has never had this effect before. Wrong colour for newsprint. It is exactly like a stain - no raised lumps or anything.

craftergran Thu 13-Feb-20 14:51:24

Saxifrage I immediately thought lilies too

25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 16:44:25

No saxifrage. No lilies. No turmeric. No curries. No answer.

Nannytopsy Thu 13-Feb-20 16:58:10

Nitric acid causes brown stains ...

Artdecogran Thu 13-Feb-20 17:04:56

Have you cleaned your glasses? Can anyone else see it?

Callistemon Thu 13-Feb-20 17:20:51

You're not sleepwalking, are you?

I used to sleepwalk when I was a child.

25Avalon Thu 13-Feb-20 18:49:04

No I don't sleepwalk. My glasses are clean - just use the regular e-cloth, no chemicals. No nitric acid. visible to others so no I am not hallucinating! The lighter marks have now gone and the darker ones on the side of my index finger have faded. Has nobody else experienced this?

Jomarie Thu 13-Feb-20 18:57:11

Aliens - it has got to be down to them
Good luck with that one grin

Yennifer Thu 13-Feb-20 21:06:04

Could you share a photo? x