Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books your grandchildren love

(122 Posts)
babyjack Sat 14-May-11 14:44:32

My grandson 3 years, loves " were going on a bear hunt", do others have any favourite books they can recommend.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 28-Sep-12 12:07:09

A pleasure Bags. Do keep your eyes peeled for more great giveaways too!

glassortwo Fri 28-Sep-12 12:29:55

I received a copy of Highway Rat this morning thank you very much, looking forward to bedtime story time.

Butternut Fri 28-Sep-12 13:23:35

CariGransnet Is there any way you can post to France? I know when I made a previous request it wasn't possible. So many good books - but it's such a pity that the 'giveaways' are not an option for all Gransnetters. sad
Do you have the same policy for your competitions, too?

Mamie Fri 28-Sep-12 14:05:25

Seconded. I did "win" Rachel Khoo's cookbook, but it never came. I am sure most of us could provide a UK address if postage is the problem.

Grandpat Wed 10-Oct-12 15:48:34

There's a great little beautifully illustrated book on Amazon entitled Olly Meets a Shark that my grandchildren really loved. Very suitable for 3-6 year olds.

FlicketyB Wed 10-Oct-12 22:15:50

DD enjoyed the 'Frances' books by Russell Hoban, and so did her parents, Recently I read one to my 5 year old GD and she also loved it and I have had to search up everyone I can lay my hands on because she asks for them everytime she visits.

DGS, aged 2 1/4 loves the Gruffalo and anything that includes monsters, dinosaurs or insects, especially slugs, but that probably needs to be on another thread.

Deedaa Fri 19-Oct-12 17:04:22

Lovely to see that children are still enjoying the books I read to my children and even the ones that I used to enjoy myself. It's surprising what children do enjoy sometimes. As a teenager my son was deeply into horror yet we both loved The Children of Green Knowe after seeing it on TV, and after seeing the film, he read and enjoyed Little Women! My daughter on the other hand didn't read anything for years and wrote an essay on The Elephant & The Bad Baby for A Level as the book that had meant most to her. One of the set books was Jude The Obscure which she never read at all (understandably I think wink and she still ended up with an A. Possibly says more about the exam system than it does about her?

annodomini Fri 19-Oct-12 17:18:28

My DSs and GC have all enjoyed The Elephant and the Bad Baby and now it's a big favourite with my great nieces in New Zealand.

grannieannie41 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:59:03

my grandson loves this too

grannieannie41 Thu 21-Feb-13 14:59:32

my grandson loves this too

Lilygran Thu 21-Feb-13 18:17:26

My cat likes to hide in boxes by Eve Sutton. Richard Scarry books (can you still get them?) - so much to look at on every page. Lester and the unusual pet, Quentin Blake. And many of those above.

gillybob Thu 21-Feb-13 22:54:23

My grandchildren ( 7,5,3 ) all love * The pirates next door* by Jonny Duddle . It is thoroughly exciting and funny at the same time with lovely pictures. I would highly recommend it ! smile

Luxormary Fri 26-Apr-13 01:50:08

Wow! I also have my aged, but good condition copy of Ferdinand the Bull and never expected anyone else to have one!
I didn't realise it was to do with the Spanish civil war and now it all makes sense to me. Thank you for enlightening me after all these years.

broomsticks Tue 07-May-13 09:57:14

My grandson is almost five and reading really well. It's hard to find books that he likes now as he has outgrown his old favourites. He's heavily into Star Wars but likes Dick King Smith as well to have read to him. Any ideas of books we can read to him?

junesmith11 Wed 26-Jun-13 23:06:53

my little grand daughter Grace loves 'Santa needs a wee' and 'The big Secret' by Enid Bliyton

dirgni Sat 20-Jul-13 16:58:06

Can anyone recommend a holiday read for my 10year old granddaughter ?

whenim64 Sat 20-Jul-13 17:05:54

My grandson loved the Mr Gum collection of books, and a 12 year old I know is reading them at the moment. They're suitable fom 7 or 8, but the older the child, the more they get the anarchy and play on words. Great fun!

www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&productId=246976

pamelaJEAN Sat 27-Jul-13 08:09:55

I have just received The Royal Nappie book, EEEEEEEEK .... my grandaughter loved it.... repeating the poem about the poo nappie over and over...telling her friends ... singing it around the house... funny how kids like anything a bit rude...She now knows the story and poem off by heart. Thank you Gransnet.

gingin Mon 29-Jul-13 07:36:12

My 6 grandchildren all love the Horrible Histories books and DVDs. They've learnt so much from them and I absolutely love them too - an added bonus

pamjoy Mon 29-Jul-13 23:11:43

Anything by Julia Donaldson is sure to please. Last weekend we took our 3 and 5 year old grandchildren to the "Squash and a Squeeze" exhibition at Birmingham museum. All of her books were featured in individual zones with lots of related activities (eg. dressing up, Gruffalo shadows, crawling into Cave Baby's cave, moving animals into the old lady's cottage - room for us as well!) There is plenty to keep adults interested too. We thought that the £20 family ticket was good value and recommend the experience.

pamelaJEAN Tue 13-Aug-13 12:51:25

I have five grankids aged 16 to 5 years old, and they all love "GUESS HOW MUCH I LOVE YOU"..... even the 16 year old grandaughter when she rings me.... says I love you up to the sky and back.... sometimes it takes ages for me to get off the telephone to them ... they all say I love you more!!!! hence I reply I love you more.... it just goes on and on... Bless them... I do love them so much.