Gransnet forums

Bereavement

bereavement

(44 Posts)
grizelda Sun 11-Sep-16 19:07:28

My DH died after 58 years of marriage and 5 years of his increasing dementia. 4 months ago my 14-year-old dog died, and I find that I am grieving more for her now. I am wracked with guilt, knowing my DH is so much more important than a dog, but can't seem to help myself. Has anyone else had these feelings.

Jayh Fri 16-Sep-16 10:05:40

?Grizelda Losing a much loved pet is like losing a person. You are mourning your husband and your dog so be kind to yourself. Simply mourn both and don't allow guilt to be a part of it. ?

embo32 Fri 16-Sep-16 10:15:20

flowers

millymouge Fri 16-Sep-16 22:46:52

I have seen advertised, I think it is the RSPCA, that you can arrange that should something happen to you they will take and find your pet a new, good home. It would be a comfort to know that. We rescue ex-racing greyhounds, some that have rotten lives and have only just avoided being put to sleep. Should something happen to us they must be returned to the rescue that they came from so their futures are assured.

Tessa101 Sat 17-Sep-16 09:52:51

I totally agree with irma flowers

radicalnan Sat 17-Sep-16 09:53:29

Grief is the price we pay for loving and to have suffered two cl ose bereavements as you have done must hurt terribly.

Nurturing takes a lot of our emotional space up and you must miss that too.

Life can be a proper stinker.

I am so sorry yours is wretched at the moment.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 17-Sep-16 10:02:45

Animals give you unconditional love.How many times have we put aside our own needs to do something for one of our loved ones only to be made to feel that it was our duty.
I still grieve for every pet I have lost over the years and have a cry when I think of the little things they used to do.
I gave my husband 50 years of my life and there were many times I felt what I did was expected of me.Yes I do miss him
but not with the intensity that I miss my beloved pets

Tegan Sat 17-Sep-16 10:34:31

My dogs cancer has come back sad. We are not putting her through an operation again. She's only 9 and, apart from this is incredibly healthy. We don't know how long we'll have her for; it could be months or even years. I feel so sad for her.

marionk Sat 17-Sep-16 10:59:11

Oh gosh, I think this is a welcome release of emotion and I know I don't have any control over what sparks mine! I was in overdrive when my dad died and failed to grieve until some years later when I scraped some old wallpaper off in our bathroom and found his calculations for tiles scribbled on the wall underneath- open floodgates!

hulahoop Sat 17-Sep-16 11:03:02

Oh Tegan sorry to hear that enjoy time left with her x

foxie Sat 17-Sep-16 11:25:18

Grief takes on many forms and there's no prescribed timescale either. The way you feel about your DH and the dog can't be explained or quantified but give it time as the saying goes. We had a cat, a lovable furry friend and now years after she died I still feel behind me before sitting in my favourite armchair because she also liked to roost there behind a cushion. Silly I know but that's the way we are.

Nonnie Sat 17-Sep-16 11:53:20

DH's mother died and then 13 years later his father died. He grieved so much for his mother. I think the mind copes in whatever way it can so suggest you stop beating yourself up and let it all come out. flowers

inishowen Sat 17-Sep-16 12:24:42

When my friend's husband died she started to grieve for the baby she'd given up for adoption. She was devastated to lose her husband but it seemed to reignite the earlier sadness too.

oldgoose Sat 17-Sep-16 17:57:42

Grizelda, I am no stranger to grieving, and I know that for a long time after you lose anyone your mind and emotions go in all directions. Some days you go through just about every emotion known to man and for an hour or two you could rule the world, then in another hour or two you are gibbering wreck. Go with the flow, don't be hard on yourself. You were just getting your head around being widowed and your precious dog died - how would anyone feel? You are focusing on your dog at the moment but it will change, you will start to miss your husband more and then it will change again. Losing people close to you really messes with your mind, I lost my Dad and my husband within 6 months of each other and I flitted from missing one more than the other. It dosn't matter if you are grieving for your dog - it's still a loss and as any animal lover knows, your pet is part of your family. You will have ups and downs and have emotions you didn;t know you possessed. It's all part of grieving. My heart goes out to you, but you will settle eventually and things will be more in prospective. Sending strength.

Bez1989 Sat 17-Sep-16 20:34:43

Sending flowerssunshineflowers
To anyone who has lost a pet. I know the extreme pain one can feel. I got comfort when losing our Westie at 15 + years by finding a wonderful Private Pet Cremation service in my area. They are a wonderful animal loving family living out in the countryside.

They came to our home to collect him with a lovely covered dog bed and took him away with dignity. We now have his ashes in a small wooden box with the appropriate words on a brass looking tablet on the top.
I often touch it and talk to him.

I can recommend this type of service for
anyone who loses a beloved pet.
And I do believe I shall see him again in the next and better life.

Sending warm wishes to anyone grieving the loss of a beloved pet. It's the price we have to pay for loving them so much.

Peardrop Mon 19-Sep-16 11:27:47

To both Jenn and Grizelda, huge sympathy. Fortunately my husband is alive and well, but we have coped with the loss of dogs many times. It never gets any easier and we have another 'event' looming. Our comfort is that we have always done our best for our dogs. They love you until their last breath and too often it falls to us to decide when that will be.

michalleen Mon 19-Sep-16 18:02:11

I can understand your, I lost my dog Shadow two years ago and wept for her for weeks, it was such a shock, she was fine in the morning and gone by mid day.she had spl
eenic cancer and was only eight years old My daughter died of cancer too at the age of 40, leaving us with three teenage children after a four year battle, but I always new I would lose her one day so I guess I although so sad

Tegan Mon 19-Sep-16 18:34:24

flowers

grizelda Sat 24-Sep-16 21:49:30

Bez1989
I think I used the same Pet Crematorium - in North Hampshire.
The vet wanted to take her after she had passed,but I had heard awful things about how they were treated. When I collected her from Hook, the grounds were really beautiful - the bluebells were in full bloom and the whole place was so peaceful. The owners were so thoughtful, and all the pets are managed individually. My thoughts are with you.