Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Twins - live webchat with Saskia Sarginson 11 Sept 1-2pm

(56 Posts)
Gorki Thu 15-Aug-13 11:34:42

Many thanks for this book which arrived this morning. I am very much looking forward to reading it as I think twins are fascinating and I am waiting to see how this novel develops.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 11-Sep-13 13:00:06

Welcome Saskia - handing over to you to talk twins, writing and everything in between!

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:07:20

chrissy5061

Just finished this lovely book. Really held me from start to finish. This book takes you back to childhood friendships. Set in lovely Suffolk, places where we spent a lot of holidays when my daughter was little, that was also in the 70's, my daughter would run through the fields and woods with her cousins who lived in lovely Woodbridge. Visiting Suffolk Colts in the field and feeding them polo mints and carrots. My daughter with her with her cousins could have been with the twins, it all felt so,so real, which really bought back hazy days of summer and rough winds and cold sea in winter. Thank you Saskia for that. Also the Michael Fish foopah My hubby was on a ferry at the time going to France. We didn't have mobiles or internet, I had no idea whether he was safe until he came back, that was a real bad weekend we sat by tv and radio for any news. This book holds so many memories for me, and I can honestly say that the author got it oh so right,once again thank you. I couldn't put this book down, a true account of late 60's and 70's. I don't know about anyone else but you felt that you were in the story, the two sets of twins, from different backgrounds, joined together by their Enid Blyton's adventures real childhood. Scary, funny, innocent childhood in the days when children were children and free to run anywhere without too much fear.So much fun which brought some horrible consequences. Voila's eating disorder. Isolte was tormented with terrible nightmares, the secrets affected her life, she was lucky to find a man who loved her for what she was,he was patient and waited until she was ready to find a way to find trust. you laugh, you cry.The secrets of childhood. What did happen to Polly? Could there be another book there? Thanks for the memories, a great read. Your first book to be proud off, Can't wait to read your next book, How long do we have to wait for that? We have had a great Summer this year and this has been a great summer read. 100%. Thank you so much.

Thanks so much for your lovely response to the book! Great that you know the area and remember the events from that time. I love writing about eras that I have so many memories from, it seems so poignant. I have left the question of Polly open as I didn't want to end the book as a crime novel. For me, Polly stands for all those losses in life that remain unanswered and never-ending. Sorry! But I do have another book - Without You - already written and out next year. The e.book will be out in March 2014. It's set in Suffolk again and in the 60's and 80's. Thanks again, best wishes, Saskia

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:10:57

kalinka

Hi Saskia I heard you on Woman's Hour but only caught the end so looking forward to this. I loved the book. Did the idea come from having twins yourself?

Thanks so much. Am very happy you loved the book. Yes, the idea for writing The Twins came from my experiences of having my daughters; I wanted to write a fiction with twins as the main characters because of the complex and fascinating relationship that identical twins have with each other. But the characters of the fictional twins, Issy and Viola, are not based on my real daughters.

mushy Wed 11-Sep-13 13:13:12

How did you get into writing? You prpbably get asked this all the time

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:15:10

pickledlily

Given you have identical twins yourself did you find it hard to paint very different pictures for each of the twins in the story? Have they ever asked which of them is which in the book? (That's two questions hope that's ok)

Hi - those are great questions, thanks! I didn't find it hard to separate my fictional twins from my real ones. I had plenty of ideas about how twins related to each other from observing my girls, but then I began to create completely different characters to live on the page. I don't think it's a good idea to base fictional characters on real people - it inhibits the imagination and could be hurtful. When my daughters read the book they were a bit disappointed that they didn't see themselves in the characters! But they did recognise the way twins behave and think about each other.

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:18:28

marblecake

I believe this is your debut novel - how did it feel to see it in print? Did you think it would do so well? Was it scary going on Woman's Hour?

It felt amazing to see it in print! It also made me a bit tearful. A novel is such a personal thing; you live with the characters for so long; letting them 'go' is a strange experience. Fingers crossed, it does seem to be doing well at the moment. It's wonderful when people say that they enjoyed it. It was a bit scary going on Woman's Hour - but then, because I was with my daughters, and Jenni Murray was so kind and interested, in the end it was a real pleasure!

Clytie Wed 11-Sep-13 13:18:52

Hello Saskia

I heard you on Woman's Hour too. I've ordered my copy from my local bookshop and I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

I love the Suffolk countryside too, and I'm looking forward to your descriptions of it. I wondered what made you choose to set the book in that area?

LyndaW Wed 11-Sep-13 13:21:04

Hi saskia, did you have much say over the book jacket design? It's really beautiful.

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:24:13

Maggiemaybe

Thank you, Gransnet, for the free copy of The Twins.

I doubt I'll have time to finish it before Wednesday's webchat, but I am fascinated by the disparate lives of the two girls and want to find out what brought each of them to such different places. Whether it's going to turn out to be one life-changing event or a gradual accumulation of things. The writer has really made me care about her characters - John and Michael and their family as well as Viola and Isolte and their mother. This to me is the mark of a good writer.

My particular question would be regarding Viola's eating disorder. I would like to ask Saskia whether her portrayal of this is based on any personal experience or is it the result of a lot of research?

And if I can ask a second question... Much of the early book regards the relationship between two sets of twins. Have Saskia's own twins had close friends who are also twins? And if so, does Saskia think that this led to a particularly close friendship?

I'll definitely be looking out for the next book.

Hi - thanks for your questions. Like many women, I've been concerned with my weight and gone on endless diets in my life, but thankfully have never suffered serious problems. I had a very close friend with anorexia when we were both in our twenties and I also did a lot of research into it. I haven't named Viola's problem as 'anorexia' as there are many disorders relating to eating - but most people think that's what she has.
My twins have got friends who are also twins, but they haven't formed a close friendship with them. However, they do say that they love meeting other twins and always feel a bond, as only other twins really know what it's like to be one.

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:27:57

Clytie

Hello Saskia

I heard you on Woman's Hour too. I've ordered my copy from my local bookshop and I'm hoping to pick it up tomorrow.

I love the Suffolk countryside too, and I'm looking forward to your descriptions of it. I wondered what made you choose to set the book in that area?

Hi - thanks for buying the book and I do hope you enjoy it. I'm sure much of the landscape in the book will be familiar to you as I've set the book in the pine forest, in the fields and on those wild, shingle beaches that are so typical of Suffolk. I grew up in Suffolk, near Woodbridge, in the 70's and 80's. It felt 'right' to set my book in an area that I know so well and love so much. I really enjoyed writing all the descriptions of the landscape.

Sunhat Wed 11-Sep-13 13:31:59

I wondered if you have a favourite character in the book, Saskia?

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:33:26

mushy

How did you get into writing? You prpbably get asked this all the time

Hi - I've always loved telling stories. I used to make stories up for my younger sister all the time. And I guess I've scribbled down short stories and poems since I can remember. I never thought that I could write fiction as a career though. So I went into journalism and ghost-writing. It was only after I had my fourth child and I was in my 40s that I sat down to write a novel. I just wanted to see if I could. Then I discovered that I loved writing the longer length and had more ideas for more books. I did an MA in creative writing and got myself an agent. Getting The Twins published was an incredible feeling!

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:36:15

Sunhat

I wondered if you have a favourite character in the book, Saskia?

I love all the characters, so that's a hard one to answer! Viola and Issy live under my skin all the time; even now, it's as if they're a part of me. I feel for John and Michael - life was so difficult for them. And I have a special place in my heart for Rose. She tried so hard to be a good mother. My mother was a single mother, and I was for a short while. It's one of the most difficult jobs in the world.

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:39:52

LyndaW

Hi saskia, did you have much say over the book jacket design? It's really beautiful.

