Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Anniversary sadness

(46 Posts)
grannyactivist Thu 26-May-16 14:29:31

Today is the anniversary of my son in law's death, he was killed in Afghanistan at the age of twenty six. My husband was on a solo cycle ride in Norway at the time and immediately abandoned his trip and flew home to be with the family. The situation today is that my daughter has remarried to another military man and he is currently on a tour of duty abroad (we're not allowed to know where) and my husband is once again cycling solo in Norway. People are very kind and understand the difficulties of the day so I have had quite a few texts and calls, but to be honest I feel sick every time my phone rings.

No other anniversary has felt quite this bad, this one feels almost unbearably poignant and my eyes have been leaking all day. I just feel terribly, terribly sad and also frustrated and angry at the waste of a young life. My sons are both feeling very emotional too. The younger one was very close to his brother in law and today he's sitting an end of year exam at uni, the older one - who is now twenty six himself - says he can't imagine how his wife would cope if something happened to him.

My daughter is understandably weepy, but has sensibly taken the day off work and is spending it at a Spa with a close friend who was bereaved last year (she lost her 3 year old son). We will visit the grave together on Saturday and have planned a lovely day together then. sad

Kennedy Thu 30-Jun-16 10:24:43

Hope you all feel better soon. Sending you a hug!!!

spyder08 Mon 06-Jun-16 18:22:52

Grannyactivist....Not bonkers at all but a very caring human being. Well done for taking in this young man even though you are grieving for your late son in law.
We are all reminded of the gratitude we owe to our armed forces and to their families.
Obviously you will never forget but hopefully it will get easier for you.
brew flowers cupcake

nigglynellie Mon 06-Jun-16 16:22:04

Grannyactivist and everyone who has suffered bereavement. All I can say is how sorry I am to hear your stories. Even though she married again extremely happily, my mother could never talk about my dead father without tears even though at the end of her life he had been dead for 44 years. The manner of his death had never left her, so I do sympathise with you and all young deaths. flowers well, all deaths actually.

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jun-16 10:41:41

Kupari have you received my message or email or both?

Synonymous Thu 02-Jun-16 12:34:20

For all who are grieving flowers

AlieOxon Thu 02-Jun-16 12:13:53

I have just managed to send the pm, following GNHQ's instructions not to do a reply....something to do with the subject line!

AlieOxon Thu 02-Jun-16 09:12:00

Kupari, I still can't post. can receive, so if you would send your email I can contact you that way?

Anya Tue 31-May-16 12:09:00

To those who have lost young people, gone before 'their time' I can only send (((hugs))) and my heartfelt wishes that time brings a little peace.

Elrel Tue 31-May-16 11:50:01

A sobering thread which put petty problems into perspective. All good wishes to everyone who is grieving and showing such strength in their mutual support. ?

grannyactivist Tue 31-May-16 11:32:05

A little postscript to my earlier post:

At the graveside my six year old grandson was looking slightly sad and pensive and leant for a minute or so against the headstone. As he came around to join us his three year old brother reached out and stroked his arm in such a touching gesture of concern that my daughter and I, until then holding it together pretty well, were completely undone. I am very proud of the two little boys who seem to be able to understand and respect the need for decorum at the graveside (although we have celebrated all sorts of occasions there) and then as soon as we leave they let it go and revert to their usual boisterous selves. smile

Kupari45 Tue 31-May-16 11:03:58

AlieOxon, Thanks for trying to get back to me. Hopefully HQ will sort it soon.

AlieOxon Mon 30-May-16 20:43:58

Now asking GNHQ to sort it please!

AlieOxon Sun 29-May-16 17:49:17

Kupari, I am having difficulties answering your pm as it won't post! will try again later.

AlieOxon Sun 29-May-16 12:52:38

Kupari My daughter died very suddenly on May 3rd last year. she left a six month old baby and a distraught family.....

rubylady Fri 27-May-16 21:25:49

Sending you love and kind thoughts grannyactivist. I hope you find some peace when you share your time on Saturday.

Love also to others grieving the loss of a loved one. flowers

annodomini Fri 27-May-16 18:28:24

Dear GA, I remember so well, when many of us joined GN five years ago, you and your daughter were going through a very sad time and how we admired your daughter's courage. Anniversaries don't make things any better, no matter how long it is since the sad event. I hope tomorrow passes well for both of you and I know you will have many good memories to dwell on ((((hugs))) for you and your DD. flowers

Penstemmon Fri 27-May-16 17:56:25

Sending virtual {{{hugs}}} to all those bereaved through the unhappy situation of war as well as those who are grieving for loved ones recently lost.

grannyactivist Fri 27-May-16 17:43:41

He was one of the many who were killed in the summer of 2010 Kupari - it was a dreadful situation, but I have to pay tribute to the widows who gave each other tremendous support.

Kupari45 Fri 27-May-16 14:54:02

Hello AlieO and granny a.
granny a. when was your son in law killed? . Your sounded so sad, it must have been a very difficult day for you all.
Alie O I am thinking of you, how old was your daughter?. My heart goes out to you both. Its four months next week since my daughter died, so I can truly say I know how you both feel.
thinking of you both, and sending you both my best wishes.
Brenda

grannyactivist Thu 26-May-16 22:45:19

If he kicks up any aggro I'll set the Australian bloke I took in a couple of weeks ago on him!! grin #livinginamadhouse

grannyactivist Thu 26-May-16 22:43:31

Oh dear Alie sometimes it seems it never rains, but it pours! I do hope your son in law gets help and that your friendship is soon restored. Sending you a (((hug))) and flowers.

I finally went into town late this afternoon and came across a young man who needed a bed for the night. He promised me he isn't an axe murderer and asked for assurances that I'm not one either and is now soundly sleeping (I hope) upstairs. I am absolutely bonkers I know!

Galen Thu 26-May-16 22:36:31

Bad week for a few of us.
Bellasnana husband died 1year ago on 24th and my husband died 13years ago on the 23rd
May they all rest in peace.

merlotgran Thu 26-May-16 21:55:19

Sorry to hear you've both had a sad day, ga and Alie. Hope tomorrow is a better for you.

Indinana Thu 26-May-16 21:20:17

Grannya and alie, there are no words. ((((hugs)))) and flowers for you both.

AlieOxon Thu 26-May-16 21:06:54

I will try but at the moment I don't know quite what to say...

Thanks everybody for your thoughts and I also send flowers for others who grieve....flowers