Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Are you sending and receiving as many Christmas cards ?

(41 Posts)
MawBroon Sat 15-Dec-18 00:21:47

I wonder if others are finding they are getting fewer cards since losing their DH? I have a feeling I am.
I have written cards to everybody on our card list from previous years but a card I received today made me feel quite hurt. It was from one of DH’s former colleagues (and his wife) who I thought was a good friend and whom I apparently offended when DH died and I somehow missed notifying him of the date of the funeral (in my defence, I did have other things on my mind like being bereaved and he could have tried harder to find out) Anyway, that was sorted out and all seemed well.
So I sent them a card and I wrote a little note inside as I have done for everybody and today got ...one of those “free” Red Cross “Snowman” cards with a scrawled “All the best, Tom and Pat” -just that.
That’s that isn’t it? Another one bites the dust.
I suppose I should be grateful it wasn’t one of their (dreary) Round Robin letters like we have had before, full of details of the cruises, the conservatory and decorating the upstairs (yawn)

stella1949 Sat 15-Dec-18 03:13:24

I'm sorry this is happening MawBroon. I also think that people are just sending less cards than in the past. I used to send and receive about 30-40 cards every year, but in the last few years it has dropped down to about 15 cards received. Some of these people have sent text messages or emails instead - not quite the same thing in my mind. And this year, two people ( so far) have made announcements on Facebook that "we aren't sending cards any more - accept this as our good wishes".

So I think it's a sign of the times - few people bother with sending paper letters, so I guess that cards come into that category as well.

PamelaJ1 Sat 15-Dec-18 07:06:22

I still have my DH but our card input nd output has dwindled too.
Jolly good thing IMO

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Dec-18 07:28:10

Not in mine. I love to get cards, especially those with a personal message, and to me they’re just as much part of Christmas as the tree and the mince pies. I’ve had some particularly nice ones this year.

But yes, a lot of people aren’t sending them and that seems to be the general trend.

PamelaJ1 Sat 15-Dec-18 07:54:35

Don’t get me wrong Maggie, I do like getting cards from people I know well, like and/or love.
It’s just the others. I particularly dislike getting them from business I deal with.

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Dec-18 08:10:28

Oh, I agree with you there, Pamela! Sincere (of course) Season’s Greetings from a taxi firm we used once, or the local estate agent. grin Now those never make it onto the mantelpiece!

pensionpat Sat 15-Dec-18 08:12:38

The first card we receive is always from husbands provider of stoma products. Very festive!

cornergran Sat 15-Dec-18 08:24:33

It’s not just you maw. There are two of us but we get less and less each year. I’m sorry you were hurt by paws colleague and friend, no excuse for the thoughtlessness.

Alygran Sat 15-Dec-18 08:31:31

In the same position as Maw but cards do seem to be coming, no less than 8 in the post yesterday. I sent about 50, some with letters some brief notes. Of those received some say simply thinking of you, many are the usual greeting friends have always sent. One or two have mentioned DH. So far this year none have come addressed to both of us, something which was tough last year.
I look at them on my windowsill and they are a comfort that I haven’t been entirely forgotten, or perhaps they remembered me when they got to me in their address book!

ninathenana Sat 15-Dec-18 08:58:15

Alygran I don't know 50 people to send a card to. I only have about 30 numbers in my phone book and half of them are people such as the plumber, GP, optician, newsagent etc. Who I don't send to.
My card list has dwindled in recent years due to deceased friends and relatives.
It was lovely when I worked n a school all the staff exchanged cards and we would receive several from pupils too. Every one of them was strung up around the lounge/diner.
This afternoon I will write 10-12 and that's it.

Iam64 Sat 15-Dec-18 09:14:47

I suspect the underlying reason for less cards, is the fact sending Christmas cards has gradually become less popular than it used to be. Facebook means people send e cards, the cost of stamps is fairly prohibitive so a number of factors contributing.
I do send cards, enjoy receiving them but I expect that if I'm lucky enough to be around over the next several years, it will be something only a few of us oldies do.

Newquay Sat 15-Dec-18 09:21:56

Well I have resolved this is the last year I have to write Christmas cards! I said as much to DH and he replied it’s good to keep in touch BUT I DO keep in touch with folks all year. In fact chatting to a friend now on her own-who lives a long way away now-she agreed and said you DO keep in touch all year! So what on Earth is the point of this wasteful exercise? I send many (free) ecards and only post a few to folks not online. When cards arrive I just see it as more landfill sadly! We have also agreed in the family/friends this no gifts for adults too. As we never over indulge in food or drink that’s not a problem either-i’m Just off now to polish my halo! Lol!

