Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading at the moment, part2

(476 Posts)
GoldenGran Thu 12-Apr-12 10:59:20

Ok, I,ll start the next one. I have just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry,it is an unusual story of an ordinAry, quiet and rather sad man who receives a letter from someone in his past. He writes a reply and sets off to post it,but keeps passing post boxes and eventually decides to deliver it by hand. He lives in Devon and the sender is in a hospice in Berw ick upon Tweed.i loved it and thoroughly recommend it, It is in the end about love pain loss and redemption.

JessM Fri 20-Apr-12 05:49:55

Kindle fault - went on "chat" on customer service section of amazon website. They re going to post me a new kindle, will have to return the faulty one when i get back from my travels.
Fantastic service.
Lacuna developing in the direction I thought it might... given the era it was set in.

MaggieP Fri 20-Apr-12 09:27:15

Just finished The Help, which I found riveting and couldn't put down. It reminded me of times when I first visited my Uncle & Aunt in Johannesburg in
1967 and the visible signs of Apartheid were everywhere. Whites only signs on park benches, Post offices with separate doors for Whites only and so on.
Made one shiver....
Now started on Jo Nesbo, after watching The killing, Borgen and reading Stig Larsen, Scandinavia beckons again!

dorsetpennt Fri 20-Apr-12 09:46:57

baNANA if you've see The Marigold Hotel don't read the book as it'll make you cross. The film changed a lot of the book to suit themselves and it was such a shame. Just finished Marina Lewycka's latest Various Pets Alive or Dead. Excellent. Barbara Demick had written two excellent books: The Seige of Sarajevo and Nothing to Envy:North Korea.

greenmossgiel Fri 20-Apr-12 09:55:28

Just had to give up on Penelope Lively's 'How it all Began'. Did anyone else find it a bit confusing confused, or was it just me? Just about to start Joan Bakewell's 'All the Nice Girls'.

glammanana Fri 20-Apr-12 10:02:54

I am half way through "Catching Babies" free from GN and I am finding it very nostalgic,nice easy reading nothing heavy but it tugs on the memory strings as to when I had my 3.

gma Fri 20-Apr-12 10:41:06

Thank you gransnet for my copy of 'The House on Paradise Street' which has just landed on the hall carpet!!!! (via the letter box, not by magic)
I am really looking forward to reading it, its next on the list!!
I have avoided listening to it on Book at Bedtime on R4 as I knew that it would arrive any day!!!!!
Thanks again flowers

MaggieP Fri 20-Apr-12 12:23:05

Thank you from me too, The House on Paradise Street has just arrived and I look forward to reading it soon, I have some catching up to do! Also for Catching Babies, it will be good to read and see how it compares with my Midwifery Experiences!

yogagran Fri 20-Apr-12 18:46:34

I'm pleased that you got a result from Amazon Jess, hope your new Kindle arrives quickly

JessM Fri 20-Apr-12 23:03:51

It arrived the next day, much to mystification of DH who was not in the loop. Off to NZ in the morning to see other DS. Slightly frustrating missing a few words of every page of Lacuna. But doable.

harrigran Fri 20-Apr-12 23:19:28

I too have received my copy of The house on Paradise street and Catching babies, I am so looking forward to reading them. Thanks.

chitchat Sun 29-Apr-12 15:35:43

I had a kindle bought me for my recent birthday. The first book I bought for it is Deaf Sentence by David Lodge. Really enjoying it, could be because I am hard of hearing and wear a hearing aid, so can sympathize with him..Just finished The Leopard and The Snowman by Jo Nesbo, smashing,well I think they were.Also reading The Still Mind by Alan Watts it's about Meditation. Luv my book's, kindle not bad either.

Jacey Mon 30-Apr-12 15:26:36

Andrea Camilleri ...the Inspector Montalbano series ...lost in the sunshine, scenery and him shock

greenmossgiel Mon 30-Apr-12 19:39:51

Now You See Me (Lesley Glaister). I'm racing through this book - anyone else read any of hers? I'll look out for more!

flowerfriend Mon 30-Apr-12 19:52:44

I have only just read my first Barbara Kingsolver - the Poisonwood Bible. What a wonderful writer she is and I am going to read more of her when I can get my hands on them.

