Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading at the moment, part2

(475 Posts)
GoldenGran Thu 12-Apr-12 10:59:20

Ok, I,ll start the next one. I have just finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry,it is an unusual story of an ordinAry, quiet and rather sad man who receives a letter from someone in his past. He writes a reply and sets off to post it,but keeps passing post boxes and eventually decides to deliver it by hand. He lives in Devon and the sender is in a hospice in Berw ick upon Tweed.i loved it and thoroughly recommend it, It is in the end about love pain loss and redemption.

firstimegran Thu 12-Apr-12 12:04:37

I'm very pleased to find this thread on books as I like a recommendation. GoldenGran's suggestion sounds interesting so I'll look for it and see how I get on.

Seventimesfive Thu 12-Apr-12 17:52:46

Have just finished Deaf Sentence by David Lodge. Very funny in places, as he always is, but also poignant and sometimes a bit too close to home! I'd recommend it. I recommended Millions Like Us so I'm glad you enjoyed it expatmaggie

Mamie Thu 12-Apr-12 20:20:49

I love Deaf Sentence (and anything by David Lodge). I love the bit in the swimming pool when he can't find his locker and can't hear without hearing aids or see the number without his glasses (doesn't sound funny, but it is brilliantly written and you just know it must have happened to him).
I especially like the fact that he dedicated the book to his translators as it must have been incredibly difficult to do.

expatmaggie Thu 12-Apr-12 21:49:18

I never thought to mention David Lodge on GN but actually his books are the first I would save if we had a fire! I have read every single one since he started writing and all of them at least twice.
I wondered what the German translation of Deaf Sentence would be and it was as good as could be expected.
His books are really amusing and especially his portayal of Catholic priests, plodding through their duties, losing their faith and struggling on.

maggiew Thu 12-Apr-12 23:10:46

I have just finished Pereira Maintains by Antonio Tabucchi, who coincidentally , and sadly, died a week or so ago. It`s set in 1930s Portugal and concerns a widowed journalist who ignores the oppressive Salazar regime, but then befriends a young dissenter. It`s a great, and often funny book - a sort of parable really.

DavidH22 Fri 13-Apr-12 10:38:57

Hope I'm on the right thread. Thanks to those who offered tips on my using a recently-bought Kindle. As I've just downloaded four more books I'll be giving your hints a try. Again, thanks.

eGJ Fri 13-Apr-12 17:20:51

Thanks for your suggestion Goldengran have reserved it at the library! Just put down the latest Jeffrey Archer; not sure why I persisted, but wondered where he's take the Clifton characters and what cliffhanger he'd leave us with this time. Not sure it was worth the time, but on the other hand he spins a good yarn! Back to the Deborah Maggach and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel which I think will keep my interest on this cold stormy April evening!

SOOP Mon 16-Apr-12 13:30:39

I'm enjoying 'A Special Relationship' by Douglas Kennedy. Has anyone read other books by the same author?

Gally Mon 16-Apr-12 14:21:01

The Kashmir Shawl by Rosie Thomas - a very good read - couldn't put it down.

greenmossgiel Mon 16-Apr-12 14:24:00

I read that not long ago, Gally - it was very good, I thought. smile

Gally Mon 16-Apr-12 17:31:25

Soop I've read that plus The Pursuit of Happiness, The State of Union and The Woman in the Fifth - found them all good reads!
Green smile

specki4eyes Mon 16-Apr-12 22:26:54

Ordinary Thunderstorms; Any Human Heart & Restless - all by William Boyd plus the Stieg Larsson Trilogy - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc have kept me engaged during the past winter.

grannyactivist Mon 16-Apr-12 23:00:29

The Weight of Water by Sarah Crossan. A lovely short story.

SOOP Tue 17-Apr-12 10:50:25

Thanks Gally. I'm hooked. smile

bagitha Tue 17-Apr-12 13:22:45

Yes, thanks, gally. I ordered the kindle edition of the Kashmir Shawl last night. smile

Gally Tue 17-Apr-12 13:47:22

You'll love it Bags.
I am just getting to grips with the Kindle we got for Christmas - Mr.G took it over so now it's my turn! I will have to stock up a load of 'reads' ready for when I go to Sydney - so any recommendations welcome.

goldengirl Tue 17-Apr-12 18:04:39

I'm in the throes of reading 'The Road Home' by Max Arthur. It's a collection of memories from all sorts of people about what it was like after WW1. Some of it is very sad, other bits make me laugh out loud - especially when Aussies are involved!
The previous book I read was The Confessions of Edward Day by Valerie Martin. It's a story about a group of young aspiring actors, in particular Edward Day who was rescued by another aspiring actor, Guy Margate and what happened when they fell for the same girl. Has anyone read it? If so what did you make of the ending and the fact that Guy and Edward resemble each other? It haunted me for several days afterwards. A good read.

Hattie64 Tue 17-Apr-12 20:19:23

I have now reserved the Kashmir Shawl from the library, also a book by Tessa Hadley, recommended by a friend, as her books are frequently about middle age relationships, perhaps I can learn a thing or two!!!

JessM Wed 18-Apr-12 02:14:50

Reading my way through Barbara Kingsolver. Read Poisonwood years ago and was impressed. Loved, loved , loved Prodigal Summer. Particularly the natural history/environmental themes. One of those books you wish would go on - ended much too soon. Now reading Lacuna. fascinating first half if you are interested in Kahlo, Rivera, Trotsky or Mexico. Not quite sure what the second half is supposed to be about... But she writes so well.
Unfortunately my Kindle has developed a fault - a straight edged postage sized area of blur in one corner. Normally I live 10 miles from Amazon - but I fear they will say "send it back" and I am in Australia... Kindle withdrawal if the problem swallows more screen.

CarolecatH Wed 18-Apr-12 10:37:23

I have just finished reading These Foolish Things by Deborah Moggach. This is the book on which the film The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel was based. It is very humorous in places but highlighted some important issues. Having not seen the film but knowing the cast I had fun trying to work out which actor played which part.
I would recommend it especially for holiday reading.

JessM Wed 18-Apr-12 10:48:46

Hi, the film was only loosely based on the novel. Which as rather confusing when reading the novel after the film. Not rather, very.
Co-incidentally there is a bit in the book about a Hindu "hugging saint" who gave postulants a hug and a sweetie. Turns out she is real - she was on TV here in Australia this morning! Hundreds of women queueing up to be hugged by a chubby woman in a sari. !!!

baNANA Wed 18-Apr-12 13:34:42

Really loved Poisonwood Bible, must try some other books written by Barbara Kingsolver. Deborah Moggach's books are good, although I haven't read These Foolish Things, I did see the Marigold Hotel film so probably wont read that now I know what happens, I can recommend a book, I think it's called Into the Light, which she wrote a couple of years ago set around the 1st World War it's very good

Maniac Wed 18-Apr-12 17:42:57

I think I've read all Barbara Kingsolver's books and loved them all.The first one was 'The Bean Trees which I have recently reread.Also loved 'Pigs in Heaven and 'Prodigal Summer'.Less keen on her last one 'The Lacuna'

yogagran Thu 19-Apr-12 14:07:13

jess I suggest that you send Amazon an email, it's in their interest for people to keep buying downloads and may suggest something for you. Worth a try I reckon