Maggiemaybe Sat 15-Dec-18 09:51:21

Not many card fans on here, then! I still love them and never even open e-cards. They were a novelty a few years back, and I sent a few myself, but now I just see them as a round robin without the news. We had one from a couple last year with a covering email addressed to around a hundred of their closest friends, telling us that they were sponsoring a toilet somewhere instead of wasting money on cards and we should all do the same. Good of them to instruct us what to do, but we thought we’d just continue giving to our own favourite charities (as well as sending proper cards).

Oddly, we’ve received a card from them in the post today....

Charleygirl5 Sat 15-Dec-18 09:57:49

The cost of postage is horrendous I find. I get cross receiving a card from a friend yesterday who lives miles way saying, love, Z. Okay, she may not have been on a world cruise but she could at least have told me she is in good health. That to me is a waste of money because I send a personal note inside each card. I am aware I am in my element because I am a serial writer!

annodomini Sat 15-Dec-18 09:59:28

It has come to something when you pay more for the stamp than for the card. I notice that I am receiving fewer cards from friends and relatives than ever before. I have also sent fewer and will send some e-cards as well, when I get my drowned laptop back in working order,

MawBroon Sat 15-Dec-18 10:27:05

The cost of postage is horrendous I find. I get cross receiving a card from a friend yesterday who lives miles way saying, love, Z
I do agree Charleygirl for decades we got a card from E and M and all I knew was that a) they were still together and b) they were still alive which is something I suppose! But frustrating. Even. “Hope all is well with you, we have the children here for Christmas” is something.
I must not be so churlish, but honestly the scribbled “Best wishes Tom and Pat in the free Red Cross card from one of paw’s closest former colleagues, whom we have had here to lunch several times, was the limit (I don’t think his wife ever liked me actually)

Feelingmyage55 Sat 15-Dec-18 10:27:48

Sending fewer and receiving fewer. However I make a specific effort if a friend has has a brereavement or particularly difficult year to acknowledge that in a carefully chosen card with an enclosed note - an act of love at best and a courtesy at least that I was on the receiving end of many years ago that meant a great deal to me in the face of others’ indifference/embarrassment. I stored away the kindness in my memory and have replicated it many times to friends, neighbours and acquaintances. Why would we not try to soften the pain of others with a little thought. Sometimes it is the little things that are the bigger things.

Feelingmyage55 Sat 15-Dec-18 10:28:35

Missed a ? Although it was a rhetorical question.

Bellanonna Sat 15-Dec-18 10:34:30

pensionpat, that made me laugh as that happens here too! Always the first card (a company starting with F? But I’m sure there are many others). Hope your husband is keeping well!
Maw that does sound a bit heartless and probably one to cross off next year’s list?

fourormore Sat 15-Dec-18 10:49:40

We had a good quality glossy Christmas card with four smiley faces on the front, delivered in a good quality white A5 size envelope, from our local councillors!
They wouldn't know me (nor me them!) if I walked into the room and what it cost to provide one for every letterbox in their ward goodness knows!
Sticks in the throat a bit when, for example, local public loos are being closed and other cuts are being made, due to lack of cash!
On the bright side the envelope it came in was blank so at least I have a free envelope to use!
Best bit? I didn't and wouldn't ever vote for any of them grin

janeainsworth Sat 15-Dec-18 11:10:09

We’ve had one from our MPshock
We’re not sure if he sends one to all his constituents or just the ones who regularly plague him with emails grin

lemongrove Sat 15-Dec-18 14:10:33

That was mean and thoughtless of them Maw but the good news is that you don’t ever need to contact them again, they are not friends quite obviously.

I enjoy sending and receiving cards at Christmas, they brighten the place up, so do send by post about 30 cards ( for once I counted them as needed stamps.)Hand deliver about 15.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Dec-18 14:42:14

Pensionpat do forgive me for laughing at your post. Typical isn't it as if you need to be reminded ?

Up to now I haven't had the same flurry of cards landing on the floor as in recent years. I fear that the " Beast from the East " took its toll. I know I lost 4 friends this last 12 months but others at distance I don't know. It scares me really.

I've still written the usual cards ( around 30 ) in the hope that they all remain in the land of the living. My living room door is usually covered by now in blue-tacked cards.

KatyK Sat 15-Dec-18 15:22:00

Sad that people are treating you this way. A friend of mine lost her DH about 10 years ago. He was only in his 50s. They were part of a cricket 'the in crowd' so to speak. After her DH died, most of them stopped contacting her altogether. She was hurt but said she now realises who true friends are.

Labaik Sat 15-Dec-18 17:55:26

Perhaps people are in touch on social media a lot of the time and there isn't the need to send a card to people you rarely see. Also the cost of postage is so high these days.