Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Weird experience today

(71 Posts)
Esspee Mon 08-Feb-21 15:04:02

A friend Isobel died recently and her funeral was today. Three of us used to work together and had kept in touch, meeting up a couple of times a year.

We tended to meet up at a central location. Isobel always had her husband drop her off as she was very bad at directions and a nervous driver. I always picked up the other friend as she doesn’t have access to a car and I am a very confident driver.

Today I left home to pick up the friend without a car to go to the funeral. I was listening to a discussion on the radio and completely missed the turnoff I should have taken. I was left with no alternative but to cross the river, take the first turnoff, circle round the block, recross the river, before circling back to take the correct road.

In explaining my detour we both realised at the same time that this was the sort of thing Isobel might have done and that I had in fact done a tight circuit round our old place of work.
Can’t help but wonder if that was Isobel having a laugh with us?

Vickicop Tue 09-Feb-21 11:47:36

My late father in law always had a fine show of African Violets on his window ledge and often gave me a plant. These always stayed healthy but never flowered in all those years. When he passed away we returned after the funeral and all five plants were in full flower and have been ever since. That was 25 years ago.

TrendyNannie6 Tue 09-Feb-21 11:49:21

Riggie, very harsh, no need

recklessgran Tue 09-Feb-21 11:53:52

My darling Granny had recently died and I later went to collect her ashes from the funeral directors ahead of her internment in my Grandad's grave. When I came out with the box I wasn't sure where to put her - not wanting to shut her in the boot I placed the box on the front passenger seat. Feeling a bit teary I sat there for a short while chatting to Granny in the box. Eventually I turned the key and set off home. The radio was playing a song I'd never heard before. It was called " Holes in the floor of heaven"
www.google.com/search?q=song+lyrics+holes+in+the+floor+of+heaven&oq=LYRICS+HOLES+IN+THE+FLOOR+OF+HEAVEN&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30l4.18782j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
To this day I'm sure this was a message to me from my beloved Granny. It was so comforting.
As an amusing aside, when I got home I was again faced with the dilemma of where to put Granny. I placed the box in the centre of the dining table whilst I thought where would be best to keep her whilst we waited for the service to happen.. My youngest DD who was 6 at the time asked what was in the box. I replied " Don't worry darling - it's "Old Granny" [my children's name for Granny]. She replied "Old Granny? How did she fit in there?"
Really lightened a very sad time!

Mapleleaf Tue 09-Feb-21 11:56:19

A few years ago, I attended the funeral of a friend. When we got to the crematorium, a cat appeared that was the exact colouring of one my friend had. It stopped by the hearse and then sauntered away. A coincidence, I know, but it was comforting.

Pennylucky007 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:14:05

I was walking my dog in the park one day, thinking about my shopping list and what to cook for dinner. All of a sudden, the face of my mother appeared in my head out of the blue. She had died 3 years earlier and I was surprised to suddenly have her image when I was thinking of something as mundane as shopping and dinner. I put my hand in my pocket and realised my driving licence had fallen out (I was due to collect a parcel and needed ID.) I started to panic as it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack in the park. I turned to retrace my steps, and lo and behold the driving licence was just 4 steps away! I looked upwards and said "thanks mum". The saying goes that when a loved one pops into your head out of the blue, it is to give assistance or advice - it worked for me that day.

poshpaws Tue 09-Feb-21 12:29:39

When my lovely Mum died in 2006 my son & husband and I were getting a bit panicked as we had lost our way to the Crematorium. Just as I was about to burst into tears (yet again!) I spotted the hearse with Mum's coffin & flowers sitting at traffic lights on the other side of the road - we quickly turned, and followed her all the way. I've had many other so-called "paranormal" or spiritual experiences throughout my life , so I truly believe that was Mum coming to help us as she always did.

Tanjamaltija Tue 09-Feb-21 12:35:06

Of course it was Isobel. The people we love find ways to tell us they love us back, even when they are gone - have you never smelled a whiff of Imperial Leather soap, or seen a flash of lilac or taupe in your peripheral vision? Have you never thought of someone, and a mutual friend calls to reminisce about her?

Jacqui62 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:59:56

I had a very strange experience 3 years ago, my brother had died very suddenly and unexpected at the age of 49 and on his birthday too,.his partner and I went to see him at the chapel of rest to say our final goodbyes, when I went home and later in the evening when I went to bed ( I live on my own) I was woken up literally by someone, something pulling my foot which was sticking out the bed, it actually woke me up, obviously nothing was there to visually see, but it's the kind of silly things my brother used to do when we were children, I have no logical explanation

Sawsage2 Tue 09-Feb-21 13:46:25

I would read the poem 'Death is nothing at all' by Henry Scott- Holland'. It has brought me comfort when my mum and brother died.

IslandGranny Tue 09-Feb-21 13:54:12

The hand on the shoulder bringing comfort story reminded me that my late husband always stood behind me with his hand on my left shoulder. After he died I felt the warmth there for a long time, it has faded now sadly . Thanks for a lovely post.
When my mother died we arrived at the church and my husband asked ‘ where is she?’my cousin was the funeral director and he had suggested a wicker coffin with flowers draped over it so she looked like a flower arrangement. Family and friends commented on how beautiful it was and of course Mum’s love of flowers ?

phantom12 Tue 09-Feb-21 14:42:54

A few days after my dad died I had gone to bed before my husband and lay there half awake. I suddenly felt as if someone kissed me on the lips and sat up expecting that my husband had got into bed without me noticing. I was on my own and my husband was still downstairs. I always like to think that my dad had come to say goodbye to me. It seemed so real.

