Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Getting children to read

(31 Posts)
Baggy Wed 03-Aug-11 13:25:26

glass, your Gs sounds lovely. Since he's not having difficulty with reading but is just too busy doing other important stuff, I don't think there's a problem. He's only five after all. Plenty of time to get studious if he's the type.

glassortwo Wed 03-Aug-11 13:22:22

He is not into indoor activities at all, and does not bother with the computer or t.v very often, he does not have any of these hand held games. He would rather be out building a den or a dam, or playing on his bike, generally boys stuff. But Gd is very different she loves to sit and write or draw.

Baggy Wed 03-Aug-11 13:12:52

Certainly never had a problem getting my three girls to read, but then they saw their parents reading books every day, their home was always stuffed with books, stories read (still to DD3 who is ten and an avid reader), reference books referred to all the time, and so on. More than that I don't really think you can do, except perhaps limit 'screen time'. We do that as well.

glammanana Wed 03-Aug-11 13:10:35

I don't think boy's are more reluctant than girl's but by the sound of your DGS
he has no problem reading and digesting what is written so why not now go out and do something else more interesting,my boy's where just the same no
problem's with the work just enjoyed being "boy's" instead.

glassortwo Wed 03-Aug-11 13:03:20

My GC love books and have a huge collection they love to be read too, but the 5 yr old boy who has just finished reception year does very well with reading but is very reluctant and would rather be off doing other things, but my GD 3yrs old loves to get a hold of a book and is sounding out the words, are boys more reluctant than girls?

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 03-Aug-11 12:08:18

Does anyone find this as difficult as I do? Books just don't seem to be able to compete with screens. I'm sure there are exceptions, but it seems a lot of children don't want to put the effort in. I do try reading aloud and they claim to love it - but I can't help feeling they're not getting the full benefit. No wonder they can't spell.....