Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Crimson China live webchat Monday 5 December 1-2pm

(64 Posts)
MumMum Mon 14-Nov-11 16:56:28

Just to say that I was delighted to receive a free copy the other day. I am saving it for a Christmas read with a wine, but looking forward to it as I spent a lot of my childhood in the Morecambe Bay area.
smile

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 13:49:16

scribblegranny

What do you find the most difficult thing about writing a novel (and how do you deal with it)?

Hi Scribblegranny. Actually I find writing good description really difficult. For me to write a metaphor is like birthing a ten pound baby! And I really value the work of those who are more adept than I at it. How do I get around it? Well in my next book the main character is blind! I thought that would make things easier, and in some ways it has, as it has given me a way into description: sounds, smells, texture etc are very important in this book, as is memory.

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 13:52:29

numberplease

It would be nice if there was a sequel.

Hi Numberplease. My own mother wanted a sequel! I'm not really in the business of writing sequels (much to the ire of my publishers) mainly because I get itchy feet as a writer and prefer new horizons and challenges. I also feel strongly that both Wen and Lili's stories do come to a natural conclusion in this book, even though I realize that I have left readers wanting more of a conclusive ending to Lili's story. I can only apologize to those of you who fall into that camp, but hopefully I've managed to address some of your longing...

getmehrt Mon 05-Dec-11 13:53:17

Do you find male characters as easy to write as female?

(I thought Wen was a fantastic character, although his exoticism I suppose meant not everything had to be explained. I was less convinced by Adrian. Loved the book, though!)

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 13:56:28

EmilyHarburn

I loved this book.

I live in Lancashire and visit Morecambe from time to time. My next visit is this week for a Christmas lunch at the Headway Hotel.

My son lives in Australia with his Australian wife. They have adopted two Chinese children. The first one a girl at nine months who is now 8 years old. Last year they went back with a group of parents and children to visit her orphanage. They were received by the head of the orphanage in the board room as 'successful graduates'. My grand child has had counselling offered by the adoption organisation in Australia to support her expression of identity and understand how to deal with questions both her own and other people's. Just as they got back from the orphanage last year they set out again to bring back an adopted son aged 22 months with a cleft palate. I spent 4 months in Australia with them shortly after they arrived back and then visited again this year. There has been a huge development of language, mutual play, brother sister interaction in the year. Before this in 2007 I did a Community Care visit to China with Master Travel. We were a group of social workers, psychologists teachers etc. and visited an orphanage, community centre, old people's home, Beijing Hospital, the Houtongs etc.

However, back to the book. Betsy Tobin is brilliant. Her understanding of May the adopted child in her family, and of the Chinese cockle picker, his relationship to his sister and to other people, I feel shows a very insightful and realistic understanding of relationships. I have attended some novel writing groups. It is difficult to write, and so I admire Betsy's skill. I found it hard to put the book down.

I ordered it on my Kindle the moment I read the review on Gransnet.

Do find us other books like this.

Hi Emily. I'm thrilled you loved the book and that the characters and their situations resonated with you. I was fascinated by the predicament of the generation of adopted Chinese daughters worldwide. Other people have addressed this topic in fiction if you're interested: I'd recommend Anne Tyler's Digging to America, about the adoption of a Korean child.

bigknitter Mon 05-Dec-11 13:57:20

Do you think of yourself as a literary novelist? Do you have a 'market' in mind when you set out?

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 14:00:45

boudoirbabe

I wanted to ask Betsy - who is your favourite writer, and how do you avoid just trying to copy them?

(I am trying to write myself, and I find my writing veers off in different directions, depending on what I've been reading. I think, "Oh, that's good, I'll try that." It ends up a bit of a mess!)

I don't really have favourites Boudoirbabe (nice name, by the way) but I do love anything with a strong voice. I once spent a weekend reading Curtis Sittenfeld's American Wife (fab fictionalized account of the life of Barbara Bush -- read it if you haven't!!!!) and when I went to work on Monday morning I spent several hours writing in her voice. At the end of the day I looked at what I'd written and had to throw it in the bin! As I've said earlier I also love books with a strong narrative line. And I am enthralled by anyone who can write lyrical descriptive prose. A recent example of the latter would be Hisham Matar's In The Country Of Men.

greatgablegran Mon 05-Dec-11 14:01:01

How long does it take you to write a book, and are you working on another one?

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 14:02:08

nannysgetpaid

Was delighted to get my free copy and enjoyed reading it but does anyone feel it ended too soon. I want to know what happened to the characters. confused

Oh dear -- cannot do anything more than apologize Nannysgetpaid. Sorry sorry sorry...will try not to do it again. Hate to leave readers wanting.

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 14:06:02

effblinder

Ooh I haven't quite finished this yet, so don't want to read the thread too closely, but wanted to ask what Betsy feels we could do to help people like Wen in real life - particularly in medical situations.

The scene in the pharmacy where Wen watches a man refuse medical advice (and the anecdote about the man hit by a bus) really brought it home to me how terrible it is to not be able to trust anyone, or accept any proper help.

Do you know of any charities doing anything to help people who are here illegally but in life-threatening situations?

Interesting question Effblinder. Short answer is no, I have never heard of a charity attempting to deal with this problem. It is absolutely the case that an illegal Chinese would have to be on the verge of death before they would seek help from the authorities or medical care. The risk of being sent back is simply too great. It's an important point to make to those who accuse this particular community of drawing on public resources. Illegal Chinese rely only on themselves in Britain. They dare not do otherwise.

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 14:09:05

boudoirbabe

I wanted to ask Betsy - who is your favourite writer, and how do you avoid just trying to copy them?

(I am trying to write myself, and I find my writing veers off in different directions, depending on what I've been reading. I think, "Oh, that's good, I'll try that." It ends up a bit of a mess!)

I didn't address the second part of this question and wanted to say that it's really vital that you find your own voice with fiction. I teach creative writing to secondary school kids and that is the single biggest thing we strive for. Each of us has a voice that is absolutely unique to us, that draws on our own experience and insight and history. Find and cherish and guard that voice. It's in there, and setting it free might be more easy than you realize.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 05-Dec-11 14:10:37

Time's up, folks. Thanks so much to Betsy for coming in and typing frantically for an hour and delivering such interesting answers to our questions.

We'll be watching for the next book!

Thanks again.

BetsyTobin Mon 05-Dec-11 14:12:11

What fab questions! And equally lovely comments. I'm so very pleased indeed that the book hit a note with Gransnet readers. Many many thanks for your support.

Betsy

jstrong196 Fri 10-Jan-14 18:09:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.