Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Una Stubbs has died at 84

(64 Posts)
NanKate Thu 12-Aug-21 15:38:52

Do you remember her with Cliff Richard in Summer Holiday and recently in Sherlock?

RIP ?

Shropshirelass Sat 14-Aug-21 09:05:17

She has had a wonderful career, my first recollection was with Alf Garnett. Wonderful actress.

Amalegra Sat 14-Aug-21 00:18:31

I have always loved Una Stubbs. ‘Summer Holiday’ was one of the first films I saw as a child and became woven into the fabric of my childhood. I have always been delighted to see her performances and loved her particularly as Aunt Sally to Jon Pertwee’s wonderful Worzel Gummidge. I hope she is continuing to wow them in Heaven! Thank you, Una.

Summerfly Sat 14-Aug-21 00:03:22

RIP lovely Una ?

madeleine45 Fri 13-Aug-21 22:21:01

liked her in many things but loved her as Aunt Sally with Jon Pertwee as Worzel. I particularly enjoyed how well she played rather greedy and horrid aunt sally grabbing most of the cake for herself etc. Power to the woman!!

Treetops05 Fri 13-Aug-21 21:28:24

Sadly, we are in the era of stars of our youth gradually fading to the firmament - they shine in the galaxy, shine on our stars x

Sandycat Fri 13-Aug-21 19:11:05

Remember her in Give us a Clue with Lionel Blair, she was always such good fun - RIP

GeorgyGirl Fri 13-Aug-21 18:24:09

Bless her soul, Una was such a lovely lady and a brilliant actress, I mainly remember her with Cliff Richard and also Til Death Do Us Part and more recently on the Art programme. Rest In Peace Dear Una.

Kate1949 Fri 13-Aug-21 17:40:56

I believe she had paintings exhibited at The Royal Academy.

Rosina Fri 13-Aug-21 17:17:38

She seemed a lovely person - bright, talented, energetic and funny. I liked her - she came across as someone whose company you would enjoy.

NotTooOld Fri 13-Aug-21 16:54:09

Sad. Lovely lady. I believe she was a trained ballet dancer.

Aveline Fri 13-Aug-21 16:48:47

That's what I remember her for. She was so nice and encouraging and friendly.
Lachlan Goudie posted a painting she'd done of him. It was very good, very ' her' somehow. He said it was his wife's favourite portrait of him.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Aug-21 16:20:46

I too loved her in her role in the Sky Arts artist programmes. She clearly knew what she was talking about and was gentle and encouraging to the contestants.

BBbevan Fri 13-Aug-21 16:14:58

I think she did either ‘Portrait artist of the year’ or ‘ Landscape artist’. She was very gentle and insightful .

MissAdventure Fri 13-Aug-21 15:48:39

She did always seem to be a lovely person.
Really down to earth, and fun.

Anniel Fri 13-Aug-21 15:44:40

Thanks for the YouTube video! See Anthony Booth, Cherie Blair’s dad was in it. Brought back memories of our past. I loved Una Stubbs! So many of my age dying off!

Granartisan Fri 13-Aug-21 14:34:03

RIP Una x

travelsafar Fri 13-Aug-21 13:25:09

I remember watching her in Who Do You Think You Are
she came across as such a lovely person. She also had links to the two Garden Cities in Hertfordshire, one of which i live in so that made it more interesting fof me.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 13-Aug-21 13:19:39

Lovely actress. Talented artist too.

albertina Fri 13-Aug-21 13:14:14

She did the programme "Who do you think you are" and researched her ancestors. I remember her using an expression about money as one of her ancestors struggled with it. She said that the family wanted "the peace that comes from a settled method of living" and that really hit home with me.

She came across always as, kind, modest and genuinely interested in other people and not at all full of herself at all.

Knopflerfan Fri 13-Aug-21 13:08:03

As so many have said, sad news and a lovely lady. "Summer Holiday" with Una and Cliff was the first time I went to the cinema with my first boyfriend. I was 16, and Dad insisted I
had to be home by 10.30pm which meant we missed the end. And the end of every other film after that .... I caught up with them on TV eventually, but it was very frustrating!

annsixty Fri 13-Aug-21 13:02:26

So sad to read and as I am her age very sobering too.

annifrance Fri 13-Aug-21 12:58:45

Loved her in Alf Garnet. I saw her as Miss Haversham in Great Expectations. It as a great production in the round at Manchester Exchange. She was brilliant in this cameo role.

Callistemon Fri 13-Aug-21 12:48:45

I did go to the cinema with a friend to see Summer Holiday in my teens.

We both rather liked Cliff in those days - he was more of a rocker then.

Alioop Fri 13-Aug-21 12:33:38

She was part of my childhood as Aunt Sally in Worzel Gummidge and then in Sherlock. Lovely lady who will be missed flowers

LiliWenFach44 Fri 13-Aug-21 12:30:53

Lovely ? lady… very talented, and I last saw her in The Great Painting Challenge. So gentle and kind. A very accomplished painter as well. RIP Una. ?