Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Book club webchat with Victoria Hislop Wednesday 4 July 1-2pm

(107 Posts)
Greendorrie Sat 09-Jun-12 14:37:21

I would like to thank you for my copy of The Thread, which arrived Friday morning. The timing was perfect as 'The Football' started Friday afternoon!
I have only managed to read the first chapter but I am hooked. I can see that a combination of my book and my knitting are going to get me through a very trying time this month.
Love to you all at Gransnet.

VictoriaHislop Wed 04-Jul-12 14:12:35

flopsybunny

Have you still got the cocktail dress?!

Yes! Absolutely. I wore it last week to give a talk and it's still my favourite dress - it has so much sentimental value - as well as being the only truly tailored item of clothing I own. I adore it.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 04-Jul-12 14:14:31

Thank you so much to Victoria for coming in - and also for staying on a bit to answer a few more questions. I know that lots of us have really enjoyed this book - and it's been a pleasure to have Victoria at GNHQ. Now wishing we were in Greece envy

VictoriaHislop Wed 04-Jul-12 14:20:13

It's been great - thanks to GNHQ and to everyone who has written in.

Two things: if you have grandchildren - tell them about life as you have lived it, especially memories of childhood - it's what my own kids already call "the black and white days", but we have all seen such immense change. It's essentially what my books do, but in an imaginary way.

And secondly: don't hesitate to go to Greece this summer - the sun is shining there, the sky is azure - and you will have a wonderful welcome. Greek hospitality, "filoxenia", awaits you. Bye and thanks so much. Victoria

numberplease Wed 04-Jul-12 17:28:29

Thank you to Victoria Hislop for coming on here and giving us her own views on things in The Thread. I can agree with the fact that things are still raw from the occupation. When we paid our first ever visit to Greece, to the island of Zakynthos, in 1987, we were walking along the beach at Alikes one evening, and came upon an old gentleman, looked at least 90, he said "English?", we said we were, and he stood up and hugged and kissed me for absolutely ages! The following evening we visited Kambi Cross and heard all about the atrocities that occurred there.

annemac101 Wed 04-Jul-12 22:07:26

Thanks Victoria for answering our questions (even if mine didn't get picked!) I am in the middle of The Thread and it's not letting me down. The Island is my favourite book,I just wish we didn't have to wait so long between books but all that research takes a long time. I did start to read Birds With Wings about the Turkish side of the same event in history but it's quite hard going but I'm going back to it to try again.

GrandmaH Wed 08-Aug-12 16:09:55

I read your thread on The Thread & had to say- give learning Greek a go- it is not so very difficult. I went to lessons for a while & enjoyed them- taught me the alphabet anyway but then I discovered Michel Tomas' CDs which I have in my car & that is such an easy way to learn & fun too. You can get them on Amazon or maybe even EBay. It is a really easy way to learn with no homework - you just absorb it. My accent is good now having listened to them several times too. You take the part of a third student in a class & it is funny & so easy to start. You also learn useful phrases & grammar without thinking about it. I started off with the beginner's course & then got the advanced. It makes such a difference when you are over there - my husband was quite surprised when I was joking with the waiter about the food this year- I don't think he knew how much I could speak. try it- you'll enjoy it I'm sure.
Hl