Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Dreamt about my husband for the first time in four years

(18 Posts)
Grammaretto Sun 08-Mar-20 10:43:45

Shandy57

The dream sounds lovely. You must know you are not alone.

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
A.L. Tennyson.

bikergran Sun 08-Mar-20 10:13:48

to all of you that have these most vivid dreams...let us hope they are a sign and brings some comfort . flowers

bikergran Sun 08-Mar-20 10:11:06

In the last almost 6 years I have had very strong dreams about my late dh, so strong that on few occasions(normally when in bed )I feel that I am awake and I know he is led next to me and that I mustn't open my eyes as he will be gone, of course we do open our eyes then the dream brings you back to reality!

glamma flowers smile

Shandy57 Sun 08-Mar-20 10:04:58

Thank you all for your kind words and sharing your own experiences. My greatest sympathies to you Netty, I hope you have supportive family and friends around you.

I cried on and off all day, and do hope it was a happy flight for him, perhaps it was a sign that our house will sell, and he is happy for me to move on. My house is in auction on 25 March and I am terribly anxious about it.

I've just remembered I had a disturbing dream two days before he died where I was lost, I was in a strange country lane, at a bus stop, I had no idea where I was. I remember telling him about it and he made me pancakes as a treat.

My husband died suddenly of a heart attack whilst mowing the lawn at the front of our house, I returned from a beach walk with our dog to find a man just standing beside him. I've still not come to terms with it, I still wonder if I'd been here if I'd have been able to do CPR and save him.

Thank you again smile

bumblebee34 Sat 07-Mar-20 14:31:28

My one and only dream I have ever had about my wonderful husband was about six months after he died (eleven years ago now.) It was so real and vivid and bizarre, but I was convinced it had somehow actually happened.
I was in bed next to his dead body ( which seemed perfectly normal at the time) and was gazing at him so bereft he was still dead when suddenly his eyes opened and he smiled, it was as if he had just been in a very long sleep. Of course I was overjoyed and was running round the bedroom in excitement and alternately hugging and kissing him, telling him all he had missed since his ‘death’.
In my dream I went down and made him a cup of tea and we were sitting in bed drinking it and he said “wait till we tell the transplant team at Papworth, won’ t they be surprised (he had received a double lung transplant there two years before) we then drifted off to sleep gazing at each other.
When I finally woke up I was absolutely convinced when I turned over he would still be there............of course he wasn’t and I was totally devastated.........all over again. It affected me deeply for a while but it was somehow wonderful as well as devastating and I remember every second of it even to this day. This probably sounds so bizarre but it was so real I was convinced it had actually happened!

nanaK54 Sat 07-Mar-20 13:32:51

flowers and kind thoughts to all who could use them

SueDonim Sat 07-Mar-20 13:07:29

This thread has brought a tear to my eye. flowers

I know it’s not the same as losing a spouse but in recent years I’ve dreamt a few times about my dad who died over twenty years ago. In one, he said he’d decided to come back to us because he didn’t like being dead, it was very boring! I woke up chuckling and had a lovely warm feeling around me.

Namsnanny Sat 07-Mar-20 12:33:20

Wishing you all peace and a measure of happiness flowers

glammanana Sat 07-Mar-20 11:20:34

As you all know I recently lost my wonderful husband and I can feel his presence here most days,I have even heard him call my name and asking if I am ready for a drink yet.
I can visualise him in the garden with the dog as though he is still here and it brings such comfort,your husband waving to you is his way of telling you he is fine and keeping watch over you and is sending you strength to start the next chapter in your life.xx sending ((hugs))

Calendargirl Sat 07-Mar-20 11:09:53

Shandy57

Oh, try not to be sad. Your dream sounded as if your husband is happy and in good company. Try and see it as a comfort, easier said than done I’m sure.

H1954 Sat 07-Mar-20 10:30:36

I "sensed a presence" some months after my Mum died. I was in my kitchen batch cooking when, suddenly, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was more of a shadow than having form. In an instant it moved behind me and to my left and disappeared as quickly as it came. I did not feel threatened or afraid, just a gentle, assuring calmness.

I also regularly see a Robin in my garden, even when I'm out there pottering around it will come and perch close by. My OH says it's my Dad checking up that I'm doing the gardening properly.

lavenderzen Sat 07-Mar-20 10:26:59

For all of you who have suffered loss. Your dreams are your way of keeping your loved ones close. flowers

millymouge Sat 07-Mar-20 10:20:33

I had a dream about my eldest sister who I was very close to a few years ago. She would have been dead about 18 years by then. She was standing in the hallway of the flat where they used to live wearing clothes that I recognised. She spoke to me and asked why I hadn’t been to see her recently, and said she missed me going. I can remember not knowing what to reply, I felt it would have been wrong to tell her she had died. It had quite a profound effect on me this dream and it is still so very clear to me and I do think about it. Why I had it after all those years I will never know.

timetogo2016 Sat 07-Mar-20 10:16:24

Well I think you ladies have had a heavenly visit.
How lovely.

Chestnut Sat 07-Mar-20 10:14:56

I do wish we could have some control over our dreams, then we could spend time with our loved ones, walking through beautiful meadows on a summers day. I hope you get one like that! Most frustrating is when you are trying to reach something or someone but can't quite manage it. I often wake up just when I'm getting close.

Netty47 Sat 07-Mar-20 10:10:08

My DH was taken into hospital 26th January and passed away on 27th I am heartbroken and am yet to find him in my dreams although yesterday I was standing at his desk where
he sat looking out window facing garden and a white dove
hovered for several seconds looking in at me , I was filled with joy. I’ll keep waiting for him in my dreams , your hugs are returned Shandy57 .

Greymar Sat 07-Mar-20 10:04:51

Hello Shandy, it's the strangest feeling isn't it? Sometimes the clarity of the dream is so odd. It sounds a lovely image though, him flying high and waving.

Shandy57 Sat 07-Mar-20 09:57:44

Morning all, I've just woken up from a loss dream about my husband. I was in a big hotel and kept going places to find him without success - then I was in a big field and he flew by in an open plane, full of seats with other people. He was smiling and waving at me, I saw him as clear as day. It's the first time I've dreamt about him and I feel so sad today, the 'if onlys' are huge. Hugs to everyone else suffering today.