Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Middlesteins

(114 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 08-Mar-13 09:18:02

Our March book club novel is The Middlesteins by Jami Attenberg, the story of Edie, who is eating herself to death. Can her family save her? Should they? And why are we so obsessed by food?

Jami Attenberg will be doing a Q&A for us at the end of the month, so please - especially if you got a free book - do ask a question here.

gma Thu 14-Mar-13 10:03:32

Many thanks for the March Book Club copy of 'The Middlesteins' which has just dropped through my letterbox. I heard some of it on R4 Book at Bedtime so it will be good to fill in the chapters which I missed. I will report back on my impressions!!!! Thanks again. smile

Ariadne Thu 14-Mar-13 10:57:56

Me too. Thanks!

Gorki Thu 14-Mar-13 11:45:24

Many thanks for my copy which has just arrived.I'm looking forward to starting it this afternoon.

carol49cat Thu 14-Mar-13 14:39:12

Thanks for my book, which arrived today. I have only just finished enjoying State of Wonder so am looking forward to reading this one. I am always so pleased when I get one of your free books and they are much appreciated - I pass them on to my mother who lives in sheltered accomodation and they then get passed around. Achilles was greatly enjoyed by everyone. These are the type of book that I would not normally buy as I tend to stick to my favourite authors, so gransnet is expanding my reading horizons.

Marelli Thu 14-Mar-13 15:04:50

Thank you very much for my book which arrived this morning. I'll put it on the top of my reading pile! smile

annodomini Thu 14-Mar-13 16:35:18

And thanks from me too. It was on the doormat when I got home this afternoon and I'm looking forward to starting it. Will take it with me when I go to Scotland on Saturday.

Movedalot Thu 14-Mar-13 16:58:22

Ah, that's where it came from! Thank you very much. Currently not much time for reading and have started something huge but will read this next.

MaggieP Thu 14-Mar-13 17:41:44

My copy also arrived today so very many thanks, I will look forward to reading it but only 100 pages into Wolf Hall so another 500 to go first!

Grandmanorm Thu 14-Mar-13 18:23:26

Thank you for my copie. I have read the first chapter s I got hooked after the first page, in spite of the fact I am reading Eloise!!
Anno enjoy your trip to Scotland, it is very cold!!!

Marelli Thu 14-Mar-13 20:51:36

You'll need your fur drawers, anno! smile

emmasnan Thu 14-Mar-13 21:11:51

My copy came this afternoon. Thank you, looking forward to reading it.

NannaAnna Thu 14-Mar-13 23:55:31

Mine arrived today too smile
Thank you! A lovely surprise to come home to.

Oldgreymare Thu 14-Mar-13 23:58:36

Ooooh, I thought you were being cheeky about the Middletons! smile

merlotgran Fri 15-Mar-13 11:09:07

Mine arrived this morning. Thank you, Gransnet.

You mean it's NOT abour the Middletons?? shock confused grin

LullyDully Fri 15-Mar-13 11:41:02

Thank you for my new book, came today.

BoomerBabe Fri 15-Mar-13 12:40:06

I enjoyed this book, read it on a long haul plane journey. As one who has issues with food and weight control...see food and eat it, finish everything on my plate, food as reward, happiness food, can eat even when not hungry... I found it deeply interesting. In the end only Edie could stop Edie eating but as it was her only joy in life that was never going to happen. Although not in Edie's league, I long to be slim. I know what to do. Lately I've been wondering if I actually want to enjoy eating more than I want to look gorgeous, but I do want to be healthy and live longer. I think Edie had even given up on that in her obsession.
Upbringing and training as a child definitely have a large part to play, as does the emotional state and it's very hard to break bad habits. I was careful with my children growing up and all are slim adults. I wish my mother had done me the same favour. One question: why Jewish?

dawn1gel Fri 15-Mar-13 12:41:01

My book arrived this morning. looking forward to reading it, will let you know what I think.
Thankyou

Maniac Fri 15-Mar-13 13:21:33

Delighted to get my copy of 'The Middlesteins' Thankyou.It's going to be a reading week-end. Goodee!

glammanana Fri 15-Mar-13 13:39:34

Thanks for my copy it arrived this pm.glamma x

glassortwo Fri 15-Mar-13 14:00:10

Thank you Gn my copy has just arrived, I was looking for an excuse to dump the book I am struggling with grin

diddy Fri 15-Mar-13 14:59:29

Thanks for my book which I received today...I'll start it when I've finished the book I'm reading at present.

Hameringham Fri 15-Mar-13 15:04:45

Thank you - book arrived today I can't wait to settle down to a good read.

celebgran Fri 15-Mar-13 15:17:11

Thank you very much got my copy today! Will take it away with me!

nanapug Fri 15-Mar-13 15:47:30

I too received my copy today and am off for a three day break next weekend; so perfect timing as I can read it in the car while my lovely OH is driving. Really looking forward to it xx