Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Mothering Sunday and a lost child ...

(69 Posts)
Imperfect27 Sat 05-Mar-16 08:41:00

We have shared so much on GN about Mothering Sunday (Mother's Day if you prefer) and the ins and outs of whether we set much store by it, what we want / hope for / won't get in terms of visits etc.

I just want to send out hugs across the ether for all those of you who have lost a child / children. This can make what should be a happy day, another difficult day to be managed, even if you have other children.

I know I will inevitably think of my lovely DD2 and I know I need to do something in memory of my lost child this day. I have old cards she sent me that I can look at, but this has just made me more sad in the past. I can go to her grave (not that she is there...) and I will have some flowers in the house. I will remind myself of the very beautiful and unique person she was, how she was loved and cherished, how she will never, ever be forgotten, how she made me a better person for being her parent ...

So, for those of you that carry this ache, flowers and a great big cyber hug. xx

Iam64 Sat 05-Mar-16 18:30:16

What a sensitive and thoughtful OP Imperfect. Thank you. There are many ways to lose a child and Mothering Sunday does remind us of that flowers

cornergran Sat 05-Mar-16 18:37:40

[hugs] and flowersto all who are sad tomorrow.

Judthepud2 Sat 05-Mar-16 23:26:37

And flowers from me Kupari and all those mothers who will be missing their lost children tomorrow.

westieyaya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:40:35

I lost my mother many years ago, but it still hurts, especially when supermarkets email me every day with their don't forget flowers for your mother message

harrysgran Sun 06-Mar-16 09:41:02

Lovely thoughtful words it's such a sad day for for some.

Falconbird Sun 06-Mar-16 10:02:40

Can't find the words so .... flowers

Worlass Sun 06-Mar-16 10:22:29

My heart aches for all of you mourning the loss of loved ones. flowers

janbattle Sun 06-Mar-16 10:34:46

This Mothers Day is hard as it is also the week of what should have been my son's 43rd birthday. I try to remain cheerful on Mothers Day for my daughter and her family,but there is always the thought that I should have two cards,not one. My son took his own life at 23, but he left behind a daughter,so I will always have something of him. He and his father,who died last year are together in the cemetery a short walk away and I go when I can.

annsixty Sun 06-Mar-16 10:39:03

flowers for you all.
No comfort but I hope it helps just a little to know we have you all in our thoughts.

Mrsdof Sun 06-Mar-16 10:51:43

Oh wow, what a sad but inspirational post. Much love and hugs to all those who are struggling today of all days flowers

witchygran Sun 06-Mar-16 16:54:58

Please may I add my thoughts to all those who are sad today? Sending much love and light to you all.

PRINTMISS Sun 06-Mar-16 17:03:25

Joining with you all in thoughts for those who have lost their children. The sadness must never go away, and always difficult at this time.flowers

grannyqueenie Sun 06-Mar-16 17:17:44

My thoughts are with all who have found today a hard one, for whatever reason, and have a sore heart this Mother's Day. Shops full of cards and flowers fail to acknowledge that it's not necessarily a wholly happy day for everyone xx flowers

nipsmum Sun 06-Mar-16 17:29:21

Just had the family for lunch. Love and hugs to all our mums dads and grandparents who can't do such a simple thing.

Blinko Sun 06-Mar-16 18:21:08

We are fortunate to have 2DSs and 3 GCs between them. So many reasons to be happy today. But there's always a corner of my heart for our very first DS who was 'born sleeping'. flowers to everyone who's finding it hard today for whatever reason. As one poster says, there are many ways to lose a child...

Kittycat Sun 06-Mar-16 19:31:46

Our neighbours daughter gave birth to a (very) little boy 2weeks ago- 7 weeks premature. His Grandmother told us he survived for 6 days. So sad for them all today.

Carolebarrel Sun 06-Mar-16 19:57:10

My love and best wishes to all mums who have not been happy today, for whatever reason.

trendygran Sun 06-Mar-16 19:59:19

Thank you Imperfect27 for your hugs and thoughts for those of us who have lost a child like you. I have a lovely card from DD1 and spent a good day with her,my SIL and two grandchildren BUT If only there were still two cards ,as I know there would have been from my beautiful l
ate, DD2. I also cannot stop thinking,even more than usual ,of her 2 daughters ,10 and 8, 300miles away in Wales. I hope they made cards for my SIL's new partner who is lovely and treats the girls as if they were her own. That is what keeps me going but I will always miss DD2 so very much!

trendygran Sun 06-Mar-16 20:06:08

Special hugs to you Janbattlle. My daughter took her own life 6 years ago ,aged 33,leaving 2 daughters then aged 4 and 2. She would have been 40 next month. A day I am dreading but hope to share with her sister here. My DH died suddenly in 2008- 16 months before I lost my DD.Life can be very cruel at times!

annsixty Sun 06-Mar-16 20:53:00

Taking of their own life seems to me the cruellest way of losing a child no matter how old.
It smacks of us not doing enough to make things right for them and when they leave children one wonders just how desperate they must have been.
I speak as someone whose child has tried on several occasions to do this. Things are much better now for us for some it is too late.

Norgran Mon 07-Mar-16 09:36:30

Special hugs to everyone who has lost a child of any age flowers I spent a lovely day with my dd sil and GC, but the pain of losing my son is always in the background and looking at one card today where there should be two is so sad.

Borogirl49 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:00:44

I cannot think of any thing worse than losing a child .my thoughts are with you .I hope the happy memories eventually overtake the sadness.xxx❤️❤️❤️

Imperfect27 Mon 07-Mar-16 20:53:46

THANK YOU for all the brave, beautiful and supportive posts here - Gransnet at its best!

My heartfelt sympathy for all who have shared your losses here.

flowers flowers flowers xxx

mollie Mon 07-Mar-16 21:11:23

I am very glad that there is a Bereavement forum for so many of us to say what's on our mind in a supporting, understanding space. GN is a good place generally but having our own little corner makes it easier to say 'it's hit me out of the blue' and know that others will understand. Some have questioned the need in the last day or two but I am thankful for it's existence. I never understand why people attack - rather than ignore - something they don't like!

As for yesterday, it wasn't as bad as I feared. I'm glad to say that's often the case but every year I approach the day with dread...

Imperfect27 Tue 08-Mar-16 07:21:27

mollie flowers
I find the build up to things is often the worse part. Someone else posted here to say they understand why we say we are 'broken-hearted', because the pain is very physical at times. A couple of days before Mothering Sunday, I had the return of the old sensation that someone had stomped on my chest. It happens for me around anniversaries and special days - as you say, 'out of the blue' - and then I think to myself, I am grieving again. Quite often, when the day itself arrives, or very soon after, the pain disappears again.