Gransnet forums

Books/book club

The Mouseproof Kitchen - Q&A

(87 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 04-Feb-14 14:48:16

Those who were lucky enough to win copies of this month's book club choice should have received their books.

Author Saira Shah will be doing a Q&A later in the month - so do add your questions for her here. (For those who don't yet have a copy details about the book and how to get one here

<<<<UPDATE>>>>

Saira has now answered your questions - you can read what she has to say from here

SairaShah Mon 24-Feb-14 11:43:10

Marelli

I really did enjoy the book. I was able to understand the fear and tangled emotions of both Anna and Tobias as they struggled to cope with their baby. I worked for many years with young people (not babies) who had severe learning and physical disabilities, and so many of the parents of these children and young adults spoke of their despair and frustrations when faced with the problems, both personally and with the authorities, that they faced on a daily basis and also how they sometimes fought against the final decisions to tube-feed their child. Some seemed to feel as if in allowing this, that they were no longer able to nourish their child themselves, which is surely a basic need for any parent.
I'd like to ask Saira one question (although the link that penguinpaperback was really informative). Saira, you have shown in your novel that your relationship with your mother changed as you recognised that you couldn't be parted from Freya. Did you have a similar relationship with your own mother as Ailsa was growing? I hope this isn't too personal a question to be asking.
Thank you.

Thanks for your comments. Yes, I wanted to deal with the things that are difficult sometimes to express about disability: that you can feel a failure, you can be unsure as to how much you will be able to love your child. Right at the beginning, a primitive part of your brain (which probably helped our prehistoric ancestors survive) tries to do a sort of calculation in your head: ‘how much love and care can I afford to invest in this child?’ But of course life, and love, doesn’t work like that...

And in answer to your question - Not at all Marelli. Anna’s mother is a very different personality to mine. My real mother (who has recently passed away but who read, and loved, the book) was more accepting of Ailsa than Anna’s mother is of Freya. But the two mothers are parallel. Both of them are trying to make sense of what has happened. Some of the crazy things Anna’s mother says (such as “you can even train a slug”) were said by my mother. And like Anna’s mother, my own mother had a struggle at first to work out if her loyalties were with her daughter or her grand-daughter. All the rest is fiction.

SairaShah Mon 24-Feb-14 11:41:32

nonnanna

Thank you for my copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen. It was a great, addictive read and as mentioned in other posts, very thought provoking. I had questions for Saira but having read the article in the above link they've already been answered. I love the title of the book - it hints at some things you can control and others...?? No chance! Sending special thoughts to Saira, her family and her friends. Will there be a sequel?

Thanks so much for your lovely comments, Nonnanna. You’ve hit the nail on the head about the theme of just how much of life one can control. Anna is learning to let go and roll with the punches. I’m working on another novel now but it’s not about Anna, Tobias and Freya. I’d like to write a sequel one day though – perhaps visiting them ten years on!

penguinpaperback Mon 24-Feb-14 10:22:57

I read this piece by Saira yesterday and thought anyone who has read her book might be interested.
www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10644585/We-chose-to-bring-up-our-severely-disabled-child-in-France.html

happysouls Sun 23-Feb-14 17:24:22

Thanks for sending me a copy! I really enjoyed it, gripped! I found that I was willing the characters to do (or not do!) certain things throughout and was also mentally pondering each of the options at each stage and thinking through how it might turn out if the book took that direction. Thought provoking. I liked the humour and the bluntness of some of the options, it didn't shy away from anything or try to gloss it over. I would never choose to read a real life memoir with this subject matter, but as a work of fiction it worked for me. Thankyou to Saira Shah and I wish you and your family all the very best.

thatbags Wed 19-Feb-14 21:16:17

Two yets. Oh dear.

thatbags Wed 19-Feb-14 21:15:49

I found the beginning hard but the characters are growing on me and I want to know more about them. The story is fascinating. I love the little details about Rose Donnadieu and about the Maquis.

I haven't thought of a question yet, but I may yet.

mrsmopp Wed 19-Feb-14 21:06:17

I find this book unusual and I'm completely engrossed it. Not one I had heard of so grateful thanks to gransnet for this opportunity.
Now eagerly awaiting the next book by this wonderful writer.
Saira, are you a chef too, like your heroine?

pennwood Tue 18-Feb-14 11:26:06

I am only up to page 149 but really surprised with myself that I am enjoying this genre of book as it is so different to my usual read. My heart goes out to Anna & Tobias & can sympathise in how they both react to Freya. I am dying to get the book finished.

glammanana Mon 17-Feb-14 14:53:27

Thank you so much for my copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen,Do you think Saria that Anna & Tobias would have received the same kind of help from friends locally as they did from Gustav,Kerim & Lizzy if they had not moved to France ? I thought the discription of Ludovic's emotions when he and Therese had their baby very emotional indeed so well written.
I will never look at Parmesan in the same way again after the discription of how to rid ones house of rats (page 207).
Excellent book really enjoyed it thanks so much once again.

nannyann5 Sun 16-Feb-14 20:36:34

I was lucky enough to win a copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen and enjoyed reading it very much. I did find it puzzling why a couple with a newborn disabled daughter would subject themselves to life in such a rundown house, and felt myself feeling quite annoyed with Tobias at times, for not pulling his weight, but on the whole, an interesting and emotional read. I would like to ask Saira if there any plans for a follow-up book?

merlotgran Sun 16-Feb-14 16:30:01

I have really enjoyed this wonderful book and found myself really caring about all the characters although Tobias took a bit of effort!! I think Anna's controlled neglect of Freya was necessary for the story to have direction and I found it easy to empathise with her frustrated maternal instincts being channelled into cooking, cleaning and organising the domestic front.

