Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The 100 year old man that climbed out of the window and disappeared

(27 Posts)
Cagsy Tue 01-Oct-13 17:44:07

Any Gransneters read this book? I thought it was possibly the most bizarre, clever and funny, funny book I've read. I also loved that someone to chose to write about an elderly person, and then give him such a thrilling life and exciting present.
I know we're all different so I may be alone in enjoying this so much - but I hope not.smile

bamba Tue 29-Oct-13 15:19:38

It is a great book - so full of humour. I gave it to my husband to read when I had finished it and he loved it too. It's a timely reminder that elderly people are more than just a frail old body but have lived a life and have achievements that should be celebrated. If you want to read something else that's is also a great read then try Sue Townsend's 'The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year'.

winifred01 Sun 27-Oct-13 15:37:39

I did not like it either. Did not finish it.

broomsticks Sat 12-Oct-13 15:48:49

I loved it too! I keep recommending it to people!

chitchat Sat 12-Oct-13 14:03:48

I paid 99p for it on my kindle, thought it was most amusing and different, will look out for this author's next book

Wendale Wed 09-Oct-13 03:42:06

Thought it was great! Something to laugh at in this old world. Rather like what we used to call "black humour". It was rather like a funny journey. Read it and enjoy!

mrshat Fri 04-Oct-13 20:21:35

I read it, and enjoyed it up to a point, but found it rather strange and a tad upsetting!

Bez Fri 04-Oct-13 16:52:38

grin. wine Speckie

MaggieP Fri 04-Oct-13 16:30:11

I have this book unread as yet and thanks to reading all your comments, will take it away with me this weekend to the Lake District where we hope to enjoy a good week of fresh air, walking and good weather with time to read at the end of the day!

specki4eyes Fri 04-Oct-13 11:16:24

You're not alone Bez. See you very soon by the way.

Wurzelernie Thu 03-Oct-13 18:39:27

We read it in our book club a few months back and all of us loved it, it had its laugh-out-loud moments and was the sort of book you didn't want to put down to go and get the supper. Would thoroughly recommend it.

grannyactivist Thu 03-Oct-13 11:22:05

I bought this on the recommendation of my twenty three year old son who loved it, but I haven't got round to starting it yet - will begin as soon as I've finished my current book.

henetha Thu 03-Oct-13 10:17:20

I asbsolutely loved this book when I read it a few months ago, and agree with annodomini that its worth a second read. I read it so fast to see what what going to happen that I missed some of the details, I think.
What huge research the writer must have done to be so knowleageable about world events. A great read from start to finish.

grandimars Thu 03-Oct-13 09:15:09

I read it on the beach a couple of months ago and found it quirky and enjoyable as a light read.

Maniac Thu 03-Oct-13 05:17:51

I put this on my Kindle some months ago on the recommendation of someone on GN .Enjoyed it.

Daisyanswerdo Wed 02-Oct-13 23:10:29

Not a lone voice Bez.

Bez Wed 02-Oct-13 21:30:00

I realise I am a lone voice but I did not like the book at all - they all liked it in my book club too.

Elegran Wed 02-Oct-13 21:17:32

I never really thought if him as real - and the incredible number of bizarre and pivotal events that he was part of in his hundred years reinforced that impression. It is a kind of fairy tale.

specki4eyes Wed 02-Oct-13 21:14:50

I started to read this book and I found it very disturbing. It made me feel very upset. I asked myself why and I decided that it was just that he was SO old! If he had been 80 perhaps, well then I would have felt more comfortable - he may have had a viable future! The thought of him being out there, alone and very old, frightened me. It was quite a bizarre reaction and I'm so relieved that those of you who have read it all the way through found it amusing.

goldengirl Wed 02-Oct-13 12:23:53

One of the best books ever I would say! It had me laughing out loud - and everything is almost just possible isn't it? Well, almost!!! I highly recommend it which is unusual for me.

hespian Tue 01-Oct-13 20:20:14

We had this as our "Book Club" book a few months ago and we all really enjoyed it!

MrsJamJam Tue 01-Oct-13 20:03:50

Absolutely loved it, so did DH.

MrsM Tue 01-Oct-13 19:44:06

This is a wonderful book, engaging from the outset and pretty-much un-put-downable. It's a very easy read despite its quirkiness

annodomini Tue 01-Oct-13 19:05:40

Yes - I couldn't put it down. I may have to read it again, because it's such a roller-coaster that it's hard to remember what happens and when it happens!

HildaW Tue 01-Oct-13 18:25:57

My 25 year old daughter read it and loved it....suppose I ought to give it a try.

petallus Tue 01-Oct-13 18:25:45

I read it a few months ago. I thought it was a wonderful book, absolutely brilliant.