Gransnet forums

Bereavement

What would you do?

(27 Posts)
overthehill Sat 01-Dec-18 10:38:44

Our sister-in-law died in October and my DH has been regularly ringing his brother, her husband, to let him know he's thinking of him.

My DH is not happiest using the phone, but to his credit he said he would keep in regualr contact and he has, as his brother lives quite a way from us.

He rang the other night and after a brief conversation his brother broke down in tears and put the phone down. Now this has created a problem. I asked DH if was going to ring the other night and he said "no, what's the point if it going to upset him". We appreciate of course, what he is going through, but DH does have a point and probably feels very awkward and as I said, it's probably taken courage to ring in the first place. They are not close, close brothers.

BlueBelle Tue 01-Jan-19 11:06:25

Oh please please try to encourage him to ring again it is so important to accept his tears and not reject them Can you ring too he needs more not less contact
Men are so funny about tears he’s not upset because your husband rang, but your husband gave him the opportunity to get some pent up feelings out in the open and it is SO SO important to get it out not keep it stored up