Over the last couple of months I have read many and varied books. Perhaps for me it goes with the time of year.

When I was visiting a friend she insisted I read something from her Kindle. Nothing wrong with the novel I was reading - well there was actually - but although I can see some plus-points for the Kindle I like to see books waiting for me on a shelf. And I like seeing them on shelves where they remind me of good reads I have had.

Annobel Mon 30-Apr-12 19:54:47

I am still ploughing through Trollope (no, NOT Joanna). Now near the end of the 'Last Chronicle of Barset' but have already dipped into the Palliser series with 'Can You Forgive Her?' Thoroughly immersed in the ecclesiastical goings-on in the 19th Century and looking forward to the convolutions of the political scene.

flowerfriend Mon 30-Apr-12 21:03:17

I loved the Barset Chronicles and will read again in a year or two.

I love the classics but I also read chick lit. and lots and lots of American and British crime novels. I read anything and everything - even the proverbial cereal packet when my GDs are here.

Annobel Mon 30-Apr-12 23:19:25

When I read of Lady Glencora, I keep seeing Susan Hampshire. Can't remember the name of the actor who played Plantagenet, but I can see him quite clearly too! And then there was Alan Rickman's incomparable portrayal of Rev Slope. Loved those Trollope adaptations - so long ago now.

eGJ Tue 01-May-12 10:26:44

Having just re-read all the Barset Chronicles swiftly followed by The Pallisers, I've now started re-reading the "Miss Read" books in order. She died recently and the obituaries were wonderful. Her characterisation and knowledge of village schools and village life is second to none (well Gervase Phinn comes a close second!)

MaggieP Sun 06-May-12 15:14:09

Just finished Before I go to sleep, a clever story and one I couldn't put down and couldn't guess the ending.

Greatnan Sun 06-May-12 15:52:48

eGH - I love the Miss Read books (and Gervaise's , of course) - they take us back to a gentler age.
I sometime envy people who have not yet read the great classics of literature, but I find I can re-read Austen, Trollope, Eliot and Hardy every few years. Not Dickens, though - too much padding to earn his 2/6d. per 1,000 words.
I can't read any author when I don't like the style, no matter how good the story may be, so that rules out Jeffrey Archer and Dan Brown.

At the moment, I am reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre and will probably be quoting him on the medical thread if any quack treatments are mentioned!

whitewave Sun 06-May-12 15:53:55

Just going through - again - the Jane Austin novels that I have in my book shelves , at the same time not long started Ken Follett's "World without End" and also nearly finished Lucy Moore's "Anything Goes" It depends what mood I am in on which book I pick up.

Greatnan Sun 06-May-12 15:57:46

Oops - typo - I meant eGJ of course.

whitewave Sun 06-May-12 16:01:19

Greatnan
I also love Mis Read novels - saw that she passed away was it last week? She was 98

eGJ Sun 06-May-12 16:22:44

Yes she did Whitewave ; try Googling her obituaries, they are wonderful! (Dora Saint)

Nonny Sun 06-May-12 16:45:36

I too enjoy Anthony Trollope and recently read "He knew he was right." His books are certainly worth re -reading periodically. There is a biograhy of him by Victoria Glendinning which is good for getting some knowledge of the man.
Two other books I like to re -read "Are Memoirs of a Highland Lady" by Elizabeth Grant of Rotthimurchus which is about her childhood and youth in Scotland around the turn of the 19th Century. Also "The Diary of a country parson- 1758-1802." I find it fascinating learnining about their every day lives.
At the moment I am reading my way through C.J. Sansoms series about Mathew Shardlake a lawyer who solves murders set in the times of Henry 8th. They are enjoyable and seem to be fairly accurate with the historical back ground but I think I am reading too many one after another!!
I loved Miss Read as a teenager and must look for them again.