Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Aftermath of everything

(15 Posts)
Gwiz5 Wed 16-Mar-22 08:01:58

It’s been 3 months since my step dad passed away. My mum has bad days and better days. I am dealing with it all, the legalities, calls , emails ,forms ,appointments .
I am not an only child , however my older brother lives on the other side of the world and is unconcerned with any of this, has not called mum or me or offered help or even a supportive message.. annoying but not a surprise as this is his way.
But his own children , one estranged for many years and a daughter who was only in it for what was on offer also were not getting involved . Nothing , no input no offer to help arrange anything.
My mum had opened up about their marriage, it was not fulfilling or happy but they stuck together out of fear and making the best of it. I have heard a lot of things recently that have made me sad and angry for her. Things that made it difficult to be the one in charge of a funeral for a man I was now not even sure I knew. Turned out he was controlling and manipulative and was the reason they moved so far away so he didn’t have to share mum with her family. Imagine that , learning these things whilst planning the funeral of a man you thought kindly of only to have that information given in grief.
I did of course do the right thing , begged my wider family of cousins to attend the funeral as otherwise there would have been 6 of us , wrote a eulogy , gave it , organised the tea after the funeral and all the time fuming and feeling anger at him.
And I am still angry , at my mum for putting up with it for 35 years , for myself not noticing or challenging it, for the life she should have had.
I’m feeling overwhelmed and it’s like I am now solely responsible for giving my
Mum a few years of happiness and her best life to make up for it.
I’m encouraging her to break his way of not having friends , getting her out with me as often as possible , telling her she should have what she wants because she can now, making her understand that the guilt she feels isn’t bad she needs adjust and live for her now. It’s hard work undoing his influence. His negative traits have been made deep in her and I am determined to give her the help she needs but I am so tired already . Working full time in a stressful job means I am trying to cram it all in.
Does anyone have any helpful advice to help me through this.

silverlining48 Wed 16-Mar-22 08:35:22

You will be shocked not only because of your step dads death but by what you have learned about the marriage.
You have been supporting your mum by helping and encouraging her but her happiness is not your responsibility.
You were not aware of what was going on in the marriage, she gave no indication so just do what you are doing. Coercive control does damage confidence and self worth, be patient and give her your support and your love.

BlueBelle Wed 16-Mar-22 08:36:00

First and foremost a great daughter well done… secondly don’t take over as mums full time entertainer unless she’s very old and ill she needs to find her own levels of excitement, yes take her out once or twice a week by all means, introduce her to some groups or ‘things’, but after that don’t feel you have to babysit her, that would be bad for you and bad for her, encourage, but don’t be her be all that would be the worst for both of you
As for your step dad it was mums choice to stay and whatever tales she is telling now she chose not to tell then You knew him as a decent person and that is all you can judge by we all play a part in these bad marriages (and you’re talking to a master of them here) A bad marriage takes two to make it bad even if most of it is coming from one person Rememberf him as you knew him and whilst trying to help mum it is not your responsibility nor can you ever make mum ‘live the best life’ she has to find her own best life
So whilst helping and supporting please let her find her own levels, her own friends, her own things to do with of course your support and encouragement

JaneJudge Wed 16-Mar-22 08:41:18

I think BlueBelle is very wise. I also think you need still view your relationship with him as your relationship with him. We aren't all things to all people, we have different relationships with different people. Have you got anyone to talk to about all of this? flowers

Allyoops Wed 16-Mar-22 08:48:54

What a hard time you've had and what a wonderful daughter you are. Some good advice above. Maybe now is the time to look forward, take a deep breath and give yourself a break. The past can't be changed and you did what you felt was right at the time. You can make a more positive future and it sounds like you and your Mum will share some happy times together.

Shandy57 Wed 16-Mar-22 21:45:33

I felt numb for a long time when my husband died. The fear of having to handle everything myself was immense, your Mum is very lucky to have you.

