Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Family not informed of death

(28 Posts)
Slug1234 Tue 29-Nov-16 23:11:16

I feel wretched about what just happened. My Dad died 3 weeks ago. Funeral was one week ago. Due to family fued mum did not want her estranged family to come or even be told. I reluctantly agreed to respect her wishes so she could grieve in peace. i stay in contact with my grandma, her mum. the ongoing secrecy felt too weird. Each day passing and them not knowing added another stone to the weight I carrying around. I phoned grandma who suffers mild dementia to explain. She was devastated. The news has now reached wider family. They not seen Dad for 2/3 years. I explained to Mam in an email as soon as I made the call that it was impossible to keep it secret and gran now knows and sends her condolences. The family doubtless blame me for not intervening/ overruling her decision not to tell them. Mum doubtless furious with me for telling. Not returning my calls. Was I right to go along with the exclusion in the first place? Was it right to tell the family? The alternative would have been to pretend he was still alive and let them find out from some other source. I can't even believe I've just written this. Is this situation normal? I can't make any sense of what's happening

cornergran Wed 30-Nov-16 19:23:24

Pleased that worry is over, slug. Now take time for yourself and your own grief.

Yorkshiregel Thu 01-Dec-16 16:53:59

We all make mistakes, yours was agreeing to go along with this. When people die others want to say goodbye and the only way they can do that is to attend the funeral.

Anyway, I am sorry that this caused you so much turmoil. You did the right thing in the end and thank goodness you have too. Things such as this can cause a family rift for years.

Probably your DM was feeling sad that those she wished not to be at the funeral did not visit your father when he was dying. She had a right to feel sad. Families should stick together and get over any imaginary slights.

Anyway all's well that ends well. You should not have been put in that position in the first place. We all show our grief in different ways, your DM seems as though her first reaction was anger, followed by regret, followed by a feeling that she did wrong asking you to keep the secret.

What a loving, caring person you are. The family feud will be over I expect now. All thanks to you.