Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Q&A

(85 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-Jan-13 15:20:54

Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn's thriller about a young woman who disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary, topped the bestseller lists in America and went straight into the top 10 when it came out in paperback here.

It's our Book of the Month for February and Gillian will be doing a Q&A with us at the end of the month.

Ask your questions here. Don't forget spoiler alerts! smile

Teresa1 Thu 22-Aug-13 10:08:49

have tried to get into reading the book, but as already said, found it unusual. However, will certainly give another try.

Grannyknot Thu 25-Jul-13 23:03:34

Cheers, Jane.

janeainsworth Thu 25-Jul-13 19:32:12

www.gransnet.com/webchats/gone-girl-gillian-flynn
Here you are Grannyknot smile

Grannyeggs Thu 25-Jul-13 18:14:27

I really couldn't get to grip with it, but so many people I know liked it, I might try again. The main characters were awful,should I take it on holiday and make myself read it, or just give it away?

Grannyknot Thu 25-Jul-13 17:12:30

I just finished reading this book, having been completely drawn in, until the part where the reader learns the truth about Amy. Then I sort of skim-read the rest, because I wasn't really convinced by the convoluted denouement.

The ending was a bit Rosemary' s Baby. Anyway I came on here wanting to read the Q & A, but can't find it. Did the author do Q & A?

janeainsworth Sat 20-Jul-13 17:44:06

I enjoyed it too - I thought the way it portrayed the changing relationship very cleverly done, and the rather inconclusive ending seemed to mirror what life is really like.

Ariadne Sat 20-Jul-13 17:34:10

Couldn't stop reading! Very well crafted, a readerly text.

Charleygirl Sat 20-Jul-13 17:26:19

I struggled with it, only reading a couple of chapters and gave up. I found it slow and boring.

dirgni Sat 20-Jul-13 17:04:54

My daughter in law lent me a copy and I'm glad to say that I must be one of the very few people who thoroughly enjoyed it and found it a compelling read!

yogagran Thu 23-May-13 16:02:47

I'm sorry to say that I downloaded the "sample" onto my Kindle and couldn't be bothered to go any further than that! There are too many other books to read and I decided not to waste time on one that I was struggling with.

Sorry - that should have been - one with which I was struggling

EastEndGranny Wed 22-May-13 16:51:23

I struggled at times to maintain interest. At the beginning it was mostly because I wasn't sure if I liked Nick and I hate reading about key characters that I don't take to. At the end I was cross that Amy was getting away with what she had done. It was quite intriguing at times and I quite liked the alternate chapters approach. But anyway thank you for sending me the book.

grandimars Sat 06-Apr-13 13:10:58

I've finally read it. By page 30 I was ready to give up but I carried on and then found it hard to put down, even though I hated all the characters especially Amy and Nick. The various twists and revelations kept me guessing, but like an earlier poster, I turned the page expecting a bit more, only to find it had ended, too abruptly for me. I'm not a prude but I did find Amy's language in one particular section distasteful, although at the same time I could feel the hatred that made her think that way.

nonnanna Fri 22-Mar-13 07:22:04

Sorry - just realised what a spoiler alert is. Hope that's not ruined it for anyone blush

nonnanna Fri 22-Mar-13 07:18:15

Finished it. I thought it was a bit like an onion, you had to peel off the layers. Very cleverly written...it would adapt into an excellent film. As a thriller I felt it was a slow starter but picked up pace and intrigued me to the end. Nick is quietly waiting for revenge, I guess. Amy's parents are so sickly, saccharin sweet and have done untold damage to her self esteem with their Amazing Amy legacy. By the end of the book the circle is starting again - watch out, child of Amy and Nick. Could a sequel be on the cards maybe?

Oh and I managed to read it without creasing the spine so may still wrap it up for DIL. Does that make me an evil, scheming cheapskate or just a thrifty, needy pensioner?

lilybet Thu 28-Feb-13 17:36:31

I also am having trouble with this book. I have already decided I hate the married couple and really don't care what happens to them.I will however finish the book and give a new review then. Hard work!!!!

Gramsiesue Thu 28-Feb-13 14:30:36

how funny just seen all this chat about 'gone girl' my daughter aged 28 in Oz has it as her book club book and recomended it to me.. thought it was not for oldies.. perhaps I should read it now.

sueheducation Thu 28-Feb-13 13:40:27

Thank you for my copy - I have not had time to open it yet but am intrigued by all the comments and am looking forward to reading it.

sofasogood Mon 25-Feb-13 17:07:45

Will you have much input to the film?

floozie Mon 25-Feb-13 16:56:40

What did you mean readers to make of Desi? I thought he was frankly peculiar.

krispycreme Mon 25-Feb-13 16:53:01

How long did it take you to write the book? Did you have to do a lot of research on the police and legal stuff?

getmehrt Mon 25-Feb-13 16:43:34

Coffee walnut cake or chocolate cake? cupcake

granIT Mon 25-Feb-13 16:42:29

What has success enabled you to do? How has it changed your life?

Iwasframed Mon 25-Feb-13 16:40:23

Hi Gillian,

My question is: why do you think this book has had such success? What is it that grabs people's imagination? And did you know when you were writing it that it was that kind of book?

holeysock Mon 25-Feb-13 16:37:56

Do you think Nick would really stay at the end, knowing what a monster Amy is and what she's capable of?
I just wasn't convinced he'd stick around. He is absolutely not as mad as her.

thickofit Mon 25-Feb-13 16:35:57

A lot of people have sort of asked this question, but were you worried that in creating two such horrible characters, with very few redeeming features, you would lose sympathy for them?

The books seems to polarise opinion. A lot of people love it of course - look at the sales - but the ones who don't like it really don't like it.