Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading at the moment

(1201 Posts)
Hattie64 Thu 26-May-11 19:58:46

I have just started reading 'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd. One of the reviews 'Wonderfully written, powerful, poignant and humerous'. Well I shall find out, I am on page 26 at the moment, and is very easy to read.

numberplease Wed 03-Jul-13 16:44:01

Finished Dead Simple, loved it, will be starting, later on, reading a book recommended on Gransnet by, I think, Gorki, it`s The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Seierstad, looking forward to getting stuck in.

annodomini Wed 10-Jul-13 22:40:36

I've just finished The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah. I think this might have been recommended some time ago on this thread. I found it both engaging emotionally and interesting from the point of view of the history and politics of Iran from the time of the Shah to the present day. It's a kind of family saga tracing the history of the country through their various experiences. Thoroughly recommended.

Gorki Wed 10-Jul-13 22:55:40

Sounds interesting annodomini That's the type of book I like. Will see if I can get hold of it.

annodomini Wed 10-Jul-13 23:22:50

Mostly I seem to be reading books that take me into other cultures: detective stories about Alaska (Dana Stabenow), about Saudi Arabia (Zoe Feraris), Rosie Thomas's Constance which is partly about Bali. And, until this morning, The House of the Mosque. Maybe I am doing vicarious travelling!

Maniac Thu 11-Jul-13 15:05:07

Applied for Cleaner of Chartres -didn't get a copy Boo-oo
Applied for 'Beautiful Ruins' still listing 'Cleaner of Chartres' and telling me there is a problem with my submission -seems to imply that I am making a second application for 'Cleaner of Chartres' ??!!
GNHQ Help !!

Galen Thu 11-Jul-13 15:13:11

Just finished mine! I'll give it you next Sunday at the meet!smile

Gorki Thu 11-Jul-13 19:50:50

annodomini I couldn't find the book you mentioned in our local library but did find one by the same author called My Father's Notebook so I took that out instead. It looks quite interesting. Have you read it ?

Ian42 Sat 13-Jul-13 14:58:02

I'm reading 'Edie Investigates,' a short story, by Nick Harkaway.

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 23:00:56

I haven't seen that one, Gorki, but will look for it next time I'm in the library. Thanks for the tip.

Gorki Mon 15-Jul-13 11:34:14

I am enjoying it anno. Very readable and easy to get into. Good insight into a very different culture.

annodomini Mon 15-Jul-13 12:12:42

Gorki, 1p used, on Amazon, plus postage - it had excellent reviews there. I will take it away on my holiday in France. I usually get through a lot, sitting in the shade or by the pool, or with my feet in a lovely river!

Gorki Mon 15-Jul-13 12:29:23

Good for you ! A bargain ! I'm sure it will add to your holiday experience.envy

dustyangel Mon 15-Jul-13 17:01:59

I've just caught up with this thread and it is interesting how many of us have enjoyed the same books. My airport buy recently was Victoria Hislop's The Thread. It is set in Greece during 1971 and 2007.I'm looking forward to it as I enjoyed her first two, especially The Island so much. While in England I paid FULL PRICE for a new copy of Dana Stabenow's first Kate Shugak book,just so that I could have a proper look at the maps which aren't very clear on the Kindle.
My easy Kindle reading at the moment is A Charmed Place by Antoinette Stockenberg. It is so enjoyable that I have ordered another one of hers.
This morning my daily deal offer from Amazon was Dust Angel, are they stalking me? grin

numberplease Tue 16-Jul-13 00:36:13

Dustyangel, I think you`ll love The Thread, I did.

dustyangel Mon 29-Jul-13 16:02:24

Yes, I've read it, loved it, and I'm keeping it so that I can go back to it in the future.
DD1 has been holidaying with us and getting through a book a day.(She doesn't have time to read at home) I've been following her and have just read The Lost Daughter and Her Mother's Shadow by Diane Chamberlain.
I hope that you and your husband are doing alright number and that you are getting some time for rest and relaxation and most importantly reading.

sharonirene Sat 31-Aug-13 19:25:03

I'm reading 'Bring Up The Bodies' by Hilary Mantel. Great book, I love all her work.

susieb755 Sat 31-Aug-13 21:10:12

Just discovered Dorothy Koomson, from a friend, currently reading - Goodnight Beutiful

numberplease Sat 31-Aug-13 21:53:57

Dustyangel, I`m glad you enjoyed The Thread. I`ve recently read Kate Mosse`s Citadel, and loved it, have you read any of her books? I love the way she mixes history with modern time, I loved Labyrinth, wasn`t as keen on Sepulchre, but am looking for more by her. At the moment I`m reading Say You`re Sorry, by Michael Robotham, it`s very good. And in answer to your query, Dustyangel, hubby is now back home after operation number 2 in less than a month, so far doing fine, thank you for asking.

Nelliemoser Sun 01-Sep-13 20:54:18

I just sat and finished "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn this morning! That was a crime novel with a really good twist in the tail.

dustyangel Mon 02-Sep-13 13:07:25

Numberplease, I didn't enjoy one of Kate Mosse's a few years ago, I can't remember which one. With so many recommendations I'd decided to try again and have been looking out for hers and also Zoe Ferraris'.
I have to rely on charity shops or get them on kindle though.
I have recently finished A Summer Place by Sloan Wilson. Although it gained pace in the second half, it doesn't seem possible that it is the same book I thought so wonderful when I was sixteen. The fifties were a different world.

numberplease Mon 02-Sep-13 16:00:34

I loved the film of A Summer Place, but try to avoid seeing films after reading the book, or vice versa, because I`m often disappointed. Am now reading XO, by Jeffrey Deaver, one of the Kathryn Dance stories. I`m enjoying it, but must admit to much preferring his Lincoln Rhyme books.

feetlebaum Mon 02-Sep-13 16:59:52

Re-reading [i]Mapp and Lucia[/i] - E F Benson - I have the TV series on DVD - it was remarkably faithful to the two of the six Lucia novels that formed the basis.

feetlebaum Mon 02-Sep-13 17:00:53

That's Mapp and Lucia - Gransnet rolls its own methods for display editing!

Jan09 Tue 03-Sep-13 20:09:38

I like psychological books. I have just downloaded for free on Amazon an e-book called, Night Monsters by Lauren White, which is all about two parents who decide to kill themselves and their children. Sounds terrifying but it's actually a wonderful story. They don't and it's more uplifting than upsetting somehow. I am also reading - one book on the train, one before bed - All my friends are crazy by Sera Anstadt, translated by Sarah Lawson, Chipmunka publishing. I'm not actually telling my friends about that one though.

Nonu Tue 03-Sep-13 21:10:11

I like Map & Lucia , although I find them hard to come by.

I had a result though when I was last in the U.S.A , I found two in a thrift shop I had not got , and cheap !! Better still !!

smile

This discussion thread has reached a 1200 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion