Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books made into films/TV

(8 Posts)
J52 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:04:34

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse is a great book, fantastic read. I looked forward to watching the recent drama. What a disappointment ! I only watched part 1 and fell asleep for some of it.
What books when adapted for media have disappointed others?

LullyDully Tue 02-Apr-13 19:58:52

I agree, had told DH the story was really good...awful.
Captain Corellie's Mandolin was a glorious book .I couldn't bear the idea of the film . I understand they changed the end totally which ruined the story. Also why Nicholas Cage?

BAnanas Tue 02-Apr-13 20:18:00

J52 I didn't really like the book, although it did get me interested in the Cathars and read a bit about them after I finished Labyrinth. I did give this production a go but abandoned it after 10 minutes or so. Do agree with you that when a much loved book is filmed it can often be a disappointment, particularly when you feel it has been miscast. I think more often than not the book will be more enjoyable anyway. My husband was really mad when he read that Tom Cruise had been cast as Jack Reacher and wouldn't go and see the film.

numberplease Tue 02-Apr-13 20:25:32

The fact that I`d really enjoyed reading Labyrinth was what stopped me watching the TV production, as several books that I`ve enjoyed have been filmed and ruined. A prime example was Bella Mafia, by Lynda la Plante, a very thick, and extremely good book, but the film was pathetic. Also, Flowers in the Attic, of which I read and enjoyed all the books, was completely spoiled when made into a film. And like your husband, BAnanas, I just can`t bring myself to see the Jack Reacher film, not with teeny Tom Cruise as Reacher!

sunflowersuffolk Tue 02-Apr-13 20:26:58

I was going to mention the Lee Childs book too, and the ridiculous casting of Tom Cruise - a midget compared to Jack Reacher, and size does matter in this case smile

bookdreamer Tue 02-Apr-13 20:41:13

I really liked the film sunflowersuffolk. Loved the books. When I was in the USA at Christmas my son and his girlfriend took me to see it. Was prepared to hate it but Tom cruise was really good and it was a great action film. And I'm not a Tom cruise fan at all! Not Reacher material but still a great film.

sunflowersuffolk Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:36

Oh thanks for that bookdreamer - I must admit I haven't been able to go and see the film, so I suppose I should, before I criticise. I'm sure as an action film it's good, just not Jack.

I did find that the Harry Potter films were very like I had imagined from the book. I haven't seen them all though.

Forzanonna Tue 02-Apr-13 20:49:43

I'm almost always disappointed with films of books. However, although I didn't like the Swedish film of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, none of which came close to what I'd imagined, the English language film with Daniel Craig came much closer for me. Recent Ch 4 film of Ken Follett's World's End was awful - at least in my opinion.