Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading.

(190 Posts)
Humbertbear Tue 31-Dec-13 12:31:43

I am reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. It's Part 1 of a trilogy and the film is out in April, can't wait! It's set in Chicago in a distopian future when 16 year olds have to select which tribe they belong to. The tribes live separately and have different roles in society. I don't want to give too much away but suffice it to say that it is lunchtime and I am still in bed reading it! I keep promising myself just one more chapter .....
It was a Kindle Daily Deal this week and both my daughter and I were hooked from page 1 of the sample.

TerriBull Tue 30-Dec-14 11:29:03

I'm reading The Girl Next Door by Ruth Rendell, a Christmas present which I'm enjoying and have two more non fiction books by the side of my bed for dipping into and taking my time over, Victoria a life by A.N. Wlson and Selfish Whining Monkeys by Rod Liddle.

Margaret X I have also read The Unknown Bridesmaid by Margaret Foster along with many of her other books, I was sad to read recently that she is dying. Her latest book is a factual account of all the houses she has ever lived in, I don't know whether it will be her last, hope not, such a good writer.

numberplease Tue 30-Dec-14 15:47:54

I enjoyed Lynda Bellingham`s book, although tinged with sadness when I had to keep reminding myself that she`s no longer around. A good read though. I`m just about to start Deserve to Die, by Lisa Jackson.

eGJ Wed 31-Dec-14 12:45:33

Louise Penny novels............sorry it's taken so long absent and mollie65. absent PLEASE read HOW THE LIGHT GETS IN for some reassurance re Beauvoir and then THE LONG WAY HOME .....you'll really enjoy how things develop. How the Light gets in ties up the threads from the previous 9 books! Chateau Frontenac is a wonderful building and Quebec is just as she describes. The Long Way Home takes us a little further in the story and I've just been told that number 11 is nearly complete. So glad to find other Louise Penny readers. smile smile

grannyjan57 Sun 19-Apr-15 19:51:54

Enjoyed that very much just started the follow up, "The Rosie Effect" so far just as good and amusing.

grannyjan57 Sun 19-Apr-15 19:53:29

Enjoyed that very much just started the follow up, "The Rosie Effect" so far just as good and amusing.

grannyjan57 Sun 19-Apr-15 19:56:21

Yes, just finished it. Probably not as absorbing as I expected, but did enjoy it very much.

whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 21:18:11

Lamentation - latest Shardlake. I think I am a bit Shardlaked out really as I loved the first, and second and third etc but now find this OK but nothing to get too excited about.

Lys60 Wed 24-Jun-15 20:56:22

Thoroughly enjoying at the moment Us by David Nicholls author of One Day which I also loved and saw the movie too.

Prior to this, read The Help-excellent too.

Have any of you read books by Hilary Boyd? Thought I would try one next.

numberplease Wed 24-Jun-15 22:06:14

Just lately I`ve departed from my usual thriller menu, and have been reading books set in and around WW2, and thoroughly enjoying them. Can`t remember all the authors, but 2 that stick in my mind are Annie Murray and Ruth Hamilton. I`m now back with the thrillers, reading No Safe House, by Linwood Barclay, enjoying it so far.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Jun-15 22:15:19

I have just finished That Old Ace in the Hole by Annie Proulx. It was a bit hard to get into, but once in I didn't want it to end. A book you want to live in.

I wonder if someone on here recommended it. Can't remember.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 24-Jun-15 22:16:56

I started Lamentation whitewave, but left it awhile as I didn't get straight in. I must revisit it.

TriciaF Sun 28-Jun-15 14:17:11

Has anyone read Isa & May by Margaret Forster? My friend lent it to me, and I've just finished it.
It's about a young woman and her relationships with her 2 very different grandmothers. Also she's doing a PhD about famous grandmothers eg Elizabeth Fry, Queen Victoria.
I don't know what to make of it, novels aren't my cup of tea at the moment, but it's interesting from the point of view of being a grandmother.
Margaret Forster is married to Hunter Davies

loopylou Sun 28-Jun-15 14:36:11

I'm reading 'The Skeleton Cupboard' by Tanya Byron who's a clinical psychologist, and it's recalling cases from her first placements. It's a very powerful and poignant description of the relationships between client and her within a healthcare system sometimes struggling to meet the demand.
I was also dipping in and out of 'Still Alice' but my DD's borrowed it!

NanKate Sun 28-Jun-15 15:26:02

I have just started 'Paying Guests' by Sarah Waters set in 1920s London. She is a brilliant author and I have loved all her books.