Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Q&A with Richard Curtis

(33 Posts)
antheaj Thu 08-Nov-12 13:48:50

Hello Richard. I too am a huge fan. I would love to know what made you decide to write a children's book? I believe it's your first though I may be wrong smile

ladywriter Thu 08-Nov-12 11:35:50

Hi Richard. I love, love, love your work.
I'm sorry this post is going to be all self-indulgent but as I'll never get this opportunity again...

I am a great believer in making my own luck. I've always loved writing so I took a course on screenwriting. Since then I've had some success. I won a BBC Writersroom competition and more recently I sent a screenplay to a couple of the US film festivals. I won Best in Category at one and the Award of Merit at the other. I'm told by the festival organisers that they received thousands of scripts, so I suppose I must be doing something right. With my pair of 'laurels' proudly attached to this script I've tried every agent in London, and still they won't even read my script never mind take me on. I always knew it would be tough to break into the industry but my experience tells me it's practically impossible.

Is it this hard for everyone or do you think it's tougher for women? Why are there so few female screenwriters?

How does someone, female or otherwise, break into the industry these days?

I'd love to hear any advice you may have.

The very best of luck with the new book.

NannaB Mon 05-Nov-12 09:18:48

I agree with all that has been said so far. Your films are delightful. I haven't read any of your books yet! My question is - do you think Comic Relief is up there amongst your biggest achievements?

Gally Sat 03-Nov-12 12:55:58

Hello 'Lovely Person'. On a lighter note, I have to say how much I admire your films particularly Notting Hill and 4 Weddings and Funeral - I can watch them over and over and over again and not get bored - all your film and tv work really - including Dibley and War Horse. I'm a Curtis too, may be we're related grin(!) and desperately trying to think of a question instead of grovelling about your amazingness wink
Oh, just thought of one - do you write your childrens books for your own children or with them in mind? Do they read the proofs and criticise and make suggestions, or is it all your own work?

Anne58 Thu 01-Nov-12 22:15:12

Thank you, Deedaa , but I think we need to try to come up with questions (I couldn't!) But that last scene was brilliant, wasn't it? No matter how many times I see it, it still moves me.

Sorry Richard, I expect you are sick of it and I do appreciate that you have done a heck of a lot of other good stuff, but if I were you, and the main thing that I was remembered for was that scene, I would feel proud.

Deedaa Thu 01-Nov-12 21:24:29

Absolutely agree with everything you've said phoenix

Anne58 Thu 01-Nov-12 09:41:45

Not a question really, but just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the Blackadder series, and a special mention for the final scene of the final episode. It was handled so well, the switch from comedy was so beautifully and subtly done. I remember when my sons (both huge Blackadder fans) saw it for the first time, it really had a deep effect on them, and I still feel that there is no better way to show exactly what WW1 was like for those in the trenches.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-Nov-12 09:22:59

Author of our November kids' book of the month is award-winning film director, script writer and Lovely Person Richard Curtis. He's doing a Q&A for us about The Empty Stocking and his new career as a children's author. How different is this to writing for the Hollywood A-list? Add your questions for him here before 13 November.