Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Understanding yet again please

(178 Posts)
Anniebach Sun 14-Oct-18 10:45:58

I have said I fear seeing the bridge in town where my adored daughter died last November. Cannot go to physiotherapist, GP, dentist because their surgeries are next to the bridge, have to cross it to go to town so will not go there .

We have been hit by the storms. The river in the town has flooded many times over the years, I heard yesterday it was only 2” off flooding again. There is a group on line for information on what is going on in and around town. I look at it every day, this morning i wanted to check which roads are still closed because I could tell my younger granddaughter which roads to avoid should she decide to drive here today.

There was a photograph of the river and the bridge, it has distressed me so much, my thoughts were of my girl standing there in the dark and alone . Thoughts I have not allowed to come to mind, they flooded my mind.

Will this ever pass ?

maddyone Fri 02-Nov-18 23:56:38

I agree with everyone else, beautiful memories Annie xx

Nandalot Fri 02-Nov-18 22:09:03

Some lovely memories. Thank you for sharing. the

MawBroon Fri 02-Nov-18 21:46:52

Love shines a light Anniebach

Anniebach Fri 02-Nov-18 21:42:27

No batty, two years has passed, one sister is recovering from a heart triple bypass, i am to fearful to contact her. I have tried with the youngest, she replied she felt very guilty and had to live it, the third ? too vengeful , always has been , it was her son who told the lies so useless me telling her he lied , she would be furious with me. They haven’t spoken to our brother for 22 years . Best to leave well alone.

oldbatty Fri 02-Nov-18 21:34:12

Is there any chance you could reach out to your sisters Annie, send a card?

Cherrytree59 Fri 02-Nov-18 21:13:58

Catherine is indeed a lovely name annie

I hope you don't mind me saying that you shine an eternal light onto the life of Catherine through the warm and joyful stories of a mother and her daughter.

Grandmashe43 Fri 02-Nov-18 21:05:46

Thank you for sharing Anniex

cornergran Fri 02-Nov-18 20:46:52

Please share more of your Catherine as you feel you want to annie, it’s good to get to know her. A hug for you. You’re very brave.

Luckygirl Fri 02-Nov-18 20:22:44

And it is so lovely to hear Annie - the real person behind the illness.

Anniebach Fri 02-Nov-18 18:48:28

Thank you all so much x

For a year I have spoken of my darling daughters mental illness, self medicating, the distress to the family . Now I have talked of my Catherine , her love of life, her caring nature . I said a year ago she was my joy, my tears, my world, you have allowed me to speak of ‘my joy’ x

Jalima1108 Fri 02-Nov-18 16:01:37

I think writing some chapters about Catherine's life sounds like a lovely idea, if you feel able to do so Anniebach - even if just to preserve them for future generations
smile

Bellanonna Fri 02-Nov-18 15:59:26

I enjoyed that last story annie. Good for Catherine!

Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Nov-18 13:57:14

Annie, your Catherine sounds like a lovely person. What a joy she must have been. flowers

debohunXL5 Fri 02-Nov-18 13:37:58

Thinking of you flowers

silverlining48 Fri 02-Nov-18 10:45:32

Thinking of you and your Catherine Annie flowers

Grandmashe43 Fri 02-Nov-18 10:44:04

What a sensible child, Annie, as Willow said, you may think about writing her life story, it would perhaps help you and I’m sure many others in getting to know your darling Catherine xx

Anniebach Fri 02-Nov-18 10:30:48

Thank you x

I will share this, it could be anyone’s child or grandchild and for me puts St Paul in his place ‘when I was a child I thought like a child etc.’ And with Christmas coming nearer

The first Christmas after my husband died Catherine was nearly 8, we decided to build a new crib, I gave my girls all the choices for the crib.

Mary,Joseph and the baby were made from welsh green slate, the donkey , green and red tartan from Scotland and taller than Joseph ! The shepherds and 3 wise men made from clothes pegs, straw from the pet shop and the animals , sheep, a cat, a dog, a cow and a pig! A tinsel star stuck on the roof.

The curate from the Cathedral came to the house to bless the crib. He did say ‘ I have never seen a crib like this one !
then very kindly said ‘ I think you should remove the pig, a pig wouldn’t have been in the stable and explained why.

Catherine said ‘ Noah saved all the animals didn’t he? So he must have saved pigs ‘

The curate whispered to me ‘ I have no answer to that ‘ and blessed the crib ?

Luckygirl Fri 02-Nov-18 08:43:08

She sounds as though she was a young lady of principle from the start annie - I am sure she got this from you.

Bellanonna Fri 02-Nov-18 08:05:30

What a lovely, feisty girl Catherine must have been. It’s good to read these little insights into your lives in happier times. Do share any more little snippets as they occur to you. X

NfkDumpling Fri 02-Nov-18 07:35:58

My mum started a book for her grandchildren, hand written, about her childhood and what life was like then. She took it up to the time she got married. She then passed it to me to continue with my life. I’ve done it on the computer as typing is easier for me than writing and I’m afraid I’ve yet to transcribe it into the book. It’s amazing how life has changed in what seems like quite a short time. I think you said you were writing memories of Catherine’s childhood but do include a bit about what was going on in the world and what your living conditions and attitudes were like. It’s fascinating how things have changed. flowers

Willow500 Fri 02-Nov-18 07:21:21

Just a thought Annie - have you tried writing all these lovely precious memories into a journal with pictures of Catherine at the ages they took place. It would be lovely for her children to remember their mum (and grandma) from those days. My FIL started writing his memoirs when MIL had passed away and it was fascinating to read of his memories as a child.

maddyone Fri 02-Nov-18 00:15:14

Oh what lovely memories of your beloved girl. I hope these beautiful memories bring you a little smile as you picture your lovely girl and remember her kindness and love.

cornergran Thu 01-Nov-18 23:29:24

Hello annie, it’s a privilege to hear these snippets of Catherines life. I’m smiling thinking of her and the brave, caring person she was. Sending love to you at this very sad time. Chin up. You’re doing well.

Bikerhiker Thu 01-Nov-18 22:58:43

Thinking of you today Annie. Lovely to read of your cherished memories with Catherine. So precious. X

Grandmashe43 Thu 01-Nov-18 22:40:07

Just like her Mummy your darling daughter Catherine, x