Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What does middle class mean to you?

(296 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Oct-12 15:08:10

We're giving away 25 copies of a new book, The Middle Class ABC to gransnetters who post on this thread.

When you think middle class, is it those annoying Chelsea tractors that come to mind, or organic markets selling food covered in mud for twice the price, or girls with long flicky hair? (You can probably tell we're not taking this very seriously.)

We'll be drawing the winners at random on 9 November.

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 18:24:39

Yes, loved Grayson Perry. There's a thread about his programmes.

absentgrana Mon 29-Oct-12 18:42:44

I'm sorry – I really don't understand the question. Are you asking about lower middle class, middle middle class or upper middle class?

jO5 Mon 29-Oct-12 18:45:10

the one in the middle

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 18:54:01

absent I think the thread has lost its way a bit. It's an invitation to have a light-hearted look at middle class grin

absentgrana Mon 29-Oct-12 19:36:58

And your point when?

Elegran Mon 29-Oct-12 19:48:09

It always makes me think of that sketch with the "I look down on him because..... " Was it John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Ronnie Corbett?

jO5 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:56:20

Yeah, that's the one Elegran.

Elegran Mon 29-Oct-12 19:58:50

I know my place. In the wrong.

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 20:30:47

It's a bit of fun absent smile

baubles Mon 29-Oct-12 20:48:44

I wasn't aware of the term 'middle class' as a child but I knew who they were. Those families who had a car, whose daughters went to piano and ballet lessons and who seemed to disappear during the summer holiday at the end of primary school. I eventually discovered that they had gone to private schools envy

feetlebaum Mon 29-Oct-12 20:49:21

Cleese: (In bowler hat, black jacket and pinstriped trousers) I look down on him (Indicates Barker) because I am upper-class.

Barker: (Pork-pie hat and raincoat) I look up to him (Cleese) because he is upper-class; but I look down on him (Corbett) because he is lower-class. I am middle-class.

Corbett: (Cloth cap and muffler) I know my place. I look up to them both. But I don't look up to him (Barker) as much as I look up to him (Cleese), because he has got innate breeding.

Cleese: I have got innate breeding, but I have not got any money. So sometimes I look up (bends knees, does so) to him (Barker).

Barker: I still look up to him (Cleese) because although I have money, I am vulgar. But I am not as vulgar as him (Corbett) so I still look down on him (Corbett).

Corbett: I know my place. I look up to them both; but while I am poor, I am honest, industrious and trustworthy. Had I the inclination, I could look down on them. But I don't.

Barker: We all know our place, but what do we get out of it?

Cleese: I get a feeling of superiority over them.

Barker: I get a feeling of inferiority from him, (Cleese), but a feeling of superiority over him (Corbett).

Corbett: I get a pain in the back of my neck.

From The Frost Report

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:04:17

I remember the impact that sketch had at the time. Very funny grin

Ana Mon 29-Oct-12 21:04:42

Has nobody else noticed JO5's link at 18.45.20? confused
(Apart from Elegran wink)

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:12:40

Oh! Sorry Jingle I missed the blue words. flowers

jO5 Mon 29-Oct-12 21:13:50

grin

Thank you Ana!

Elegran Mon 29-Oct-12 21:50:33

I didn't notice it, I am afraid. I had already thought of it.

Very well observed sketch.

Jodi Mon 29-Oct-12 22:59:08

It's all to do with what you call your children/kids/sprogs

Wayne, Dwuane, Chardonnay or Kylie?

Aurelian, Rupert, Felicity or India?

hmm

Grannylin Mon 29-Oct-12 23:01:28

When you loose your Child Benefit

janeainsworth Mon 29-Oct-12 23:02:33

So what do Edward, Susan and Elizabeth make me then wink

nanaej Mon 29-Oct-12 23:03:06

Loved that Frost Report sketch .. watched it sitting in our middle class house (detached & in the sth London suburbs) with my working class mum (her dad a 'journeyman painter decorator, she left school at 14) and my 'foreign' dad (lawyer in Civil Service ). I was at a comprehensive school but had been at a private boarding school when parents worked overseas. I was going out with a lad who lived in a council flat and went to a grammar school. Our car was a Ford of some sort and we holidayed in Spain in our touring trailer tent that dad made from a kit. My mum did all her own cleaning and only went to work again ( as a bookkeeper) when youngest child at secondary school. Dad dis the gardening , read The Times and voted Labour.

It's not easy sorting out class! confused

grannyactivist Mon 29-Oct-12 23:15:24

Me! grin
And it wasn't easy, dragging myself up by the bootstraps!

kittylester Tue 30-Oct-12 07:17:56

My mum aspired to be middleclass so married the public school educated son of an oil company director. Unfortunately, my father was resolutely classless and wouldn't mention his background at all. confused

What actually defines class today?

absentgrana Tue 30-Oct-12 07:56:45

Class is still a huge issue in the UK and has little if anything to do with money. The middle class does still fall into three categories, lower middle class, middle middle class and upper middle class. Lots of Nancy Mitford's strictures do still apply, however silly they seem. For example, saying "pardon", "toilet" and "lounge" is still lower middle class; "sorry", "loo" and "sitting/living room" is middle middle class; "what?", "lavatory" and "drawing room" are upper middle class. Net curtains are as much an indication of class as owning a holiday villa in the Marche. In the sketch, Ronnie Barker plays an aspirational lower middle class man. I am not sure whether the John Cleese figure is truly upper class or just upper middle class.

In spite of John Major's declaration that class divisions no longer existed, they do still persist and are still pernicious. Social mobility has steadily decreased over the last three decades; we are all expected not just to know our place but to stay there these days.

absentgrana Tue 30-Oct-12 07:57:26

By the way, my original question was a feeble attempt at being funny.

Jodi Tue 30-Oct-12 08:16:47

What? Are not they all absent wink ??