Gransnet forums

Bereavement

For all the babies.....

(44 Posts)
MawBroon Fri 05-Oct-18 09:03:25

45 years ago I went into hospital to have our first baby. We were thrilled to have a little boy and equally devastated when he died 24 days later. I realise that had he lived I probably wouldn't have had our wonderful 3 daughters and 4 amazing grandchildren whom I love more than life itself, but still ....................I shall shed a tear tomorrow for the memories of what was initially such a happy time and what might have been.

folly22 Mon 15-Oct-18 21:11:28

My 3rd baby died a few hours after birth. I still remember the disbelief and how people avoided me, presumably because they didn’t know what to say. I was so lucky to be able to have another baby and cannot imagine life without her. My eldest grandson is named after my son who died and that means so much. Thinking of all of you who have lost babies, especially the OP on the anniversary of your loss.( I would like to have added flowers but can’t seem to)

ginny Mon 15-Oct-18 19:46:21

Candle burning here. ❤️

JoyBloggs Mon 15-Oct-18 19:26:49

Candle burning here tonight... Thinking of you all and the babies we are missing. flowers

chocolatepudding Mon 15-Oct-18 18:58:54

Please light a candle this evening in memory of our babies - as part of Baby Loss Awareness Week.

GillT57 Sun 14-Oct-18 14:32:02

flowers to all of you, I had a very early miscarriage and sometimes wonder about the child who would have been 27 this summer

rafichagran Sun 14-Oct-18 13:18:57

Son, sorry

rafichagran Sun 14-Oct-18 13:18:31

My sin would have been 38 this yearflowers to all of us who have experienced this

Chewbacca Sun 07-Oct-18 21:41:09

flowers for all of you grieving.

NannyG4 Sun 07-Oct-18 21:30:40

When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure. God Bless you all, I can't imagine the pain. ?

MamaCaz Sun 07-Oct-18 17:49:22

flowers for all of you.
I am in tears just reading your posts, imagining your pain.

nigglynellie Sun 07-Oct-18 13:44:08

I have never suffered the pain of this awful loss but my mother after remarrying after the war suffered several miscarriages, usually at about 5 months. Undoubtedly a great sadness for her and my stepfather, but not particularly for me until I got older, and now I'm old I often wonder what they would have been like and how nice it would be to have a sibling or maybe 2 to chat to, maybe go out with, in fact a friend to confide in and just be there in good times and bad.

JoyBloggs Sat 06-Oct-18 10:06:12

Such heart-breaking memories on here... I'm another mother/gran who knows the agony of baby loss and my thoughts and sympathy go out to all of you. The sadness never goes away, you just have to find your own way to live with it. I don't feel able to add my story, but just wanted to share this quote.

“A wife who loses a husband is called a widow. A husband who loses a wife is called a widower. A child who loses his parents is called an orphan. There is no word for a parent who loses a child. That’s how awful the loss is.”

―Jay Neugeboren,An Orphan's Tale

I am thinking of you today Maw and hope the day passes as gently as possible.

baubles Sat 06-Oct-18 09:48:00

My first pregnancy ended in miscarriage 39 years ago in the week before Christmas. I went on to have healthy babies who are now parents, and I know that they wouldn’t be here had the first baby survived, however there have been moments of deep sadness which take me by surprise after all this time.

I vividly remember the day, almost sixty years ago, that my baby sister died. Some memories are seared into the brain.

Thinking of all of you who have lost babies and children flowers

MawBroon Sat 06-Oct-18 09:18:27

It is like a cloud isn’t it?
I am always relieved when the 6th of October is behind me. Tomorrow is however SIL3’s birthday so it is good to link the date with something more positive.
My first year of remembering on my own too. We didn’t often talk about him but I know it went deep with Paw.

Marelli Fri 05-Oct-18 22:14:14

My wee boy would've been 50 last December. Cot-death at 14 weeks and there's hardly a day when he doesn't come into my mind. I went on to have 2 more children afterwards (having had a daughter before him).
Just before Xmas, every year, I am so deeply and desperately sad. Nothing will comfort me during those days.
Heartfelt thoughts to all those here who lost their precious babies. Xx

grannyqueenie Fri 05-Oct-18 21:53:10

It’s a sadness I’ve not had to bear and my heart goes out to those who’ve experienced it. I’ve recently got to know a friend who had a stillborn baby almost 40 years ago. I thought of her today as I read an article on BBC news page “Stillbirth: I am a mother without a baby”. It wasn’t an easy read but expressed so much of what folk are saying in this thread.
Thinking of all with an empty space in their family xx

gillybob Fri 05-Oct-18 21:43:09

.....or indeed a child of any age . sad

gillybob Fri 05-Oct-18 21:38:19

I can’t begin to imagine the heartbreak of losing a baby, it must never leave you. xx

paddyann Fri 05-Oct-18 19:53:27

My first live child would be 43 , she lived just 4 days ,the miscarriage of her twin and six later miscarriages are also remembered every day .I am lucky that I have 2 who survived and are wonderful people ,great parents and who have hearts of gold .They are however not replacements for the lost babies ,you cant replace any child .My thoughts are with you all who suffered the same loss,its one that you never get over ,just learn to live with

Bookatbedtime Fri 05-Oct-18 19:13:58

My little boy was born on bonfire night 36 years ago and died 4 months later in his pram when I was out shopping. I wasn't able to take my other sons to bonfire night parties for quite a few years. I've shed a few tears reading these posts and my heart goes out to you all.

lemongrove Fri 05-Oct-18 17:58:35

Maw flowers

ginny Fri 05-Oct-18 17:46:54

Thinking of all of you who have had to deal with such sadness. My youngest DD lost a baby that should have been born last month and has found talking about the experience with others in the same position helpful but it is not generally spoken about even these days. A close friend of hers had a baby a few days after hers would have been due and of course very pleased that all was well but another difficult time for her.

MawBroon Fri 05-Oct-18 15:38:41

Usedtobeginger flowers

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:10:32

??hugs and prayers

UsedtobeGinger Fri 05-Oct-18 13:53:30

My DD crochets little soft white blankets and gives them to her local maternity hospital to wrap the little ones "born sleeping"
Her brother would be 30 now.