Gransnet forums

Books/book club

C J Sansom

(29 Posts)
rosesarered Fri 24-Jan-14 09:44:04

Have just recently discovered this author, and must say I am really impressed! Halfway through Dominion at the moment [There was never a second world war, but Germany and the Nazis now run the UK. Set in a very grey England in the 1950's] However I thought that Winter In Madrid[set in Spain during/after Civil war there] was even better! Such wonderful writing, and a page turner kind of book as well, brilliant. He also writes the historical novels [series] with MattthewShardlake, lawyer, murder mysteries, Revelation was one that I read recently.

JessM Fri 24-Jan-14 09:46:22

Agreed. The only one I have not terribly enjoyed was the most recent Shardlake one which was less good IMO.
Interesting essay on Scottish nationalism at the end of Dominion.

annodomini Fri 24-Jan-14 10:11:31

I've read all the Shardlake novels and agree with you Jess about the most recent one. I felt that he was running out of steam, not to mention that the character was getting older and more incapacitated.

JessM Fri 24-Jan-14 10:54:55

Sansom has been ill so maybe that explains it - I felt it was all contrived to reach the inevitable climax.

numberplease Fri 24-Jan-14 15:41:05

I`ve read and loved all the Matthew Shardlake novels, but haven`t yet read Dominion or Winter in Madrid, must rectify that.

tiggypiro Fri 24-Jan-14 18:11:33

Just getting into Winter in Madrid and loving it.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Jan-14 18:26:17

This thread made me look at his books on Amazon again, and I have realised I missed the last Shardlake one! Heartstone. How did that happen!

But I am so very pleased! Have been without a decent book since I finished the Game of Thrones ones.

Bought it on Kindle. So can read straight away.

Thanks so much for this thread rosesarered. cupcake

rosesarered Sat 25-Jan-14 17:27:51

Don't mention it Jingl and thanks for the virtual iced cake! I am going to read everything that Sansom has written, what a shame he is/has been ill.
It's always wonderful to discover a new writer that you like isn't it?

rosesarered Sat 25-Jan-14 17:28:56

Also, so far I think all his books would make wonderful films.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jan-14 17:33:15

Hmm. I'm just about to watch the Game of Thrones ones on box set. I'm hoping it doesn't "spoil" the books though. But yes, agree about the Shardlake ones.

Galen Sat 25-Jan-14 17:52:19

When is the next game of thrones book out. I read all the ones to date while off work with my shoulder.
As I have no work after 15feb as ATOS seem to have gone on strike or something I'm going to be desparate!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Jan-14 21:04:52

I think he's writing it now Galen. Hopefully will be out this summer.

Galen Sat 25-Jan-14 21:06:02

Can't wait that long!

Deedaa Sat 25-Jan-14 22:11:38

I hadn't read any historical fiction for years and only picked up Dissolution because I desperately needed a book. I was instantly hooked and read them all back to back. With my interest in the Tudors reignited I then went on to read a whole range of books about Henry VIII and Elizabeth and a really interesting one about Mary I (So much more to her than burning protestants) I agree that Heartstone wasn't quite as good as the others, although I still found myself worrying about him drowning on the Mary Rose when he obviously would survive to finish telling the story!

numberplease Sat 25-Jan-14 23:19:22

Sansom`s books give a great insight into life in Tudor times, still not sure if I fancy the others.

Thistledoo Sun 26-Jan-14 10:49:48

I have read all the Matthew Shardlake novels. I thought they were wonderful. I felt that Heartstone was left with a bit of an open end so C.J. Sansom might consider coming up with a further book. I did not fancy Dominion, was it a good read or was it too far fetched. Would anyone recommend it.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jan-14 11:03:28

Yes Thistledo I do reccommend it [I am half way through] it's a slow burner kind of novel but so believable a good example of 'the banality of evil' and quite topical also as there is [or has been for the last few years]an upsurge of people all over the world to get rid of dictatorships at a hard personal cost.I think it may well be standard reading in schools for the future, and I hope it will.

JessM Sun 26-Jan-14 11:04:42

Dominion was gripping.
Any other ideas on quality historical authors?
I read all the fact-based Phillipa Gregories (I tried one of the Wildacre ones and thought - hmm, she's improved a lot since she wrote this)
Also all the Sharon Penman's available on Amazon.

rosesarered Sun 26-Jan-14 11:13:16

JessM have you read the Hilary Mantel books, Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies?She is a brilliant historical writer.

Natsnan Sun 26-Jan-14 11:20:54

Have you tried Edward Rutherfurd? Sarum, The forest, London and now I'm ploughing my way through Paris. He gives you a brilliant insight into the history of places by looking at the lives of ordinary(and some not so ordinary!) families through the ages. Worth a try .

Deedaa Sun 26-Jan-14 18:32:11

I gather there is another Shardlake book on the way. I believe ha has the same cancer as DH so the writing has probably been hard depending on the treatment.
I enjoyed Wolf Hall (in spite of it being a Booker Prize winner) but I really loved Bring Up The Bodies. Her writing really seemed to flow so that I didn't want it to stop.

numberplease Sun 26-Jan-14 22:09:13

In an interview a couple of years ago, Sansom said that he thought there could only be one more Shardlake story, as they would be moving out of the Tudor era by then.

JessM Sun 26-Jan-14 22:10:43

oh yes I read Sarum ages and ages ago - thanks. Hated Wolf Hall though sad

annodomini Sun 26-Jan-14 22:35:48

I didn't enjoy Wolf Hall or Bring up the Bodies. I seem to have done Tudor history at every level at school, so knew a bit about it. Her style really annoyed me especially as she always referred to Cromwell as 'he' or 'him', never by name unless it was in the mouth of another character.

rosesarered Mon 27-Jan-14 20:37:53

People seem to either love or hate Hilary Mantel's writing, a bit like Marmite! Must admit I love it, and feel 'oh no!' when coming to the end of the book.