Hi - thank you so much. I love the cover too! The team at Little, Brown are wonderful and they included me in everything, including the cover design. I gave my thoughts when it was discussed and was shown the design throughout all its different stages. But in the end, the credit is entirely with the designer at the publishers. She's done a great job.

cinnamonstix Wed 11-Sep-13 13:39:58

Hi Saskia. I haven't read the book yet (it's on the list though!), but am curious - how difficult is it raising twins? Did/do they ever suffer from sibling rivalry?

Bonsai Wed 11-Sep-13 13:43:55

Hello! Welcome to Gransnet smile What are your twins like with their other siblings? I imagine twins can be quite cliquey?

mushy Wed 11-Sep-13 13:45:32

Thank you so much for answering my question. I am interested to know if you think it is essential to do a writing course if you want to writ e a novel?

surfergirl Wed 11-Sep-13 13:45:49

Loved the book, but how do you find the time to write? I'm currently writing a book but it's taking me so long, life just gets in the way (work, children, house work etc). And I have an office job, so by the time I get the chance in the evening, I don't want to sit in front of a screen for another hour..

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:46:19

cinnamonstix

Hi Saskia. I haven't read the book yet (it's on the list though!), but am curious - how difficult is it raising twins? Did/do they ever suffer from sibling rivalry?

Hi - raising twins is different from bringing up a non-twin child. I had two single boys after having my girls and the girls were much naughtier and more tricky in every way! I've written a couple of articles about this subject and each time they came out I got lovely messages from other parents of twins telling me that they recognised the situations I'd described! So I think it's safe to say that managing twins, especially as toddlers, takes a lot of patience and energy. My girls don't exactly suffer from sibling rivalry - they have such a complicated relationship - in the end they squabble and fight, but they really do want the best for each other.

Nellyphant Wed 11-Sep-13 13:48:58

Hello Saskia

I've just started the book and it's hard to put down! My neighbour has 8-year-old identical girls who love pretending to be each other. I wondered if your daughters have ever tried that (and did they fool you if they did?)

threesugars Wed 11-Sep-13 13:49:13

How do you get yourself into a zone where you can write 'darkly'? Do you find it filters through to your everyday life? Or how do you shake it off come the end of a writing day?

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:50:59

mushy

Thank you so much for answering my question. I am interested to know if you think it is essential to do a writing course if you want to writ e a novel?

No - it's not essential. There are plenty of writers who haven't done one. I think it's a fairly 'modern' thing. But, having said that, it really did help me. I did an MA that had small groups and focused on lots of work-shopping and editing of each other's work. I found that to be incredibly useful. It helped me spot the mistakes in my own work. And it's lovely to have support from a group of people who understand what you're doing and what you're going through.There are all sorts of writing courses - they all offer slightly different things, so it's worth thinking about what you want out of it: close focus on a project you're already working on? Writing exercises to get you going? A chance to meet published authors/editors etc?
Hope that's helpful! Good luck with anything you write in the future.

Brie Wed 11-Sep-13 13:52:54

What were your/their favourite bedtime stories to read when they were younger?

SaskiaSarginson Wed 11-Sep-13 13:55:39

surfergirl

Loved the book, but how do you find the time to write? I'm currently writing a book but it's taking me so long, life just gets in the way (work, children, house work etc). And I have an office job, so by the time I get the chance in the evening, I don't want to sit in front of a screen for another hour..

Thank you! So glad you liked it.
I've been lucky in that I didn't have to go out to do a 9-5 job. My work was freelance and it was writing, so it was easier to find the time to do my own writing, as I was at my desk at home anyway. I find that the thing I can't fit in is my social life! While I'm writing, I can manage the house, animals and children, a bit of extra work, and that's it. So I really sympathise that coming home after a long day in the office and sitting down to write must be very hard. I think maybe you need to set aside a do-able 'writing time' on a weekly basis - the hours will mount up, as will the pages. It's easier if you have a routine. I know some writers who get up early and get in an hour before work - not sure if I could do that though! Good luck with it.

threesugars Wed 11-Sep-13 13:56:30

Have you daughters ever tried to trick you? Have they done anything funny using their identicalness?