Lollipoplove Fri 18-Mar-22 22:24:32

My Stepmum died last week after 6mths of pancreatic cancer. Every week sent her a thoughtful gift some £10 some £200 just to let her know how special she was to me.
Her partner slowly started to back away even though I said you will always be welcome in our family ( my Stepmum was like my mum)
My Stepmum said she wanted to give me some money I said no I’m ok. She said. I’m wealthy I want to do this for you please let me do this. Well the week she was going to do this she had a bad fall in the bath
I spoke to her partner & said I presumed she has been assessed for what she needed even though she would have to pay for it her herself. Her partner said yes we are doing it next week. The week before she died !!!!! I was not happy
To cut a long story short I mentioned what my Stepmum wanted to give me. I was told there is no money it’s all in her will & will come out to me after she dies.
I was told I was disgusting to talk about money. I explained that was what she wanted. I sent her texts messages to prove this.
AIBU????
I want to send a sympathy card but I don’t know what to say I’m hurting grieving & upset
What would you do?

MissAdventure Fri 18-Mar-22 23:01:18

I do think it's insensitive to be asking about money a week after her death.
Surely you can wait a bit longer?

MawtheMerrier Fri 18-Mar-22 23:23:45

Every week sent her a thoughtful gift some £10 some £200 just to let her know how special she was to me
Her partner slowly started to back away even though I said you will always be welcome in our family ( my Stepmum was like my mum)
My Stepmum said she wanted to give me some money I said no I’m ok. She said. I’m wealthy I want to do this for you please let me do this. Well the week she was going to do this she had a bad fall in the bath
Etc.

There’s too much emphasis on money for my taste.
In your earlier thread Lollipoplove I remember you said you were in need of money, but now you say you have been sending £10-200” to let her know she is special.”
Money? Really?
Why not flowers or a thoughtful gift?
Yes, it is in poor taste to approach her partner and talk about money.
If you have been left anything in her will, you will hear once probate has been granted.
In the meantime what is preventing you sending a sympathy card?

Hithere Sat 19-Mar-22 01:24:31

OP

Please repeat with me - I am not responsible for my mother's choices or feelings.

It is not your job to make her happy or make it up to her for her bad marriage

welbeck Sat 19-Mar-22 01:56:33

that may be true, but it's natural to want to see those whom we love being as happy and relaxed as possible.
we want them to have the best life they can, esp if they are older, or have been struggling previously. that's what love is.
i think OP might benefit from some counselling for herself.
if you find the right person it could be cathartic.
don't bother to continue if you feel it's not the right person for you.
i think your mother is lucky to have you OP.
i wish you, and her, well.

MawtheMerrier Sat 19-Mar-22 11:50:08

Lollipoplove

My Stepmum died last week after 6mths of pancreatic cancer. Every week sent her a thoughtful gift some £10 some £200 just to let her know how special she was to me.
I spoke to her partner & said I presumed she has been assessed for what she needed even though she would have to pay for it her herself. Her partner said yes we are doing it next week. The week before she died !!!!! I was not happy
To cut a long story short I mentioned what my Stepmum wanted to give me. I was told there is no money it’s all in her will & will come out to me after she dies.
I was told I was disgusting to talk about money. I explained that was what she wanted. I sent her texts messages to prove this.
AIBU????
I want to send a sympathy card but I don’t know what to say I’m hurting grieving & upset
What would you do?

www.gransnet.com/forums/ask_a_gran/1307412-AIBU-DIEINGeq

I would like to suggest if I may Lollipoplove that your post would be better on the above thread which you started quite recently instead of hijacking’s OP’s thread.

Lollipoplove Sat 19-Mar-22 17:14:22

I sents gifts re the amounts from £10 to £200 for her to see a show she’s always wanted to see & named a star & a flower after her & bouquets of flowers heated blanket guardian angle necklace I could go on & on I did it because she always loved receiving presents. I have sent a card

Lollipoplove Sat 19-Mar-22 17:15:28

I’m so sorry I didn’t realise I did that. I really do apologise xx

silverlining48 Sat 19-Mar-22 17:28:21

Don’t worry lollipop, really it’s easily done. I am sorry about your step mum.