Gransnet forums

Bereavement

So unreal now

(77 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 28-Feb-19 10:39:23

My husband died 44 years ago today. We were married 8 years , I knew him for 10 years .

I feel as if he never existed, yet still love the man I knew 44 years ago. But he is young, I am not .

Daft ?

NannyEm Sun 03-Mar-19 00:06:39

So sad for you. sad

gmelon Sat 02-Mar-19 23:59:21

How tragic to lose a shared life with your husband.
There has been a lot of loss in your life Annie.
You must be very strong to be still standing.
Make sure you take justifiable time to sort through your current issues, it's hardly surprising that problems have arisen.
So sorry that you have lost so many people.
Wishing you many thoughts and prayers.

maddyone Sat 02-Mar-19 23:41:07

Thinking of you Annie flowers

Flowerofthewest Sat 02-Mar-19 22:25:33

My DH is still with me .. I adore him. He is 79 ...when I look through the photos on my phone I still get a jolt and butterflies when a particular photo of him pops up of when we had not long met. It gets me every time.

BlueSapphire Sat 02-Mar-19 21:32:57

So sorry Annie, let the memories live on in your heart, and in the hearts of those that love you.

Anniebach Sat 02-Mar-19 20:59:39

Thank you all x

There is no right or wrong way to grieve , some here hold memories of loved ones who died many years ago as my husband did. Some have recently faced the loss of a loved one. My elder daughter died 14 months ago, she was only 7 when her father died but she could remember him, younger daughter then 5 has no memory of him.
We lost two babies at birth so I do understand the losses some of you have spoken of.

A baby and we wonder how they would have grown into adulthood. An adult child who leaves children as my darling
Elder daughter did. A husband/partner we thought we would age with.

Grief is so painful , if we didn’t love and not been loved we would be spared this pain, but it’s the price we pay , never loved or been loved would, I think, be a very empty life.

Thank you all for your kindness , and those grieving I give you hugs x

Saggi Sat 02-Mar-19 20:55:45

Maw ...I lost a baby girl in ‘78 and twin baby girls in ‘79....and used to wonder constantly how they would be now. Then I stop myself ...because I only intended to have two kids and two years after these little girls died I gave birth to my beautiful boy who is now a beautiful kind man. If I’d kept those babies I would never have known him. That’s how I cope with the misery of those 24 months.

Theoddbird Sat 02-Mar-19 20:45:42

His soul is flying free xxx thanks

Barmeyoldbat Sat 02-Mar-19 19:47:20

What can I say but we are all with you and send hugs. I know its not the same but my ex husband died two weeks ago and I was still very very close to him and his family. My daughter and her half brother look so much like him, he lives on. Glad I divorced him but sad he died.

Lorelei Sat 02-Mar-19 18:55:04

Annie, you are far from daft - loving someone that much is special and if anything should be remembered, celebrated, cherished. Life can be cruel but love can endure. Your love has aged with you. flowers Thank you for sharing such a heartfelt memory with us smile

My nan & grandad were divorced. Nan had a lover for 40-50 odd years before he died after having Parkinson's Disease for a few years. Nan had dementia and I spent her last weeks by her side - she no longer knew who I was or mistook me for other people, but as I talked to her about friends, family, life, memories etc, the only thing she showed signs of recognition for was the name or mentions of this lover. Even in her confused, possibly tortured mind, her love endured and as painful as it was for me (I never liked him, but she loved him, and that's the important thing), I tried to talk about him, positively, as much as I could, hoping that if there was an afterlife they would both be young again and be PD-and-Dementia-free! I believe she believed she would see him again.

Ginny42 Sat 02-Mar-19 18:47:09

Remember his smile Annie and the memory will make you smile. How can it be daft to cherish a love like yours? Some people live a lifetime without ever loving someone so deeply. Hugs and warm wishes Annie. flowers

(Sorry it's belated. xx)

grandmac Sat 02-Mar-19 18:41:07

Our first baby was born 49 years ago today but died aged 11 months. My beloved husband died 14 years ago (it would be our Golden Wedding anniversary this week) so the only person left who remembers him is my sister. My youngest daughter always remembers his birthday and anniversary but obviously has no memories of him. To me he will always be that sweet little baby, I can’t imagine him a grown man. Sometimes I feel that he only existed because he has a grave which we visit frequently.
flowers for you Anniebach and all who grieving.

1inamillion Sat 02-Mar-19 18:10:37

Annie I have only just seen this and my heart goes out to you ?
My husband's Gran was a widow for over 40 years. She was a smashing lady but spoke little about him, he died when DH was 7.
I had a first cousin who took his own life at 34. I have no siblings and he was like a brother to me. I was pregnant with my son at the time and he looks so like him.
There are few left who knew him and nobody near me sadly.
Take care of yourself and sending you love and every good wish.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 02-Mar-19 17:27:16

Anniebach DH was with you for but a short time but lives on in his children and grandchildren and in those yet to be born.

seadragon Sat 02-Mar-19 17:07:45

I often think of this quote when thinking about my loved ones Anniebach:

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all" I truly believe that.
Alfred Lord Tennyson

Carole28 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:37:56

My son died at 32 and has two small children - aged 8 and 4 when he died. I wonder if his wife will feel the same as you do when she is older. I so want him to be remembered. Bereavement affects so many people who are left behind and I don't think people truly understand the impact until they are affected personally. I talk about him a lot with my mum (his grandma) but I dread the day she is not here to share my memories of him.

GreenGran78 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:16:22

It's lovely that you have such happy memories. Annie. Even though your DDs don't remember him, he will be alive to them through the stories you have told them.

I wish that I had more memories of my brother. He was four years older than me, and I played with my sister more than him. We went to different schools, and had different hobbies. He went to do his National Service from 18 - 21 and when he finished he got a job that took him away from home. At 22 he went on holiday with some friends, and was drowned in an accident.
I have always felt that I never really got to know him, and regret the chance to do so as we grew older.

TyneAngel Sat 02-Mar-19 16:08:24

Just caught up with this, and sending you the biggest, gentlest hug, Annie

dragonfly46 Sat 02-Mar-19 15:40:49

No Annie you are not daft at all.

farview Sat 02-Mar-19 15:30:19

Annie it's your special love story..God bless you xx?

Nanny41 Sat 02-Mar-19 14:42:36

Annie, you are certainly not daft. Sending hugs and flowers.

yellowcanary Sat 02-Mar-19 14:37:16

Thinking of you Anniebach - you are not daft, my husband passed away 22 years ago next month after nearly 11 years of marriage. No-one seems to remember the anniversary or his birthday/our anniversary unless I say anything which makes me sad sometimes, as if he never existed, not even his daughter (my stepdaughter).

sharon103 Sat 02-Mar-19 14:20:25

You've touched my heart Annie. Big hugs. flowers

Rosina Sat 02-Mar-19 13:58:26

It is said that we never truly die when we are remembered, and spoken of. Your dear Husband also has descendants , and although they can't remember him, he is part of them and his earthly life goes on in them. What a sad time for you - my warmest wishes Annie.

Nanabanana1 Sat 02-Mar-19 13:52:48

Annie ??