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Tue 09-Feb-21 14:46:52

Riggie

*I was listening to a discussion on the radio and completely missed the turnoff I should have taken*

You were not paying sufficient attention to where you were going. I suggest you leave the radio off and concentrate on driving safely.

Wow. I hope saying that made you feel better about yourself.

SylviaPlathssister Tue 09-Feb-21 14:48:22

Well my experience wasn’t supernatural, but gave me the shivers. A friend killed herself. Her husband had an affair and she was tortured for months before she did it.
I was supportive and so were her in laws and Mother, she would have survived. However, the Wednesday before she did it, we decided that she would get me to take some photos, with the idea that she might use them in the future to move on via a dating site. She was trying to cheer herself up.
I forgot about them. The funerals came and went and the photos stayed in my camera for months. Eventually I put the film ( it was 1988) into the chemist, collected the prints and shuffled through them to see my beloved friend staring right at me. It felt like a smack. Oooh horrendous.
I will never ever forget her or her dear children, who she took with her. Very sad.

Thisismyname1953 Tue 09-Feb-21 14:55:01

I did exactly the same thing yesterday. Took my DGD home to Wales . On the way home took the wrong turning from a roundabout and ended up on Anglesey. I had to come off at the first turning then do two right turns to get back onto the correct road . Maybe it was family on the island wanting a visit from me smile

Dinahmo Tue 09-Feb-21 14:56:50

My dad died in hospital and afterwards my OH and I took my mum back to her home. We were sitting in the kitchen when my OH heard my dad sigh in a very distinctive way that had.

After visiting his wife in hospital, my friend returned home. As he opened the door their 2 cats starting wailing and then telephone rang. It was the hospital telling him that his wife had just died.

It's almost as though people leave a little imprint behind for a short time.

Damdee Tue 09-Feb-21 15:13:03

I agree with some things are meant to be. Driving home from my mother's funeral, and feeling sad, I turned on the radio and they were playing Brahms Lullaby which is what I had picked to be played at the crem. Later as I drove on, I could smell flowers so strong that in the end I had to stop the car and look in the back seat because I thought maybe I had brought some flowers back with me - though I knew I hadn't. There were no flowers, just the smell. I knew my mother was with me in spirit.

Kryptonite Tue 09-Feb-21 15:24:26

I think your friend had a hand in this. How lovely. I'm sure her family would love to hear about this too, I know I would.

NannaJanie Tue 09-Feb-21 16:01:48

my friend used to live with her husband in an apartment and the apartment beneath them housed a lovely lady. When my friend had parties, this lady was always there and had a fabulous time mixing with what she called "you beautiful young people". Years later when she died, she bequeathed them an old French clock which they took to their new home. It hadn't worked in a very long time, but looked attractive, so was on show. When invited to dinner one evening, we started reminiscing about the lovely old lady and the clock suddenly starting working, ticking away for a few minutes, then stopping once more. As it never worked again we believe she was just joining in with the happy memories.

Sonatina7 Tue 09-Feb-21 16:05:47

My beautiful best friend and soul mate Linda died.
One day I sat on my bed and told her how much I missed her and that I knew she would always be with me but would love a sign. We were very big on signs!
In the morning I found an old birthday card she had sent me laying in the middle of my carpet. No earthy idea how it got there. But then it wasn't earthy was it!!
There is no death, in fact I'm sure they are more alive than us! We are all spiritual beings and love is an eternal bond that can never be broken.

Jaxie Tue 09-Feb-21 16:17:43

Riggie, unkind girl; have you never driven somewhere, arrived safely, but with no memory of the driving experience? I’ve discussed this with others and it’s a quite common occurrence. Try not to get off on feeling superior to others.

Esspee Tue 09-Feb-21 16:41:26

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I have decided not to tell her family now but perhaps in the future when they will be more able to see the funny side.
Riggie. You made me smile. I am an excellent driver who simply missed a turnoff. You however missed the point that we felt that Isobel had somehow caused me to drive round our old workplace the link between the three of us.

Alioop Tue 09-Feb-21 17:40:38

I'm sure your friend Isobel was having a good laugh at you both sailing along in the car. It's comforting things like that that make you smile even though you are sad. A little robin redbreast comes every morning to my garden and I think of my mum and my friend bought me a glass Xmas bauble a couple of years back with a little robin inside it.

Violettham Tue 09-Feb-21 18:11:47

Riggie I thought that very unkind no need

deefletch Tue 09-Feb-21 18:34:19

This reminds me of something my own sister would say! She would say 'just telling it as it is'. She is right in her mind, to tell you that you were wrong!!! I couldnt help but smile when i read your rebuke!

nexus63 Tue 09-Feb-21 18:39:21

years ago i stayed in a little bedsit with no house phone, i woke about 5am and saw my gran at the bottom of the bed, something i had often seen as i more or less grew up in her house, i thought this is not possible as she was in hospital with a stroke, my father in law came round about 10am asking me to phone my mum, i said it's okay, i know gran died this morning, her time of death was 5.02am, i felt the same when my husband died, i was only 39 and so angry that he died because a doctor made a mistake, i was standing at the crematorium, a small breeze blew by me and i could smell old spice aftershave......there was no one else there and it was all he ever wore, it has happened a couple of times over the 18 years, last time i was in the hospital have a cancerous tumor removed, it always makes me feel better.