Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Cold Comfort Farm

(26 Posts)
Clytie Mon 06-May-13 10:16:10

I'm re-reading this for the first time in 20 years, and wondering why I left it so long!
Flora is currently enduring the attentions of Mr Mybug and I have added oranges to my shopping list.

Is it a favourite with anyone else?

absent Mon 06-May-13 10:48:47

Something nasty in the woodshed has been a family saying all my life.

Tegan Mon 06-May-13 11:00:08

Oh yes; to the extent that my daughter modelled herself on Flora and started organising peoples' lives [she probably would have done so anyway knowing her]. I often think of wotsisname cleaning his teeth with a bit of stick when I brush me teeth. I bought a 'Cold Comfort Farm at Christmas' the other year but didn't get round to reading it. I didn't realise at the time that it was, at the time, actually set in the future [if that makes sense]. Annoyingly I lent my video of the tv adaptation to someone and never got it back; Kate Beckinsale and Stephen Fry were in it [and Joanna Lumley and that gorgeous actor with the lazy eye]. Damn; I want to watch it now sad.

Daisyanswerdo Mon 06-May-13 11:03:17

One of my all-time favourite books - I would love to have written it. I've known 'Something nasty in the woodshed' as long as I can remember, and now I often think, or say 'clettering the dishes' and 'I did. F. Poste'.

feetlebaum Mon 06-May-13 11:36:40

Fascinated to learn that she wrote most of it on the Underground, on her way to and from work!

Lilygran Mon 06-May-13 12:10:00

Great book.

Mamie Mon 06-May-13 15:09:01

Love it. Also have the wonderful TV adaptation with Kate Beckinsale, Freddie Jones, Rufus Sewell and Stephen Fry as Mybug.

Mamie Mon 06-May-13 15:10:29

Sorry Tegan, didn't see you had mentioned TV version already. We cletter the dishes here and watch out for the sukebind.

Tegan Mon 06-May-13 16:10:24

That's ok Mamie; I'd forgotten Rufus Sewell's name [how could I blush [sigh]?]. It was brilliant wasn't it! Freddie Jones has been in some brilliant programmes; I think I first saw him in an adaptation of Nana over 40 years ago.

susieb755 Mon 06-May-13 16:16:25

Funny enough , i started re reading this last week ! I call my GD a mommet , but forgot why smile

annodomini Mon 06-May-13 17:05:25

We always talked of 'something nasty in the woodshed' and who could forget Aunt Ada Doom? I must re-read it - if I can find it.

Deedaa Mon 06-May-13 20:13:03

My mother used to mutter about Something Nasty in the Woodshed for years before I actually read the book. smile It really is time I read it again.

Clytie Tue 07-May-13 10:34:07

grin
DD telephoned last night and admitted that she had been a little hungover that morning after a night out with her friends.
"Oh child, child." I said. "Was it for this I cowdled thee as a mommet?"

There was a very long pause, during which I think she was wondering whether I was entirely sober myself....

I must send her the book!

MoonlightSonata Tue 07-May-13 11:13:12

One of my favourites.

I love books from the past that are set in the future - it's fascinating to see their predictions! Planes everywhere, but still the old-fashioned kind - video telephones, but still with dials.

Stansgran Tue 07-May-13 12:26:20

This thread has made me want to reread it .

inthefields Tue 07-May-13 12:30:43

Had no idea there had been a TV adaptation blush.
Was it any good?

This was an old favourite, so would hate to be disappointed

Mamie Tue 07-May-13 12:37:10

I think the TV version is wonderful, inthefields. Fine acting all round. I think the congregation of Amos's church singing the hymn, "for they shall burn and we will quiver..." is just brilliant.
Don't think the DVD was very expensive.

Clytie Tue 07-May-13 13:32:40

Oh. Oh, I'd forgotten all about the TV adaptation.

I must have a look for the DVD!

grumppa Tue 07-May-13 22:39:42

One of my favourites. A few years ago I came across Mary Webb's "Precious Bane", published eight years earlier, and appreciated the satire even more, never mind the actual humour.

Tegan Tue 07-May-13 23:25:04

The Mill on the Floss [which I'm ashamed to say I've never managed to finish] is the opposite in that it's set 40 years in the past [note to self; must get round to finishing it]. Was there a film of Precious Bane? I seem to recall seeing a picture in one of the film books I had as a child.

Tizzysmith Wed 08-May-13 11:42:47

I read Cold Comfort Farm in my youth, many years ago. Such a send up. I haven't re-read it, but remember vividly "Something nasty in the woodshed", which has become a family saying. Sukebind must surely grow under another name somewhere?
There was a wonderful 1968 film version with Alistair Sim.

Another early read was Bullet in the Ballet by Caryl Brahms & S J Simon. Full of eccentric characters and based on Diaghlev's Ballet Russe. Has anyone read it?

grumppa Wed 08-May-13 19:33:17

Bullet in the Ballet: another favourite.

Precious Bane was on BBC tv a few years ago.

Lilygran Wed 08-May-13 22:49:14

Bullet in the Ballet and all the Brahms and Simon books, brilliant! No Bed for Bacon, anyone? Don't, Mr Disraeli?

Daisyanswerdo Thu 09-May-13 00:34:37

Yes, I love Caryl Brahms & S J Simon. Noel Langley's books (Cage Me a Peacock and Hocus Pocus, for example) are brilliant too.

mrsmopp Mon 20-May-13 00:02:09

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!
My favourite scene is Ian McKellan as the vicar preaching death and damnation to the quivering congregation. It's hilarious. You can see the clip on YouTube - go on- look it up!