Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Trollope and James

(36 Posts)
Bags Sat 20-Jul-13 21:20:48

I downloaded a free kindle copy of The Warden by Anthony Trollope and I've read (re-read since I started this book before but gave up) the first chapter.

My memory of Henry James's style in Portrait of a Lady was that James's writing (at least in that book) is several orders of magnitude more elegant. So I read the first few pages Portrait again too.

I was right. It is much more elegant prose.

Beats me how other people don't seem to see it. However, I shall persevere with The Warden for a while in the hope that the story isn't as stodgy as the prose since thereseem to be so many Trollope fans on GN and I wouldn't like to miss out on a good story.

#janeaustenfan

Bags Mon 22-Jul-13 13:11:18

I've read Middlemarch at least twice as well. Great book.

laidback Mon 22-Jul-13 13:23:53

Anyone read 'Death comes to pemberley'? PD James follow on from Pride and prejudice? I was up in Yorkshire recently and they were filming this at 'Castle Howard'

j08 Mon 22-Jul-13 13:25:38

Well, I'm NOT gonna try again! No way!!!

grin

Tegan Mon 22-Jul-13 13:38:11

j; mine has probably been ongoing for a decade. Tell you what, I'll take it with me when I go on me hols and I'll read it for both of us wink!

FlicketyB Mon 22-Jul-13 15:04:34

Middlemarch was on my A level English text and I can remember at 16 thinking what an unsuitable book it was for 16 - 18 year olds. It is primarily a study of marriages from Dorothea and Casaubon, her sister's marriage, Lydgate and Rosamund Vincy, the elder Vincys, Bulstrodes and several others. At 16 I was aware that I did not have enough experience to understand the book other than in a most superficial way.

Twenty years later I came back to it and was pleased to discover my teenage judgement was correct. As an adult it is a riveting read, the subtle interplay of how a range of different marriages work, the balance of power within them and the way individuals in a couple will manipulate their partner to achieve their aims was spell binding.

Tegan Mon 22-Jul-13 17:24:00

Oh blimey; having yet another senior moment; it's The Mill on the Floss that I've been trying to read for years. Does that mean I have to read both now confused....

annodomini Mon 22-Jul-13 18:42:45

Both great novels, Tegan though The Mill is less complex than Middlemarch which, I would agree, is too complex for A-level study. I liken it to a very complicated, inter-linked pattern which eventually makes sense at the end. I love it - there was a pretty good attempt to televise it some time ago - a challenging adaptation, I would think.

j08 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:21:02

Love the Mill on the Floss.

Well, did when I read it years ago.

j08 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:22:19

Don't think I'll ever bother with these old books again though.

Stansgran Mon 22-Jul-13 21:32:25

I feel I haven't got any time now to reread as there is so much new stuff around. All right perhaps not as great as the greats but surely they must be given a chance. And i feel there are only so many years left too me. The only rereads I can enjoy are Jane Austen and oddly Cranford. Hardy makes me suicidal too.