Saira, As Anna seemed to live her life quite recklessly (not using contraception) and despite the exhausting routine of Freya's care needs, why did you decide to end her second pregnancy in a miscarriage even though it was not a result of her one night stand with Julien?

The link with Rose, her recipes and role in WW2 reminded me a little of Joanne Harris' Five Quarters Of The Orange.

Maggiemaybe Fri 14-Feb-14 18:50:05

I'm finding The Mouseproof Kitchen very enjoyable and well-written, if upsetting at times. I'm having to suspend my disbelief rather a lot - surely nobody would even consider a move into that wreck of a house with a vulnerable baby with such severe disabilities, and would the social services of any country in Europe actually allow it? No water supply, no cooking facilities, no proper sewage system, rats (let alone so far from family and friends and with an absolute pig of a husband)??!! But hey-ho, it's fiction, and not a biography.

My question to Saira would be - you say in your interview in the Telegraph that your mother is actually a lot less conventional than Anna’s eccentric mother, Amelia. confused I'm not halfway through the book yet, but Amelia seems like a complete fruitcake to me. Please tell us more about your mother - she must be quite a character! grin

coffecup Fri 14-Feb-14 14:29:28

Thank you for mouseproof kitchen found it hard going at times but
will percever to the end thought the rats were a bit over the top

annemac101 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:25:04

I am really enjoying this book,apart from being annoyed at Tobias. I think knowing the author had much the same experiences gives the story more authenticity. No one knows how they would react if they were faced with a baby with severe disabilities, I think also if you're told your child may have a shorted life you would be scared to love her and try to protect your heart.
As for the comment about the French respite in the author's real life situation,I think that was very hurtful. A full time carer needs respite if only to keep themselves sane and come back from it refreshed ready to carry on. I can only think you have no idea about children with special needs.
I'd like to ask the author if she plans to carry on writing more books and how much does she miss the adrenalin rush she must have had from making documentaries in dangerous places.

Fid Fri 14-Feb-14 13:07:11

Lucky to have received this book, which I have just started to read. I am thinking it CAN'T be fictional, it has such a powerful beginning. I must get back to it.......

granfromafar Thu 13-Feb-14 21:23:22

Thanks so much for my free copy which I have just finished reading. Mixed feelings about it - part enjoyment, part irritation with some of the characters. I felt as if I was reading it as if I was watching a scary film through my hands, not really wanting to see what was happening but not being able to look away. Annoyed with Anna when she ran away and got on a flight back to England (How did she have here passport with her? It seemed to be a spur-of -the-moment decision!)

cazthebookworm Thu 13-Feb-14 15:27:34

Thank you for the book which I read on holiday. Not really a cheerful read but very moving and so well put across, I really felt the emotions that Anna was going through, it felt very real, almost like a biography. Was it an easy transition going from the extreme career you once had to becoming a mother of a severely disabled child, and which do you think brings you the most fulfillment? I am full of admiration for both roles.

emmasnan Thu 13-Feb-14 13:53:56

I found this an interesting but very sad book.
Tobias really annoys me!

Did you plan to make him so irritating when you started out to write the book?

Cagsy Thu 13-Feb-14 10:53:12

Thanks for the book, like tttJay I'm not sure I'd have bought it either. I didn't read about Saira until I'd finished the book and having done so had lots of my questions answered. I did keep wondering; can parents really choose not to love their baby? Does it really get so bad that you would consider walking away? I guess you're planning for your daughter's future, how difficult is the knowledge that at some stage as she grows you won't be able to manage without a lot of help? Do you feel isolated from other parents and 'family life'?
On a practical level I too couldn't understand what you were living on during all this time in France, nor why you'd live in a place infested with rodents with a tiny baby - can you help us understand that?
Many thanks and good luck to you all, may you stay strong enough to face all that life may throw at you.
Cagsy

DavidH22 Thu 13-Feb-14 10:50:35

Many thanks for my copy. I found it very thought-provoking and emotional to get an insight into the thoughts of those who suddenly find themselves with a disabled child. Like Tobias I have no idea how I would have reacted in the short or long-term although he deserved to have his head shoved into Anna's Lacanche Range cooker for some of his remarks and actions.
Can I ask Ms Shah her views on the way we look after disabled children in this country and whether we still try to make them invisible, subconsciously or not?

penguinpaperback Wed 12-Feb-14 22:07:38

I also hope you write a sequel Saira, I bought my copy after reading the article with you in The Telegraph. Reading the Notes and Acknowledgements at the end I read the book had been written at the time when you had virtually no sleep! I'm passing my copy onto my daughter, I found it such an enjoyable and inspiring read.

Annie29 Wed 12-Feb-14 19:46:42

Thank you for my copy of The Mouseproof Kitchen. What a great read, I got into it straight away and can not put it down. I am really enjoying reading this book.
I will look out for future books by this Author

ChrisR Wed 12-Feb-14 19:21:41

I didn't enjoy The Mouseproof Kitchen, I liked the title and the front cover. I have lived in a ''derelict but habitable'' cottage, with water from a bore hole and rodents as uninvited lodgers! Definitely NOT the place for a new born. Find it difficult to understand why parents would do this.

pattieb Wed 12-Feb-14 17:52:48

Thank you for my copy of the book I have only just started it and to date am finding it very interesting. I have read the Telegraph article and am fascinated by your family history Saira. I also very much admire you for not sending your Daughter to board at school.

suzied Wed 12-Feb-14 15:29:53

Question: How did Saira find the time to write the book whilst caring for her disabled child? Did she have lots of support? Was writing the book therapeutic?