Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Not sure what to do

(56 Posts)
M0nica Wed 31-Mar-21 20:05:15

I agree with the others. Do not take on the financial responsibility, but perhaps attend the funeral if you can as a way of drawing a line under your very tenuous relationship with your father.

Tangerine Wed 31-Mar-21 19:37:03

I agree with the above posters. Let the Council organise it.

I daresay you can attend if you wish to do so. I certainly don't think you should take financial responsibility for the funeral.

vampirequeen Wed 31-Mar-21 19:33:39

Let the council do the funeral. It will be done with respect just as for anyone else. Why take on the financial responsibility for someone you didn't know?

Smileless2012 Wed 31-Mar-21 12:54:51

Could you ask the local council to make the arrangements and attend the funeral?

Whiff Wed 31-Mar-21 12:50:06

Is your mom still alive? If so talk to her.

NannieN Wed 31-Mar-21 12:35:49

Not really bereaved but unsure where else to put this post.
I have just been contacted by an estate finding company to locate next of kin for a gentleman who passed away in a care home. It turns out this person is my father and I'm his next of kin. My mum and dad seperated when I was one and my mum and I moved away to another town. The only other time I have seen him was when he signed papers to change my surname as mum had got married again. I wasn't told he was my father until after he had left. Over the years have thought about finding but as I got older and had children of my own I couldn't cope with
the thought he might not want to know them. So never did anything about it. Now I have been advised he has passed away in a care home and the local council are awaiting funeral instructions from the next of kin. They are all set to do the funeral themselves or I can make my own arrangements. Which is my dilemma. In all intents and purposes this gentleman is a stranger to me. I wouldn't know what to arrange for him. I also think nobody deserves to not have a funeral with nobody there. What would you do in these circumstances xx