Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Housesitting - have you ever used one or done it?

(17 Posts)
NainFron Mon 27-Sep-21 09:42:04

DH and I are planning a holiday next year and want to invite our ACs and their partners. This means that our elderly dog won't have anywhere to go to. (Our youngest son usually takes care of the dog and a neighbour sorts out the hens). What's your experience of using housesitters? Any idea how much they charge?
We own a rural property in a popular UK holiday area.

vegansrock Mon 27-Sep-21 09:44:07

www.trustedhousesitters.com/

Use Trusted housesitters. You pay a fee to join but you don’t pay the sitters. My AC have used them many times.

GillT57 Mon 27-Sep-21 09:49:02

I too would be interested in any experience of using house sitters as we have the same issue with an elderly dog which we no longer want to pop into kennels. The kennels are family run and really lovely, but we just don't want her spending hours alone, especially the nights!

aggie Mon 27-Sep-21 11:54:21

My DD had a house sitter , a foreign lady , who fed the cats and took in parcels and watered the (many) houseplants , she didn’t charge ! She regarded it as free place to stay while she explored Edinburgh

Newatthis Mon 27-Sep-21 12:52:15

I have done house sitting for many years - dogs, cats, donkeys, chickens and sheep, in this country and overseas. I am police checked and come with references. Send me a message if you want more details.

NainFron Mon 27-Sep-21 15:27:27

Thank you all for your responses. Newatthis - I've sent you a private message.

Neen Mon 27-Sep-21 18:13:32

I used dog house sat / cats/ alpacas hahahaha for trusted housesitters until I got my own dog. I stayed in some amazing homes and met amazing people and animals . But I would certainly message Newatthis. I'm about to actually X

pooohbear2811 Mon 27-Sep-21 18:19:36

I always fancied owning a camper van and seeing the UK by house sitting for people and when no new home to stay in would live in my camper van.
Not retired yet but maybe one day.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 27-Sep-21 21:20:17

Check your house Insurance if you let people stay in your home whilst you are away.

Jillyjosie Mon 27-Sep-21 21:48:04

We used Trusted Housesitters when we went to Australia for a month. We got lots of responses so it was possible to choose carefully. You get guidance on drawing up a contract and we felt it important to meet the sitter beforehand. It was an excellent solution to pet care and also to any concerns about leaving the house unoccupied. I think there are quite a few agencies out there.

Grandmafrench Mon 27-Sep-21 22:42:02

We have used house sitters in the past for a whole range of animals and it has been largely successful. We have re-booked people with whom we've been very happy and who have bonded with our animals. It is important, though, to carefully vet someone who could be of interest, just to make sure that your needs with regard to what kind of care is clear and that person is not looking just to have a holiday in your area with only scant attention needed for the pets you leave behind you! For example, sitters usually tell something about themselves and why they choose to house-sit. There's a big difference between those who want to take advantage of free accommodation in an area which would offer them lots of sightseeing, days out and an interesting stay. They can mind your house and do that easily. But possibly someone who is happy to water plants or feed the cat, but really doesn't want to be in your home for lengthy periods each day is not going to suit if you have, for example, an elderly dog who needs company, or hens who have a timetable and need to be safely put away at the end of the day. With a dog, if you choose people who maybe work from home or can be content in a rural area with peace and countryside they're more likely to be great company for your much loved pets. And an elderly dog might be much happier with someone who is at home a great deal, or someone who is willing to take him out on any trips. Lots of questions should clarify what you need and what your potential sitter is looking for in a holiday, to ensure that you take on the most appropriate sitter, you feel happy leaving your animals behind with that person and there's no disappointment with the arrangements you make.

mumofmadboys Mon 27-Sep-21 23:46:44

We have asked friends to stay in our house when we are away to look after an elderly dog and cat. One time when we went to India one couple of friends swopped with another in the middle! Always worked well for everyone.

Gin Tue 28-Sep-21 00:15:38

I have never used a house sitter, not relishing strangers in my house. However, in our area there are several people who take one or two dogs into their home. We pay of course. Our dog likes it so much he jumps out if the car and races to their front door.

Framilode Tue 28-Sep-21 09:18:42

We have just the once and it was not successful. We used some acquaintances that lived locally. Before we left they gave us a list of food they required. I bought it in but thought it a bit cheeky.

I later found out that they slept at our house but spent most of the day at their own place leaving our animals that we were paying them to spend time with.

When we returned she had re-organised my fridge and moved the furniture round in the sitting room. I was not a happy bunny.

foxie48 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:39:26

We had a house sitter when we went away to New Zealand for a month, however, it was someone we knew and she looked after the dogs and horses but we had someone in to keep the garden under control. It worked well.

GagaJo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:44:38

I've done it. Lovely house in London. Lovely dog. Lovely swimming pool. AND got paid £80 for a week which was in effect a holiday for us. I hope we left the house clean and tidy enough for her. Certainly, we gave her lovely dog great companionship. He slept in the bedroom with us!

Conversely, when I lived in Spain, I tried to find house sitters to look after my cats so I could pop back to the UK for a holiday, but no one that ever offered was suitable. Either they were unreliable with the dates/slow at confirming OR when using Trusted House Sitters, all applicants turned out to be nutters or again, unreliable in one way or another. Some were insistant that I had to have a car to leave them to use as part of the package. A package which involved staying in a lovely apartment 10 minutes from the beach, free! It wasn't possible anyway, since I didn't have a car.

Eloethan Tue 19-Oct-21 00:08:22

I haven't used this service but a friend from choir has and she said it was very good.