Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Little Old Lady who Broke all the Rules - add your questions

(97 Posts)
ffinnochio Thu 26-Dec-13 13:22:54

Thank you for my copy of this book GNHQ! I received it in this morning's post (the French don't observe Boxing Day). I was very taken with the title, which is why I entered for the Book Giveaway. I'll review it anon.
A lovely surprise gift, which had me wondering for a moment just who might have sent it.......until I remembered! smile

kinjil Fri 10-Jan-14 10:42:01

Finding the book great fun although a little far fetched. Had no problems with translation and agree with others that it would make a great film/tv series. Care homes are struggling with finance in this country too and certainly Waiting for God was an exaggerated example of how to manage! I am also reading The Hundred Year Old Man etc etc and finding that a more laugh out loud improbable story but great fun and very inventive. This is what I love about Scandinavian writers.

kinjil Fri 10-Jan-14 10:43:10

Forgot to thank Gransnet for the book. Love the club and look forward to more in future.

Crocky Fri 10-Jan-14 13:33:20

I received this book and thank you. I read it and enjoyed it. My question is that not all 70+ year olds are walking with zimmer frames so was it necessary to use them so much?
At 73 I am quite capable of walking without one.
However only nit picking really, it was light easy read.

mischief Fri 10-Jan-14 14:24:40

Thank you so much for sending this book. Initially I didn't think it was my type of book but I really got into it and I must say I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have had a few giggles and yes some of it is a bit far fetched but it is fiction after all. The Zimmer frames became a means to an end after they built their muscles up in the gym.

I don't think the police are very competent in this world of theirs and thats why they got away with everything but it's light hearted, good, clean fun.

I did pick up a few tips for when I get to the 'home' stage and kind of looking forward to it now :-D

Annie29 Fri 10-Jan-14 15:06:47

Thank you for my copy. I enjoyed reading this and a plus it made me laugh.
My question is are the five based on any one in real life?

radval Fri 10-Jan-14 16:49:21

So pleased to get this book and have managed to open it but haven't had time to read yet.
Many thanks and I'll endeavour to get to the end in time.

Nelliemoser Fri 10-Jan-14 17:14:40

I am really surprised people are worrying about such issues as whether or not they really needed Zimmer frames. That is quite irrelevant, the story is enjoyable as it is.
It is meant to be humorous, in such stories anything goes, you have to suspend your disbelief and just go with the flow of the story. It is not meant to be thought of as real. confused

NannaAnna Fri 10-Jan-14 22:36:02

I'm afraid the book left me completely cold. I tried to read it thoroughly but ended up skimming through most of it because I found the writing style terribly pedestrian and uninspiring. The story did not engage me at all, and I was irritated by the rather preachy segments when having a go at the care system. I also fall into the camp of those narked by the over-use of Zimmer frames! There are enough stereotypes of older people around without authors reinforcing them! All in all a very unsatisfactory read.
Perhaps a lot was lost in translation, but the plot didn't hold up for me either.

Soutra Fri 10-Jan-14 23:31:12

Quite entertaining but not enjoying the translation - quite childish and does the book no favours.

DavidH22 Sat 11-Jan-14 11:45:09

Like some others I found the plot too silly - a cross between the Keystone Kops and a Carry On film - but after a while the characters grew on me and I found I wanted them to be happy in their lives and succeed in their final crime. It's a fun read and light reading and I'm happy to have it on my bookshelf. Many thanks for my copy.
Question for Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg: Is your portrayal of an old people's home based on any facts - a court case in your country for instance - or is it purely fiction? Do you fear getting old?

joannapiano Wed 15-Jan-14 09:24:33

Has Queen Silvia really had a face lift? (page 274) And all her country knows about it?

purplehairstreak Thu 16-Jan-14 11:24:22

I was suprised and delighted when the book arrived on Christmas Eve, like a present. With family from the US staying for 3 weeks over the holiday period, I've was only able to get started on it a few days ago, after they left. I found the descriptive blurb enticing, which is why I applied for a copy of the book, but having started it I'm afraid I've fallen into the "not for me" camp, and am with NannaAnna on some of the points she makes.

I've tried several times to engage with the story, and also wonder if something has been lost in translation as I found the style dull and the pace slow. I didn't really care what happened to the characters, and although Martha, as a retired teacher, has something about her, I started to feel the whole atmosphere of the story was quite claustrophobic and repetitive.

This set me wondering if this was a deliberate device on the part of the author - was purpose of the author to make the reader feel like one of the residents of the home? Or was it just my response? And was the use of comparing the way the home was run with a prison a social/political comment on the way old people are treated in homes, i.e. worse than prisoners? I've worked as a geriatric social work assistant, and I'd say that the home where the characters live is a pretty bad one!

Afraid the book wasn't for me at all, but my questions for Catharina are:

Those mentioned above, plus

Did you visit several old person's homes in your research for this book -good and bad?

Did you have a yen to write a crime novel and decide to set it in this quirky format?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jan-14 23:22:41

I do not believe that a reasonable intake of sugar will give you arthritis. Or cancer.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jan-14 23:24:16

Both of those diseases are likely to be due to genetics. Or more harmful substances such as tobacco and alcohol. Or ageing.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jan-14 23:25:41

Wrong effing thread. hmm

Flowerofthewest Sat 18-Jan-14 23:27:06

Oh jingle grin

Flowerofthewest Sat 18-Jan-14 23:27:39

Was trying to work out which chapter you were referring to jingle confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 18-Jan-14 23:29:42

Sorry! grin

Flowerofthewest Sat 18-Jan-14 23:32:08

Regarding Scandinavian countries caring for their own elderly: I am/was a great fan of a singer called Johnny Silvo who lived in Norway. He said more than once that he was shocked at how many elderly British people are in nursing homes or care homes. He said that it is unknown in Norway.

Also how does the author feel about the way the translation came across. Although I enjoyed the book I did find some of it simplistic and naive.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-14 12:37:00

Hi there - we have now sent the questions off to Catharina and will post her answers as soon as we get them back.

Galen Mon 20-Jan-14 12:57:36

Kat when do we get the hairy bikers one?

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 20-Jan-14 13:21:56

Galen

Kat when do we get the hairy bikers one?

At some point today/tomorrow smile

Galen Mon 20-Jan-14 13:23:48

grin

hollystone Mon 27-Jan-14 19:52:23

Thank you for my Book The Little Old Lady who Broke all the Rules.
I have read it, and although it is not the best book I have ever read I found it pleasant. I have passed it onto my Mother-In-Law who said she is enjoying it. I do hope she doesn't get any ideas though ;-)

Cressida Sun 02-Feb-14 00:34:59

I mentioned reading the book to a friend. I didn't tell her too much about the plot but did mention the raid on the kitchen & she said that it sounds very similar to a Pauline Collins film 'Mrs Caldicot's Cabbage War'. I'd never heard of the film so googled it and found a BBC review www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/01/03/mrs_caldicots_cabbage_war_2003_review.shtml

'Appalled by the treatment her fellow senior citizens are receiving from the uncaring staff and manager (John Alderton), Mrs Caldicot organizes a revolution amongst the wrinklies. They refuse to eat the endless cabbage dinners the staff serve them and sneak out of the home for some proper fun on the bowling green.'

'while the patients eat cabbage, the manager feasts on lobster and chases the home's matron around the desk'

Has anyone seen the film?