Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Incontinence products

(22 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Sat 02-Jul-22 17:26:11

Morrison's have a scheme whereby if you go in store to Customer Services and ask for A parcel for Sandy you are given sanitary towels/tampons in a plain brown bag.

Do you think it likely that they - or any other supermarket - will follow this with Incontinence pads being donated? I think that we older people may need help especially if the cost of living carries on rising.

MissAdventure Sat 02-Jul-22 17:55:04

Do you have a continence service in your area?
They should be available and delivered regularly, free.

Charleygirl5 Sat 02-Jul-22 17:57:52

If they are in other areas I have never heard of them in mine.

LOUISA1523 Sat 02-Jul-22 18:01:03

Every community trust should have a continence service...in reality tho people generally need more pads than they are assessed as needing

62Granny Sat 02-Jul-22 18:02:53

Ask your GP surgery it should be available, but is not well publicised. You usually have to have an assessment before they will give will give you then they are then delivered to you in a big box , word of warning they are usually bigger and bulkier than the type you buy.

MissAdventure Sat 02-Jul-22 18:03:13

I'm not sure what criteria you have to fill, here, but a nurse comes out (or used to!) to assess how many, and what type are best.

I think I have phoned people's gps to access the service.

MissAdventure Sat 02-Jul-22 18:04:57

One of the ridiculous things, is that people can't stop the service for a while if they have enough pads; they just keep on piling up.

hulahoop Sat 02-Jul-22 19:09:02

That's one item I always put in bank food box it must be awful not to have them. It's terrible that people can't stop a delivery my oh was the same when he had is stoma he had bags and deodorant spray and unused dressings but nobody would take them .

MissAdventure Sat 02-Jul-22 19:19:14

I found a lot of "my people" gave them to me, then I have to try and find a home for them.
Our charity shops take them, though.

Elusivebutterfly Sat 02-Jul-22 20:02:37

It would be useful if women could get things like Tena lady pads in the same way as sanitary pads from Morrisons. I have also seen restaurants/bars with free sanitary pads in the ladies room. Less people need inco pads but they are important for those that do.
The NHS does not provide the same kind of pads. Their service is for those with more severe issues, I believe.

Hellogirl1 Sun 03-Jul-22 11:32:37

My daughter can have the free ones delivered, but she won`t have them, says they`re too much like a baby`s nappy. Instead, she spends a fortune buying her own Tenalady ones from Amazon, they`re more like a pair of knickers, but if that`s what she prefers to do............

maddyone Sun 03-Jul-22 11:46:01

Both my mother and my FiL need pads now and they are provided by the NHS. Mother used pads that she bought for years, but now in a care home, she needs the ones like a nappy. It’s too sad, both of them are incontinent, and the loss of dignity is difficult for them to bear. I don’t want to get that old.

ExDancer Sun 03-Jul-22 11:56:59

Keep up the pelvic floor exercises smile
Seriously, the NHS ones are ginormous! I don't think you'd want to use them if you wear trousers unless they are very baggy jog pants.
Do they do them for fecal incontinence? My MIL had that problem and struggled all her life using urinary ones instead because we could never find any for that specific problem.
Its all very depressing isn't it?

maddyone Sun 03-Jul-22 12:02:22

Yes ExDancer. The NHS ones are like a nappy, not very nice, but necessary for some people. You can probably buy them through Amazon.

icanhandthemback Sun 03-Jul-22 12:09:02

I buy my incontinence pads from Aldi's as they are really cheap. If you have a real problem with incontinence where you are soaking pads regularly, ask to be referred to the Incontinence Clinic where they can help you resolve the problem and, if you need more than a certain number of pads a day, can arrange for you to receive what you need. You can also get a special collection for the waste with your Refuse Collector.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Jul-22 12:44:06

The nhs pads come in different sizes, depending on absorbency.

I don't think there is much difference between those and Tena lady ones, apart from the packaging.

The nhs ones don't leak as much, but aren't as comfortable or pretty.

Forlornhope Sun 03-Jul-22 14:45:23

Hooray for this conversation! Incontinence needs openly acknowledging and provision made in every public loo in the same way as sanitary products.

icanhandthemback Mon 04-Jul-22 10:48:14

MissAdventure

The nhs pads come in different sizes, depending on absorbency.

I don't think there is much difference between those and Tena lady ones, apart from the packaging.

The nhs ones don't leak as much, but aren't as comfortable or pretty.

In our area, much to my surprise, Tena are the brand they use.

MissAdventure Mon 04-Jul-22 13:21:04

Oh, that is a surprise!
Strange how each area seems to be quite different.

Georgesgran Mon 04-Jul-22 13:39:05

In my experience I think the NHS ones are really good for total incontinence for wheelchair users or those in bed, as they seem to contain everything better.
The ‘branded’ ones advertised on TV seem fine for stress incontinence, leaks when coughing/sneezing/laughing or exercising, or simply not getting to the loo quite in time.

ElaineI Mon 04-Jul-22 22:57:33

ExDancer

Keep up the pelvic floor exercises smile
Seriously, the NHS ones are ginormous! I don't think you'd want to use them if you wear trousers unless they are very baggy jog pants.
Do they do them for fecal incontinence? My MIL had that problem and struggled all her life using urinary ones instead because we could never find any for that specific problem.
Its all very depressing isn't it?

Yes they do but person would need to be assessed for that. You can't buy them.

welbeck Mon 04-Jul-22 23:37:10

you can buy products for double incontinence.
why not ? they are not prescription-only.https://www.incontinence.co.uk/guide-choosing-bowel-incontinence-products