Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Query re: Funeral Poem

(31 Posts)
Riverdance Tue 14-May-19 23:25:13

Hello, just wondered if any member of the group are familiar with the poem ‘I am standing upon the seashore’ by Henry Van Dyke. My Mum has chosen this poem to be read at her Brother’s funeral in a few days time however, the Minister has said the words ‘she’ need to be replaced with ‘he’. I’m not sure if this is correct as the poem is about a ship and ships are referred to as ‘she’. Can anyone advise me please.

chrissyh Thu 16-May-19 14:44:26

Should stay with she. From the first line it is obviously about the ship which is aways referred to as she.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 16-May-19 16:10:23

What we all seem to have overlooked is to offer you and your mum our condolences.

Tedber Thu 16-May-19 16:18:11

I read a very similar one out at my friend's funeral but it was attributed to a Bishop Brent (apparently the first missionary of the Phillipines?)

Now got me wondering...who has royalties? smile

Anyway a lovely lovely choice Riverdance and agree the Minister either hasn't read it or doesn't understand it. My sincere condolences to you and your family in your loss.

Aepgirl Thu 16-May-19 16:28:01

I read this poem at the funeral of my friend’s husband. It is definitely about a ship and must not be change to ‘he’.

Riverdance Sun 19-May-19 13:49:50

Hello again,
Thank you for your condolences.
Lynnieg, I’m pleased the poem helped to give some comfort to your friend at such a sad time.
My Uncle’s had a lovely send off on Friday. I feel blessed to have had him for my Uncle, he was dearly loved.. My Uncle was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease at the age of 50 and fought the disease with great courage until his passing at the age of 77.
Thank you again to everyone who replied to my post.