Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Kindles

(31 Posts)
Gagagran Fri 30-Nov-12 07:32:36

I am an avid reader and DH is suggesting buying me a kindle for Christmas. I have always been instinctively anti them for no real reason other than that I like books. I have never used one although I realise how popular they are.

Please will those who have experience of them give me the pros and cons? I am wary of getting one and finding that I am unable to adjust to using it.

What essential bells and whistles should I be looking for?

annodomini Fri 30-Nov-12 22:02:08

If you have it in a protective case that absorbs the impact, the Kindle should be fine unless you actively throw it. Mine has occasionally slipped onto the bedroom floor, which is carpeted, and has come to no harm.

glassortwo Fri 30-Nov-12 22:06:39

I have dropped mine on the floor when I have dropped off to sleep and its been fine, but it is in a case.

glassortwo Fri 30-Nov-12 22:07:15

If you are getting a case go onto Ebay as they are much cheaper than Kindle.

Grannylin Fri 30-Nov-12 22:24:44

I dropped mine outside on concrete!I miss it when I go away because I had the 3G version and could access emails/ Internet practically anywhere for free.It was quite slow but really useful when you needed to check something and were nowhere near access to WiFi.

lionlilac Mon 03-Dec-12 16:58:36

I was so anti-kindle but was given one as a present and in the first week I read four books and had difficultly putting it down.
Also agree with glassortwo you can get some really smart cases on ebay.