Gransnet forums

Books/book club

NWR

(8 Posts)
Ziska Sun 22-Sep-13 13:50:50

Without doing a search,does anyone know what NWR is ?

Aka Sun 22-Sep-13 14:06:49

No

Ana Sun 22-Sep-13 14:16:51

And even with a search, there are many to choose from.

hespian Sun 22-Sep-13 21:33:13

I was a member of NWR in 70's/80's. It was the National Women's Register, a kind of non-domestic Women's Institute. I have no idea if it still exists.

yogagran Sun 22-Sep-13 21:41:37

Didn't it used to be the National Housewives Register?
I was a member back in the early 70's

annodomini Sun 22-Sep-13 21:51:33

Yes it was the NHR but as time went on, more and more of the members were working mums and the 'housewives' label somehow didn't seem appropriate any more. It started in 1961 by and for women who were at home with young children and missed the non-domestic conversation with other adults that they once had in the workplace. It was sparked by an article by Guardian journalist Betty Jerman and carried forward by Maureen Nicol. I joined it in 1973 and started a group where I lived, near Nottingham and another when we moved to Hinckley. I got involved again after I retired and the age profile is now a lot older than it was 40 years ago.

dahlia Sat 16-Nov-13 19:56:50

I was also a member of the NWR and it was a real brain-saver for me when the children were small. I met like-minded women from all walks of life, some of whom remain friends to this day. As our families grew up most of us returned to work and so our need for the NWR waned, but I have many happy memories of stimulating meetings and really interesting and lively women who had varied opinions and weren't afraid to agree to differ! My Mum came long, too, she said it made her brain "buzz"!

broomsticks Sat 16-Nov-13 22:31:55

I was a member in the latish 70s and it was still NHR then. A bit patronising.